Buying used URSA MINI 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Scott Clar

Buying used URSA MINI 4K

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm looking to buy a Blackmagic URSA MINI 4K off of craigslist, and have some concerns. First, was the horizontal noise pattern and other similar issues fixed with a firmware update? Also, what should I look out for and test specifically when buying this model? Any help would be appreciated!

Zac Gaetano

Re: Buying used URSA MINI 4K

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Uhm... first good luck finding this on craigslist, maybe E-Bay but it will probably be very close to retail. The camera is way to new to see it on those kind of sites.

I got the Ursa Mini 4k EF from B&H much earlier then everyone else ( I was in the "First Wave"). I have never had the horizontal line issue.

Scott Clar

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks Zac. Any other issues you noticed with the camera. Also, do you happen to know BMD's policy for sending back defective models? Any help is appreciated!

Chris Tempel

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 11:13 am

The horizontal noise was caused by the temperature of the camera. A quick power cycle after the camera warmed up solved the issue, but this has been fixed in the latest firmware updates so it's a non issue now :)

Scott Clar

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks! Just wanted to also see what other things to check for when buying used. Also, want to make sure that should the camera fail later down the line, that I won't have a problem shipping it to BMD to get fixed/replaced.

Return to Cinematography