Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Todd Davies

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Needed to do a test shoot for an upcoming TVC I am shooting with the BMCC, it needed to feel warm have a handheld look to it, so I went out testing it yesterday afternoon...

Shot with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and a Canon 24mm f1.4l lens. All shot in ProRes film log and edited and graded in FCPX.

7681production

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 1:09 pm

a brutal 30 sec that i did in 5 minutes yesterday to test the DR of the camera. Pretty happy

KyleMcConaghy

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Sorry, didn't see this thread earlier!

Hi, everyone - I just completed a horror short that was filmed using 2.5k RAW and edited in a 2K timeline with FCPX and Resolve. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks! Kyle

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm

KyleMcConaghy wrote:Sorry, didn't see this thread earlier!

Hi, everyone - I just completed a horror short that was filmed using 2.5k RAW and edited in a 2K timeline with FCPX and Resolve. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks! Kyle

Well done! Very imaginative. Thanks for sharing! :)

I'm going to be shooting a crowdfunding promo with a BMCC, on loan by the friendly folks at the DVEStore this weekend. I picked up the camera yesterday, but probably won't get a chance to play with it until tomorrow due to the fact that I don't have the right lenses (which is why I ordered an MFT version).

The folks at the DVEStore even loaned me a 480 GB Sandisk Extreme SSD. Their shop is ridiculously non-descript and in the middle of nowhere, but they're nice folks :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Trevor Zuck

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 pm

In the meantime while I edit some footage for upload to vimeo. Here's some stuff I did:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6465

enjoy
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 am

TZuck wrote:In the meantime while I edit some footage for upload to vimeo. Here's some stuff I did:

enjoy

Interesting to see these digital negatives developed just as if we were in a darkroom bringing up a great print in the developer tank from an 'overexposed' negative in the enlarger.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

John Christon

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Toying around with a new lens. All on Leica R 19mm f2.8 v2. Tiffen IRND on the outside shots. All shot 30p, conformed to 24. This is all prores film log, then used film convert to color it.

Trevor Zuck

Re: Official

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 6:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:
TZuck wrote:In the meantime while I edit some footage for upload to vimeo. Here's some stuff I did:

enjoy

Interesting to see these digital negatives developed just as if we were in a darkroom bringing up a great print in the developer tank from an 'overexposed' negative in the enlarger.

Rick Lang

Thanks, glad you find it interesting
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

andrew

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Here is some footage I shot in Paris. It's a slower paced edit, so don't click play if you're in an anxious mood. :D

Hope you enjoy!

Brian Gordon

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 pm

:shock:
andrew wrote:Here is some footage I shot in Paris. It's a slower paced edit, so don't click play if you're in an anxious mood. :D

Hope you enjoy!

I just got back myself and I am very impressed by your footage! Have to say I am jealous as I ended up not getting my camera in time so I just did stills on this trip. It is such a beautiful city, especially without all the tourists and you did a great job of capturing it. Well done sir! Supposedly my camera is shipping soon, so I am fully inspired to out there and start shooting in RAW.
Brian Gordon
Preditorographer
BFG Media

andrew

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 am

BFG Media wrote::shock:
andrew wrote:Here is some footage I shot in Paris. It's a slower paced edit, so don't click play if you're in an anxious mood. :D

Hope you enjoy!

I just got back myself and I am very impressed by your footage! Have to say I am jealous as I ended up not getting my camera in time so I just did stills on this trip. It is such a beautiful city, especially without all the tourists and you did a great job of capturing it. Well done sir! Supposedly my camera is shipping soon, so I am fully inspired to out there and start shooting in RAW.

Thanks! I hope you get your camera soon! I know I'm a tourist too, but I love visiting places when there aren't very many tourists around. There definitely were enough in Paris, but nowhere near the number I've seen in the summer.

Stephen Grubb

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Today was the first day it didn't rain or snow since I got my camera. Very short. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 2:50 am

Stephen Grubb wrote:Today was the first day it didn't rain or snow since I got my camera. Very short. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

How did you expose this, i.e. did you expose to the right so you didn't clip the highlights shown by the 100% zebras or did you use a spot meter on the snow or a grey card or an incident light reading?

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Greg Huson

A little down time and a new camera

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 pm

will get you in trouble:

http://www.SecretHQ.com
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Benton Collins

Re: A little down time and a new camera

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 am

ghuson wrote:will get you in trouble:

http://www.SecretHQ.com

Very funny and a lot of truth buried in the sarcasm! (ok, maybe not alot) I bought the very same camera you did, wow! Nice work, seriously.

OneShot.tv

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 10:31 am

Hello there! I'm new to the forum. Happy this forum is here :). I've made some shots and a short portrait with the BMCC. Soon I will make some shots with my steadicam, and hopefully shots with the helicopter :) (first need an good converter from SDI to SD cable).

Hope you like my shots :).

Short portrait (in dutch). It's about an old farmer (78 years old) making (good and funny) poets while working. I will make an subtitle-version soon.
Harm Meuleman - Taalkunstenaar:

The Moon:

BlackMagic Cinema Camera - some shots in the Netherlands:
Greetings,

Joas

OneShot Media
to convince

www.oneshot.tv

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm

JoasCamera.nl wrote:Short portrait (in dutch). It's about an old farmer (78 years old) making (good and funny) poets while working. I will make an subtitle-version soon.

That farmer is certainly an entertainer!

I know inside the barn, the light can be quite low with very dark shadows. Perhaps another time you will use your Canon f/1.4 50mm lens in that situation to see if it helps with the shadows. Very enjoyable post.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

OneShot.tv

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 5:32 pm

rick.lang wrote:
JoasCamera.nl wrote:Short portrait (in dutch). It's about an old farmer (78 years old) making (good and funny) poets while working. I will make an subtitle-version soon.

That farmer is certainly an entertainer!

I know inside the barn, the light can be quite low with very dark shadows. Perhaps another time you will use your Canon f/1.4 50mm lens in that situation to see if it helps with the shadows. Very enjoyable post.

Rick Lang

Thanks Rick Lang!

I had 3 lights with me, but I was trying to light the barn as natural as possible, as if some light came from gaps in the building, of from a little light. I wanted to show how dark it was there. Some shots did work, not all. I wish I had more time and lights, so I could light some more dark areas. I've done this with 2 people in 5 hours. We did some shots with rails and jib, so had to build alot :). And the farmer was really at work, so had to take what I could get, couldn't direct him.

Thanks for your reaction :)!
Greetings,

Joas

OneShot Media
to convince

www.oneshot.tv

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm

JoasCamera.nl wrote:I had 3 lights with me, but I was trying to light the barn as natural as possible, as if some light came from gaps in the building, of from a little light. I wanted to show how dark it was there. Some shots did work, not all. I wish I had more time and lights, so I could light some more dark areas. I've done this with 2 people in 5 hours. We did some shots with rails and jib, so had to build alot :). And the farmer was really at work, so had to take what I could get, couldn't direct him.

Well you lit the barn very well then, it was very natural looking and reminded me of my grandfather's barn and his milking cows.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

3MOTION

Re: Look what I shot!

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Got the camera 1 month ago. I decided to tested it on a little commercial spec.
I like it better than any Dslr
Footage not graded yet... But looks gorgeous already!
Tell me what you think:

http://www.vimeo.com/emmanuelalbano/happyending

Cheers!
Emmanuel Albano

Todd Davies

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 7:22 am

Hey everyone,

Shot this campaign on the BMCC. It was our first real commercial production job with it and I would have to say that the client and I were both blown away with what we have achieved. Could not tell you how much the client was happy with the results, considering they were originally looking at hiring an Arri Alexa at triple their outgoing cost.

Now for the breakdown, these were all shot on the BMCC using the Canon 50mm f1.2l and the Canon 16-35mm f1.2l both using variable NDs in most setups. It was all shot in RAW 2.5k in 25fps (for PAL broadcast). I used a SanDisk Extreme 480GB and experienced no dramas at all with the drive! The audio was direct from the audio mixer from a Sennheiser 416 shotgun into a Wooden A-Box audio - camera. Coming from using a DSLR this made it a breeze with audio in post as there was no need for post syncing which is always a nightmare.

We post processed the footage in Resolve 9 and did most of the primary grades then did the secondaries in Avid Media Composer 6.5 using the .mxf export from Resolve.

I hope this gives you an insight into the commercial production world of using this spectacular piece of gear!

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Todd Davies wrote:Shot this campaign on the BMCC...

Todd, these actors define talent. Hope you are able to use them more on other projects. I believed they were happy!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Todd Davies

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 12:14 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Todd Davies wrote:Shot this campaign on the BMCC...

Todd, these actors define talent. Hope you are able to use them more on other projects. I believed they were happy!

Rick Lang

Haha! Yeah totally Rick, script was way overwritten ;)

Florian Blang

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey guys,
I´d appreciate it very much if you´d watch my first Blackmagic shoot! Quite a good one to see the dynamic range and how it performs in lowlight.

Here it is:

OneShot.tv

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 pm

florianblang.com wrote:Hey guys,
I´d appreciate it very much if you´d watch my first Blackmagic shoot! Quite a good one to see the dynamic range and how it performs in lowlight.

Here it is:

Looks really good :), nice work!
Greetings,

Joas

OneShot Media
to convince

www.oneshot.tv

Florian Blang

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 7:11 pm

JoasCamera.nl wrote:
florianblang.com wrote:Hey guys,

Here it is:

Looks really good :), nice work!

Thanks, dude!

Vitchub

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:51 am

My first shoot with the BMCC 2012 (oh yes, I need to use that label not to confuse some people who think it is footage shot with the BMPC or BMPCC; already happened on Vimeo) in Colima, Western Mexico.

Martin Grof

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 am

Musicvideo shot with BMCC

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 2:51 am

Hi everyone,

I have finally released my new project on my site: http://www.christianschmeer.com/Malaise-2013
The photographs are currently being exhibited at Magnum Print Room in London, UK.

If you're not interested in the photographs, here's the direct link to the video:
http://vimeo.com/christianschmeer/malaise

Equipment used:
- Blackmagic Cinema Camera
- Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS lens
- Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 lens
- Manfrotto 055CX3 tripod
- Glidetrack (1m)
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III (for still photographs only)
- Canon EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS lens (for still photographs only)
- Graded in Resolve, edited in Final Cut Pro X. Photographs processed in Lightroom.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Hi everyone,

I have finally released my new project on my site: http://www.christianschmeer.com/Malaise-2013
The photographs are currently being exhibited at Magnum Print Room in London, UK.

If you're not interested in the photographs, here's the direct link to the video:
http://vimeo.com/christianschmeer/
- Graded in Resolve, edited in Final Cut Pro X. Photographs processed in Lightroom.

Very impressive. I fully expected someone to menacingly appear in a window and then by a doorway. You had me on edge throughout. The place begs to have a longer narrative film shot there if possible. Mystery, thriller, horror... Just no zombies please.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 am

rick.lang wrote:

http://vimeo.com/christianschmeer/

Very impressive. I fully expected someone to menacingly appear in a window and then by a doorway. You had me on edge throughout. The place begs to have a longer narrative film shot there if possible. Mystery, thriller, horror... Just no zombies please.

Thanks, glad you liked it :) In fact, parts of the complex (there are about 60 abandoned buildings, it's like a ghost town) were used in The Pianist and Valkyrie.
www.christianschmeer.com

Brad Ballew

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Shot all day this past saturday in the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie. Didn't have a lot of time to spend on grading but I did what I could with the little time I had. It's for news so there's always a tight turn around. You can read specifics in the summary below the video.

Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Joseph Ciccarella

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Brad Ballew wrote:Shot all day this past saturday in the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie. Didn't have a lot of time to spend on grading but I did what I could with the little time I had. It's for news so there's always a tight turn around. You can read specifics in the summary below the video.

Nice job Brad. What'd you use for the slo-mo on the fire. Is that Twixtor?
Thanks.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Brad Ballew

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 4:32 am

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:
Brad Ballew wrote:Shot all day this past saturday in the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie. Didn't have a lot of time to spend on grading but I did what I could with the little time I had. It's for news so there's always a tight turn around. You can read specifics in the summary below the video.

Nice job Brad. What'd you use for the slo-mo on the fire. Is that Twixtor?
Thanks.

Thanks!!

I just used time remap and pixel motion in AE CS6. I actually probably could have made it a little cleaner since I rotoscoped that part to desaturate the background. In retrospect I should have changed the background clip to frame blend and I might have avoided the distortion right outside the fireball.

I would love to get Twixtor but I don't do enough slo mo stuff to justify the purchase. However, pixel motion can get the job done pretty well.
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Serkie

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 3:29 am

I finally received my BMCC EF on Wednesday, so I shot for three days straight trying to get a feel for the camera and its limitations. Kept my workflow pretty simple since I havent finished building my computer,I shot in DNxHD and just brought it straight into Premiere Pro CS6. I can't run resolve yet :( so everything was graded in Premiere with the three way color and the brightness and contrast. Let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy!

Lenses used:
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 70-200mmL 2.8
Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6

acsmyth

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Getting used to the camera, shot in Northern Ireland.

Ryan Best

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Equipment used:
- Glidetrack (1m)

Enjoyed watching this... Really good stuff Christian...

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 am

Ryan Best wrote:

Equipment used:
- Glidetrack (1m)

Enjoyed watching this... Really good stuff Christian...

Thanks, Ryan! :)
www.christianschmeer.com

OneShot.tv

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Tried an new filter/look (in Davinci Resolve 9):
Greetings,

Joas

OneShot Media
to convince

www.oneshot.tv

Josh Newman

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Hey all, just got cam last week, here is a real quick video I did on the weekend.

Checking focus was impossible with the sun and that screen, so it was pretty much on infinity the whole time, with the aperture at 17-22.

Shot at ISO 800, then changed to ISO400 at some point.
All handheld.
Canon 16-35 L
Atmos recorded with NTG-2 into a Juicedlink riggymicro
ProRes Film.
Quick grade with Colorista and Mojo

Lee McIntosh

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 am

Long time reader, first time poster. I Received my BMCC EF last week and filmed a quick french indie clip to get a feel for the camera. Mind you, we aren't french.

http://vimeo.com/portfoleeo/theemptybottle

CarlosRivera

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 5:15 pm

I've had mountain biking Sedona on the bucket list since doing Moab and just my luck.... I received the BMCC as I was packing for Arizona. Needless to say, the bike ended up staying in the car.

First time video edit & grade in FCPX, shot in ProRes, Sigma 8-16 glass. Shot hand held, stabilized in FCPX. Be gentle... haven't played with video since 2008.

Sam Joos

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 am

Messing around this last saturday, magnification macro style.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 am

Sam Joos wrote:Messing around this last saturday, magnification macro style.

The grain looks unusually large, did you crop into the RAW footage? I actually quite like the larger grain.
www.christianschmeer.com

Sam Joos

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 4:26 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Sam Joos wrote:Messing around this last saturday, magnification macro style.

The grain looks unusually large, did you crop into the RAW footage? I actually quite like the larger grain.

Didnt crop in.. Vimeo is doing that with their compression, looks much cleaner on the export.

Benton Collins

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 6:14 pm

CarlosRivera wrote:I've had mountain biking Sedona on the bucket list since doing Moab and just my luck.... I received the BMCC as I was packing for Arizona. Needless to say, the bike ended up staying in the car.

First time video edit & grade in FCPX, shot in ProRes, Sigma 8-16 glass. Shot hand held, stabilized in FCPX. Be gentle... haven't played with video since 2008.

The scenes are absolutely beautiful, but the footage is quite soft. I'm suspecting that micro vibrations from the helicopter are making their way to your handheld camera. What shutter angle and f stop we're you shooting at?

CarlosRivera

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

I'll have to check. Is there somewhere other than Resolve where I can check the clip's data (ISO, Kelvin, etc)? Sorry if I'm missing something simple.

huntermwest

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

We shot this 2 weeks ago for a University Client. It was our first time with the camera and the grading is a bit off to me, but we had a one week turnaround.

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 5:08 am

huntermwest wrote:We shot this 2 weeks ago for a University Client. It was our first time with the camera and the grading is a bit off to me, but we had a one week turnaround.

I guess you didn't get the memo that the BMCC doesn't do red. It is supposed to come out orange. Looked pretty red to me though. Good job!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Kyle Osburn

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 pm

My first test with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. I ventured out in my neighborhood of East Austin at magic hour to see what I could get out of this amazing camera. Everything was show in 2.5K RAW and graded in DaVinci Resolve. I played around in a couple of shots with using Juan Melera's Kodak Film LUT (juanmelara.com.au)
Lenses: Tokina 11-16, Rokinon Cine 85mm
Music: Hanan Townshend - "Marina's Theme" from "To the Wonder" soundtrack

@kyleoz
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography