BMMCC Metabones Compatibility

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jaime Blanco

BMMCC Metabones Compatibility

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 8:51 am

Does anyone know if the Metabones Speedbooster for Pocket Cinema Camera is suppose to work on the BMMCC? I received mine yesterday and it's extremely tight to lock onto the BMMCC. Any info would be great. Thanks

rick.lang

Re: BMMCC Metabones Compatibility

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 8:34 pm

This isn't the first post indicating a problem connecting a Speed Booster to the new cameras, either BMMSC or BMMCC. I wonder if the tolerances for the mounts are not identical on different models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 11:38 pm

My Metabones BMPCC Speed Booster fits very nicely in the Micro Studio, nice a firm, but not too tight.
On the Micro Cinema camera, the same SB fits a little tight, but still goes on without forcing, and no signs of mount scoring.

If your SB does not want to go on with out forcing it -- Stop Dom it try to force it on, damage to either mount might occur, and metal shavings left in the camera. Contact Merabones, they will send yiu a new thinner MFT mount yiu can screw back in your SB p, being carefull to tighten all screws the tightened down the same (a micro Tourque gauge works here nicely' but so does a little finesse).

Please, Never force a lens or adapter on a camera. If it doesn't fit right -- something is wrong.
Hope this helps, Metabones is probably not liking me very much right now either.

Background: the BMCC and early BMPCC cameras had a rather slightly loose tolerance on the MFT mount, and after some complaints about the SB fitting too loose, they came the MFT mount on the SB thicker.
So after some complaints of MFT lenses fitting too loose, BM tighten up the mount on later cameras, and now the early SB mounts are fitting too tight. It doesn't seem yiu can win here!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 12:01 am

Maybe the lesson is that everyone should have better adherence to the standards. It may be that some of the mounts are going to wear somewhat if used heavily, so they also want the fit to be tighter so it performs well longer. Just speculating as I've never heard a manufacturer admit that.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 2:59 am

Rick, the MFT standard is like the Canon EF in practice, it has some varience in it, there is even a little difference from Panasonic to Olympus implementation of the "MFT Standard". What is fairly firm is the FFD distance. The "spring" tension in the mount itself has some room for slight differences, as the mount flange thickness. I noticed this with some of the SLR Magic MFT lens mounts, they vary also.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 3:32 am

Hey, Subrata, another reason to support PL as the cinema standard? Of course in a way traditional PL is simpler than EF and MFT so less things to go wrong.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 4:55 am

Rick, +1 for PL mount. That said, Veydra got their MFT mount right, my Veydra lenses fit nicely on both Micros and the AF100. Rhe Micro Studio is closest to being the same as the Panny AF100A mount. Also the Novarlex MFT/Nikon G adapter is a good fit on all three cameras, very little to no rotational play.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark Payne

PostMon May 09, 2016 5:28 pm

My Nikon F to Micro 4/3 metabones speedbooster for BMPCC will not fit on my new BMMCC. It fits perfectly on my BMPCC. This is so disappointing.

Uli Plank

PostMon May 09, 2016 6:15 pm

The mount on the BMMCC is a tighter fit than the one on the BMPCC, and it fits all native MFT lenses I own with less play (if any). So, nothing wrong from BM's side with this camera.

Maybe Metabones got complaints about too much play from BMPCC owners and intentionally made it a bit tighter. A few of my cheap MFT adapters don't fit either.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Denny Smith

PostTue May 10, 2016 2:18 am

Contact Metabones, and they will send you a new MFT mount flange to put on the SB. This will fix the issue in the Micro Csmers, but it will be a looser fit on the Pocket camera, if you have both, yiu might want to consider getting a new SB for just using on the Micro camera.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostTue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm

As far as I have been able to determine with my tests, the Micro camera does not have full or "push to focus" Auto Focus like the Pocket camera has. The Micro does, however have a useable LANC remote focus that works with the Panny Leica lenses I have tested. I have not tried the S-Bus yet (waiting on a receiver), but it should work the same as the LANC with remote focus.

I do not know about the Sigma EF/Speed Booster set up. Anyone tried this combo on the Pocket camera Push to Focus function? If this works, then remote focus from the expansion port (LANC/S-Bus) should work also. But there is not full or push to focus auto focus function on either Micro camera.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Francis Chee

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 am

Just to add more info here. I just bought a NOVOFLEX MFT adapter to Nikon and it definitely will not fit to my BMMCC at all. it inserts, yes, but meets a dead stop as the tolerances are clearly too tight on the NOVOFLEX, as I can easily fit native micro four thirds lenses, such as from Olympus and or Laow to the BMMCC with no trouble. I've contacted NOVOFLEX in Germany but as yet have no reply, as this adapter is supposed to fit "micro four thirds" camera mounts. Clear, the MFT standard is not a standard amongst manufacturers of either the mounts and or the adapters. I think adapter makers probably don't regularly check for QC. I mean I can go and risk buying a Metabones one (BTW Metabones also are taking their time getting back to me as to which adapter will definitely fit to my BMMCC-2 days now no response) or do I buy a MTF made adapter. Now MTF in the UK (I spoke with them) said their MFT Nikon to lens adapter would work despite it not being actually labelled on their sight but me thinks, Mmmmm, maybe they too are simply assuming the compatibility of their adapter to the BMMCC???????

Ryan Payne

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 5:46 am

Make sure to pay express. I said that the bmpcc booster was too tight on my BMPCC, for some reason they didn't respond to one I made about fitting it to the bmmcc. I asked for a regular MFT mount instead, they offered to send it for free but I never got it, after 3 months.... They didn't even respond to me. I ended up just sending the express payment amount stated in the original email to their PayPal with a note saying what it's for. It came in a week, switched the mounts and it fits snug.

Francis Chee

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Well I'm still waiting for a reply to 2 emails sent now going on 3 weeks and I guess they (Metabones)aren't going to reply like in your case. At Present THE sales manager at NOVOFLEX said they will be testing their MFT mounts on Blackmagic cameras and said he will keep me posted. Let's see what happens here. This was only achieved by me copying n a mail from BM to NOVOFLEX, where BM are basically saying they are part of the MFT consortium and if native MFT lens for to the BMMCC then they are not at fault orhave any control over third party mount/adapter manufacturers. So much for MFT being "Standard" LOL Just as well USB is!

Francis Chee

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 1:19 am

Ryan Payne wrote:Make sure to pay express. I said that the bmpcc booster was too tight on my BMPCC, for some reason they didn't respond to one I made about fitting it to the bmmcc. I asked for a regular MFT mount instead, they offered to send it for free but I never got it, after 3 months.... They didn't even respond to me. I ended up just sending the express payment amount stated in the original email to their PayPal with a note saying what it's for. It came in a week, switched the mounts and it fits snug.

It's a pity they don't appear to be even the slightest bit proactive in replying to customers via email. I find there are dozens of similar stories out there on the social media regarding their lack of response. Let's hope I don't have any issues, as i'm about to become a customer f theirs any day soon when that DHL delivery truck rocks int the driveway LOL!

Francis Chee

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi, ok here it is for everyone to see. Hope tis inspires some confidence.

An email sent to me only yesterday from Metabones regarding the compatibilities of the Metabones MFT speedbooster adapter for the BMPC. Yes there are tests out there but now I feel something is in writing regarding this adapter and the BMMCC along with the BMMSC's

Here it is, sent to me from support@metabones.com.

Dear Francis,

Thank you for your enquiry and interesting in our products.

If your are using the the BMPCC and Nikon Full Frame lenses, I would recommend the Nikon G to BMPCC Speed Booster 0.58x for you.
http://www.metabones.com/products/detai ... -BMPCC-BM1

The Metabones Nikon-G/F to Micro-4/3 mount Speed BoosterTM adapters designed exclusively for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)(also compatible with the BMMCC and BMSC camera). Note that this new 0.58x Speed Boosters will only attach to BMPCC equipped with a Micro-4/3 mount. They cannot be attached to standard Micro 4/3 cameras(such as Panasonic GH4, GH5,etc).

Please feel free to contact me if you have any question. Thank you.

Best regards
Daniel
GBI Limited
http://www.metabones.com

Return to Cinematography