Is it worth wait?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pipcafe

Is it worth wait?

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 am

Hello all,

I know I can only truly answer this question but I was just looking for some other people's opinions.

I love the idea of this camera. I am planing on shooting a feature length documentary in about 4-5 months from now but won't have funding until about 3-4 months from now. So essentially, I won't be able to order the camera until May....

I know nobody knows what the future is going to bring but just wanted some thoughts. Would you just look into getting a different camera, even if the BMCC seems like the perfect fit (already have a lot to compliment it).

Thanks!

Darryl Gregory

Re: Is it worth wait?

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 am

The wait is getting shorter each week, I know that sounds like a conundrum, But
it was worth the wait in my case, only 52 days from order to shipping date.

pipcafe

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 am

Yeah, thats what I'm hoping...that come the time the budget rolls in and we want to start shooting, that there might only be a month or two wait. I can deal with that. But 4+ months...I'm going to have to pass.

Do you mind me asking when you placed your order?

Randy Walters

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 am

Yes, it is. :mrgreen:

Mine arrived just over a week ago. It's in my hands. And the nine months I waited? They don't exist.

I know... easy for me to say. But your day will come, and you'll know exactly what I mean. It's such a leap... it changes everything, especially for someone like me, who can't afford an Alexa. A person of modest means can built their BMC system up over time, while the base system is within reach for essentially everyone that's working.

I was out shooting over the weekend, and today... every time I get home, I can't wait to pop the SSD in the dock. And every time I'm blown away.

RAW makes it sooooo easy. Today I shot a white marble temple, with an overcast white sky and snow everywhere. A nightmare to expose, right?

I just exposed to right below clipping, dropped it in Resolve, and everything was there. Incredible. So much latitude. And so much flexibility to go for any look at all.

Yes, it's worth it. Hang in there.

Last edited by Randy Walters on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pipcafe

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 am

Oh yeah, I totally know what you are saying Randy, I don't doubt the camera itself. I've been researching for awhile and am blown away. My issue comes from the fact that I can't actually put my order in for funding and I need to start shooting about 2 months after that....

Im essentially just venting here and hoping to talk to people in similar situations or fans of the camera. :D

Remo Pini

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 pm

By the time you have a budget (2-3 months from now), renting it will be relatively easy as it will be around in sufficient numbers at rental houses... so even if you shouldn't get it in time for your project, renting should be a viable option...
Director | Line Producer | https://grayeminence.ch

bhook

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Randy, the DR is wonderful but is the stair stepping on the horizontal lines in the raw footage? Or am I going blind? :)

Robert Betzner

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Right Click on the image and choose "show image". Then you will see it in full detail. It's scaled in the forum post. That is why stepping occurs.

Cheers

pro.

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm

pipcafe wrote:Oh yeah, I totally know what you are saying Randy, I don't doubt the camera itself. I've been researching for awhile and am blown away. My issue comes from the fact that I can't actually put my order in for funding and I need to start shooting about 2 months after that....

Im essentially just venting here and hoping to talk to people in similar situations or fans of the camera. :D

You and your crew need to allow time to become completely familiar with the camera, how you want to add audio, light for it, grade it, and so on. So I wouldn't think in terms of waiting up to two months and then magically being productive for such an important project. If you have a high degree of confidence the funding will be there for a purchase or a rental, decide now which option you will follow and if it is the rental option, you are shooting in a peak period so you may want to contract for it now so you will have the rental when you need it. If you are going the purchase route, put in your BMCC MFT order now and start adding whatever gear you need--time flies! Depending upon where you put in your oder, you could see at least a few months wait and possibly more so you need to factor that into your plans now.

Darryl may have had his camera shipping 52 days after he placed his order but it may be the supplier put the supplier's order in even before that customer's order. Helen can comment if she wants to but that supplier seems to be doing a great job of filling orders and is not at all in any way typical of what others are experiencing.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

bhook

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 pm

pro---studio wrote:Right Click on the image and choose "show image". Then you will see it in full detail. It's scaled in the forum post. That is why stepping occurs.

Cheers

pro.

Thank you...nevermind...it looks beautiful! :D

Randy Walters

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 5:32 am

And that's just a jpeg! (But at least it's a full resolution jpeg.)

I'm having a blast with Resolve. Today I started using the Kodak film LUTs mentioned elsewhere on the forum. Amazing.

Return to Cinematography