Shooting with the BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ronald Coltress

Shooting with the BMCC

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Hello all:
I just want to put this out there in case I ask a question I should already know, I'm learning as I go here in the camera department so bear with me on my questions. I've been researching the BMCC trying to determine if this camera will do all the things I want and need it to do. I've shot super extreme low budget indie stuff so some of the things that I hear complaints on aren't concerns to me.... So here I go:
Regarding the crop factor of the camera...would it be safe to assume if you shoot with this camera you're getting about what you would get with a Super 16 vs. 35mm (would that be accurate).
I know with the MFT version you have more lens options but how limited are you with the EF model?
Any suggestions on 2 affordable lenses to start off with, is 10mm the widest and what would you be like a standard lens.
Anyway I'll start with these few questions and see what develops...

adamroberts

Re: Shooting with the BMCC

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Reger wrote:Regarding the crop factor of the camera...would it be safe to assume if you shoot with this camera you're getting about what you would get with a Super 16 vs. 35mm (would that be accurate).

The sensor is bigger than the Super16mm but if you know both formats then you'll have an idea of how that affects lens choices.

Here is a reference chart from No Film School blog:
http://nofilmschool.com/wp-content/uplo ... 16x410.png

Reger wrote:I know with the MFT version you have more lens options but how limited are you with the EF model?

It'll support any lens you can use on a Canon DSLR. So the list pretty extensive (incl Nikon, M42, Contax C/Z, etc). If you are looking to us PL glass or fast MFT lenses then the MTF version is the one to go for.

Reger wrote:Any suggestions on 2 affordable lenses to start off with, is 10mm the widest and what would you be like a standard lens.

I generally don't shoot very wide. On Super35 the widest I normally go is 24mm.

My current lens selection that I use on the BMCC EF mount:
Tokina 11-16mm (Nikon mount)
Carl Zeiss ZF.2 - 35mm f2
Carl Zeiss ZF.2 - 50mm f1.4

Currently on the shopping list is a Carl Zeiss ZF.2 - 25mm f2

The Canon 17-55mm f2.8 would be a good "run and gun" lens. I have a few Canon lenses but I don't normally pack them in when shooting on the BMCC.

cajunrory

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm

16mm to 35mm is not the same thing as sensor size to lens size. 35mm is the reference size. What the crop factor acts like the 7D vs 5D they are both 35mm DSLR's however lens do not give you the same image the 7D is cropped because the sensor is smaller. This effects how the shot looks close medium wide or super wide. If you take a 50mm on the black magic will look like a 120mm lens. The difference for me is I needed to get new lenses 8mm 16mm 21mm which I did not have. Also if you are doing low budget stuff remember two thing 1 this camera eats memory on raw about 7 times the file size. and 2 it does give you a work around with prores 4,2,2. Also the camera lets you fix alot of mistakes if you know how to color correct raw. The camera reduces set up times with great low light cabiblities.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Return to Cinematography