Tips for Timecode Recognition in Micro Cinema Camera?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MatthewBlute

Tips for Timecode Recognition in Micro Cinema Camera?

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi All,

Getting my BMMCC up and going. Sending TC in through the Mic input, I see TC on the Left channel in the audio meteres, I can hear it through the HDMI out, the TC readout does update with the timecode coming in. I have enabled the timecode in setting in the menu and chosen channel 1/2 as independent or duplicate. Tried the other channel just to be sure. Tried auto levels or manual. Levels are in the green. Tried different frame rates and corresponding TC out of the AC-204. Same unit works fine with other cameras. I only get "rec run" TC in the window starting from 00:00:00:00. Any suggestions appreciated!

Denny Smith

Re: Tips for Timecode Recognition in Micro Cinema Camera?

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 5:33 pm

I do not think,the audio T/C in was designed to "clock" the camera, it is jus to record a reference T/C from/between an external audio recorder, on one of the audio tracks as a LTC (user selectable).

To set a Reference T/C input, you should use the reference T/C input BNC on the breakout cable, which uses a BalckBurst or TriColor sync.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MatthewBlute

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi Denny,

Thank you for quick reply! It was my understanding that that "Ref in" BNC on the 15 breakout was for genlock. I don't have any other inputs on the breakout supplied with my camera. On the edit, I can always read audio TC from that audio channel on the clip but I was under the impression that the camera is supposed to see the LTC coming in on the left channel of the mic input if you enable the setting and use that for TC on the clip.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Possibly, but I have not really looked into this as I do not need it with my Video Devices recorder, which locks its own T/C with audio and video feeds to it. However, this would be a nice feature, especially with external recorders. You should try sending a email to BM customer support in Feeemont CA and see what they say? Worth a try, it also might not yet be fully implemented in firmware?
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Peterson

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 4:07 am

Any update yet on getting the Micro Cinema Camera able to recognise Time Code?
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Return to Cinematography