Smallrig -not recommended for a BMCC rig

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

François Giroux

Smallrig -not recommended for a BMCC rig

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 2:23 am

I was looking for a rig for my BMPC 4k, I ordered a kit for the camera.

That rig needs 7 screws total to build properly according the their own spec, and as displayed on their web site, it shipped with 7 screws.

They shipped mine with 6 screws, and when I asked for another one, they responded that it needs 6 screws to be built properly.

I responded, "look at own your webpage, it is listed as coming with 7 screws."

then they floored me:
"oh the web page is wrong, we ship kits with the minimum number of screws now, if it can be built with 6 screws then we ship it with 6 screws, I am going to correct the webpage now"

...and they changed their webpage now listing 6 screws as part of the package.
You see how it looks like? I see a missing screw! ...but not them

...since then they shipped me different screws as a replacement (cheaper ones), and now say that they do not ship the screw I previously got (and need) anymore! So in my new rig screws do not match and I need 2 tools to get my camera out now.

So be warned, the screws they ship now are NOT the ones pictured on their website, and the number can fluctuate between your payment and when they actually ship it to you.

well thank you very much SMALLRIG! as their own Slogan, Small rig, big surprise!

Andrew Bell

Re: Smallrig -not recommended for a BMCC rig

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Thank you a lot for posting this! I just thinked about to get the cage from smallrig for my BMPC too.
Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

John Palaganas

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 1:58 pm

I had a positive experience with their customer service before. I bought a monitor mount/arm and the wingnut broke. I sent them an email with photos detailing it. They were nice enough to help me out and send a replacement.

I purchased many items from them because they are cheap and what I don't like is the quality. Some are very questionable, they can easily break. I would not trust something heavy and expensive to support your gear.

You have to be careful on what to buy, if its something simple like a rod, cheese plate or anything that cannot do potential damage to your gear then do so. Be careful about how an item like a handle will attach to your cage. The type of "attachment" like rosette, clamp, wingnut etc...is the questionable part. Choose the one that uses a screw, it's stronger.

BTW I have a BMCC/BMPC4K cage from them, it's holding up for over 2 years now. Would I buy it again? No, I would consider something more robust and not lego like way to assemble it. You get what you pay for.

François Giroux

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:52 pm

John Palaganas wrote:BTW I have a BMCC/BMPC4K cage from them, it's holding up for over 2 years now. Would I buy it again? No, I would consider something more robust and not lego like way to assemble it. You get what you pay for.

yeah I had a handle from them too, I attached it under my BM with light rails and follow focus and the threaded 1/4 pin on the handle just bent like a wet noodle when I tried to hold it... I tried to unscrew the handle and that pin unscrewed from the handle...

I had a rotating ball holder thing from them too, the ball always slipped.

...then I should not have ordered that rig I know...

btw glad yours is holding, I remarked on mine that it could snap if I hold it by the top handle, as I also planned to use it as a shoulder rig, and with the shoulder pad and weight on the rear it stresses the rig real bad, and only tiny screws (that are too short of course, they get only millimeters in the top plate, as they probably shortened the screws as really the piece is threaded for a much longer screw!) are then holding the lot.

Also what can you attach on the door side? much too close, I have to unscrew whatever is there to remove the SSD. Bad design overall.... and someone is going crazy there about shaving costs by replacing all screws with cheaper ones! I regret ordering from them, I never do order direct from China and it is the last time I do it. They have no concept of responsible commerce. They just build junk. They have no concept of consumer choice, or consumer power, as they are themselves pawn in a dictatorship.

Haavard Helle

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 6:27 pm

So the people of China are oppressed pawns in a dictatorship because you are missing one screw? Seems reasonable.

I've had good experiences with Smallrig parts myself, but if they refuse to sort it out, you can always raise it with your credit card company or Paypal and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

John Palaganas

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm

François Giroux wrote:
John Palaganas wrote:BTW I have a BMCC/BMPC4K cage from them, it's holding up for over 2 years now. Would I buy it again? No, I would consider something more robust and not lego like way to assemble it. You get what you pay for.

yeah I had a handle from them too, I attached it under my BM with light rails and follow focus and the threaded 1/4 pin on the handle just bent like a wet noodle when I tried to hold it... I tried to unscrew the handle and that pin unscrewed from the handle...

I had a rotating ball holder thing from them too, the ball always slipped.

...then I should not have ordered that rig I know...

btw glad yours is holding, I remarked on mine that it could snap if I hold it by the top handle, as I also planned to use it as a shoulder rig, and with the shoulder pad and weight on the rear it stresses the rig real bad, and only tiny screws (that are too short of course, they get only millimeters in the top plate, as they probably shortened the screws as really the piece is threaded for a much longer screw!) are then holding the lot.

Also what can you attach on the door side? much too close, I have to unscrew whatever is there to remove the SSD. Bad design overall.... and someone is going crazy there about shaving costs by replacing all screws with cheaper ones! I regret ordering from them, I never do order direct from China and it is the last time I do it. They have no concept of responsible commerce. They just build junk. They have no concept of consumer choice, or consumer power, as they are themselves pawn in a dictatorship.

I ditched the monitor mount as its too unstable. Got myself a Noga arm instead.

The top handle is doing pretty well considering its attached to the cage with 2 hex screw and a lot of weight! I was able to attach a Noga arm with DP7 monitor. I have no problems with the door side, I can attach the Noga arm on that side too.

Its always a risk buying stuff from them but if it turns out to be good then its a win. For the cheap price you always have to watch out where they are cutting corners. I know which stuff to buy from them and what not to buy. Attachment with hex screws are good. Attachment with tool-less hex screw are no good since they break.

To be fair, a lot of great stuff from Chinese manufacturers like Tilta are good quality so notion that Chinese products are no good doesn't hold weight. It depends on the company. Smallrig/Coollcd will literally CNC anything if you give them the blue print, it says so on their website.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 5:44 am

Besides Tilta, I might suggest adding Movcam http://www.movcam.com to the list of reputable manufacturers located in China. I have several pieces of equipment from them and everything is as solid as could be expected from professional camera gear - and while not dirt cheap, priced reasonably nevertheless. IMHO when it comes to Chinese equipment, the good old "you get what you pay for" adage generally applies, with occasional exceptions both ways. I know for certain that if I did not own a machine shop to fix stripped threads, broken bolts, etc. I would avoid the "dirt cheap" variety of camera gear like plague.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 5:49 am

What bothers me, is SmallRig is stealing Wooden Camera designs, but not the build quality. I do not mess around with supporting poorly built nockoffs. Buy the original, and get the great customer support from Ryan at WC that comes with it.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Kapp

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 6:23 am

Denny Smith wrote:What bothers me, is SmallRig is stealing Wooden Camera designs, but not the build quality. I do not mess around with supporting poorly built nockoffs. Buy the original, and get the great customer support from Ryan at WC that comes with it.
DS

Denny I don't see them ripping off Wooden Camera for everything.
Not everything WC makes is so great anyway.
For example their EVF bracket is extremely expensive and not so good.
I do think most WC gear is outrageously expensive for stuff that is made in China too.

I find Smallrig stuff to be good for the price, with some hit & miss experiences.
I just compared the WC Ursa Mini top plate with a Smallrig plate, $295 to $35.
I can't afford WC gear, for what it is.

One item I love though is the WC Ursa EVF mod

p.s. In Aus, ripoff means to overcharge, not to steal designs.
I'm sure WC doesn't pass on an equitable amount of the profits to the workers in China who make their gear, just as they don't pass on savings from manufacturing in China to us.
Both these companies ripoff, each in a different way.
If WC didn't charge so much, I'd be happy to give them more of my money.

Return to Cinematography