Two years and going strong.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Timothy Cook

Two years and going strong.

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 2:17 pm

To Blackmagic Design,
I know y'all don't always reply to post, but I do know y'all read them. And I know we mostly complain and give back little thanks... we are only human. ;) So I officially wanted to say Thank You for what y'all do.

I remember reading somewhere that Grant said, he wanted to get cinema quality camera's into the hands of the everyday shooters. (summarizing)
I really wanted to say thanks for the Pocket! I have used it as a run and gun event camera for two years now, and have subjected it to multiple shooting scenarios. I've shot in the rain, 115 degree Texas heat, cold Texas sleet, harsh Texas sunlight, almost no light, random available lighting, studio lighting, handheld, on gimbals, four day shoots with nothing to backup or charge, I've dropped at 30 plus mph, cracked and bent the housing, and through all of this it has been nothing but stellar.

I remember stumbling across this site two years ago and seeing the Pocket in front of a picture of bikes chained to a bike rack. At that time there was nothing even close in that price range, still isn't, that could do what the Pocket does. I decided to buy it and I haven't looked back.

I grew up spending countless hours watching BMX and skate videos and after would open hours out side practicing tricks I had just watched the Pro's on TV do.
Last year I had a young cyclist come up to me and told me he watches my videos before he goes outside and rides. He said it always makes him ride harder.
At that point his words meant more than any pay check I had received for completed work. I had a little flash back moment of myself too.

The Pocket has made me money, and along with the community has thought me a lot about cinematography. I truly do look forward, as many of us here do, to what you will bring us in the future.
Thank you Grant and the entire BMD team. Keep up the good work!
Tim Cook

I've included a compilation edit of some of the events I have shot with the pocket. All footage is from the same BMD Pocket Cinema.
Last edited by Timothy Cook on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

Re: Two years and going strong.

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Timothy:

Thanks for the note. Love to see footage like that and hear how the cameras are being used.

Although I have to ask. At around :19, what exactly was that guy doing? :lol:

Timothy Cook

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Terry Frechette wrote:Timothy:

Thanks for the note. Love to see footage like that and hear how the cameras are being used.

Although I have to ask. At around :19, what exactly was that guy doing? :lol:

You're welcome.
I looks like he's having the time of his life. lol
Vimeo.com/dropbars

David Fernandes

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Nice! Nice sports camera work! I'm actually surprised by how well it holds up considering it's not global shutter. Great little camera!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard L Hughes

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 pm

What shutter angle are you using? Looks great. I also love my Pocket. I would like to get more since the quality is amazing for what it is. just hoping for a price drop to by 2. maybe after NAB? I do mostly interview style but am starting to get into High school promo videos for potential college athletes. I'm looking at the mini4k with the global shutter. Thanks BMD.

Timothy Cook

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 pm

David Fernandes wrote:Nice! Nice sports camera work! I'm actually surprised by how well it holds up considering it's not global shutter. Great little camera!

Thanks for the kind words.
I know right? It's amazing what this little camera is capable of.

Howard L Hughes wrote:What shutter angle are you using? Looks great. I also love my Pocket. I would like to get more since the quality is amazing for what it is. just hoping for a price drop to by 2. maybe after NAB? I do mostly interview style but am starting to get into High school promo videos for potential college athletes. I'm looking at the mini4k with the global shutter. Thanks BMD.

Thank you!
I stick with 180 with everything I shoot now. I've tried faster shutter angles but find the motion to be really distracting. It looks like everyone is "Pop and Locking" lol.
I would rather have the athletes a little blurred while moving fast to keep a natural shot and not pull someone out of the story I'm trying to tell.

Yeah the mini 4K would be awesome, but I'm not up to that budget, yet.

Thanks for watching guys!
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words Timothy. I'll certainly communicate this to the team.

Paul Kapp

PostWed Mar 23, 2016 3:00 am

Nice work Timothy

Timothy Cook

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks Paul.

Kristian, y'all earned the praise for sure. Please do pass it on.
Thanks.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Bobby Lupo

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Thanks for the kind words Timothy. I'll certainly communicate this to the team.

Please do! The pocket is an amazing camera, I've said before, I think it's the greatest camera ever made for low budget indie productions. People get tied up with the crop factor and battery life etc, but if you treat it like a s16mm camera you get great results, and can come pretty close in look to films like the wrestler, black swan or Babel.
Last year I started a doc on a dslr and was so unhappy with the quality, I didn't feel like I was preserving anything, I knew that in a few years the footage would like ****. Halfway through I switched to the pocket and haven't looked back, with the 12bit raw cinemaDNG I feel like I'm doing my subjects justice by capturing them with a level of quality that is an industry standard. And BMD gave me that for a few hundred bucks instead of a few thousand.

Aliasing is the biggest hurdle and I would love a little more res, but overall I wouldn't change a thing, not even the formfactor. I don't usually participate in a forum like this but I wanted to offer my opinion in the hope that we will see a Pocket v2 sometime in the future.

Bobby Lupo

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 3:12 pm

And Timothy, really nice job with the photography . I'm a lifetime cyclist as well and I totally understand your passion, the POV shots from the bike are great, nice feeling of speed that's hard to convey through video.

John Fishback

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Great work. I particularly like the clip where the cyclists almost pop on the screen in time to the music.
John Fishback

Return to Cinematography