UM46 Iris Control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Q King

UM46 Iris Control

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Knowing that it's really meant for manual and cine lenses, my UM46k EF mount has a "one touch" like iris control on my EF lenses. Meaning, you hit the iris button and it auto exposes(not very well, I might add). This leaves me no real iris control for my EF lenses other than the auto one. Is this standard? I remember seeing a user hitting the iris button and it going up/down by stops. Did I imagine that? Is the only real option for EF lenses this "one touch" auto iris control?

James Parker

Re: UM46 Iris Control

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 3:20 pm

On the side of the camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.Parker

Sean Q King

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Yes, thanks James. I know the button is on the side of the camera. You could have figured that out when I said what happens when I hit the iris button. Much help.

LennartBöwering

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Sean Q King wrote:Yes, thanks James. I know the button is on the side of the camera. You could have figured that out when I said what happens when I hit the iris button. Much help.

I think James means that on the side of the camera you can find the "|◀" and "▶|"-buttons which control the iris-opening. These are the standard-buttons on all BM-Cameras for changing Iris. Auto-Iris as you discovered is pretty much useless in most situations and will maybe be user-assignable in Firmware 4..

adamroberts

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 5:25 pm

From page 20 of the manual (I know... no one reads manuals):
Iris Button - The ‘iris’ button activates the automatic aperture setting on compatible EF lenses. When using video dynamic range settings, a single press of the iris button will set an average exposure based on the highlights and shadows in your shot. When using film dynamic range settings, pressing the iris button sets your exposure so the brightest highlight in your shot isn’t clipped.

To set your aperture electronically when using compatible EF lenses, press the forward and reverse skip transport buttons on the fold out monitor.

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm

adamroberts wrote:From page 20 of the manual (I know... no one reads manuals):

No one reads because people are slowly becoming illiterate. I'm reminded of an Outer Limits episode: Stream of Consciousness.

In a future world, nearly all humans have an embedded neural connection to a massive computer system known as the Stream. One exception to that is Ryan Unger who cannot be connected to the net because of a childhood accident that damaged his neurological system. By the standards of the time, Ryan is an imbecile relying on reading books for information while the majority simply having to think it. When a virus starts to kill some of them however, it's Ryan who concludes that it is coming from the Stream itself and all attempts to stop it will be unsuccessful. Only Ryan can save them - both now and in the future.
Source - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667957/?ref_=ttep_ep5
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

James Parker

PostSun May 01, 2016 1:50 am

I must be weird. I try and read every manual for everything I own. Even the resolve manual. Printed out every page. It just feels better to be able to hold paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.Parker

Sean Q King

PostSun May 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks much all!

Return to Cinematography