Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

KRBrooks

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 7:20 pm

James Harkness wrote:Was wondering where this thread went :)

I used to have a problem with noise and my Ursa Mini 4K EF, but I seem to have figured it out. Here is a project I am doing to film something a minute or less in length every day for 365 days. This is day 2! Let me know what you think it'd be appreciated.

This has zero noise reduction done in post. All natural lighting. Just me and my Camera :)

Looks great, James! Great idea to create little vignettes everyday!

As a Ursa Mini 4K owner myself I'd love to know what you have been doing to avoid the noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Harkness

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks Rick! That'll give you something to do on a Rainy Day ;)

Brooks, I mainly just use the histogram and expose everything as bright as possible without letting the right side peak at the very top. Sometimes I do let it peak though, depending on the shot and what I want my main P.O.V to be. If I have to sacrifice some highlight for a better image, I'm ok with that. I also play with the shutter speed. I shoot a lot of Off-speed recording at 60 fps, and haven't had a problem with 360 degree shutter angle! I generally use Hooks VIBE LUT, and then add some color to my liking from there. Turn down highlights (only sometimes) and rarely push any shadows up.

Main key for me might be not worrying too much about highlights so I can get the best overall image possible. Also trying to shoot where the light is more even as well so I don't have to worry about the highlights so much.

BTW, I shoot RAW 3:1 every single time and go from 4000x2160 to standard 3860x2160 during render. I use DR14 MP4 Deliver settings as well with Multiple pass on. Any other questions feel free to ask. I hope this helps! I am kind of tired sorry if it's not so clear.

KRBrooks

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks, James! Makes perfect sense! I'm going to download that LUT and try it out!

KRBrooks

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Well, here's something I shot two months ago for an upcoming feature length project. Shot on the Ursa Mini 4K.

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 1:48 am

Looks very promising, KR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

James Harkness

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 2:13 am

Agreed excellent cinematography KR!

KRBrooks

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 2:18 am

Thanks guys! I'm really excited to share the feature I was an AC on this past month. We shot with the Mini Pro. I really need to work on upgrading my Mini for the Pro.

Norman Lang

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Here's our latest entry in the 48 Hour Film Project. It's a short mystery using designated props, lines, and characters. The whole thing needs to be written, shot, edited and delivered in two days. We used an Ursa Mini 4.6 K 35mm Rokinon Ciné. Shot HD Prores Light to save editing time.

Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Norman Lang

Good look.
Enjoyed the humour.

Was the pizza ever eaten?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Norman Lang

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:Norman Lang

Good look.
Enjoyed the humour.

Was the pizza ever eaten?

Thanks. We were starving. We ate the pizza before the shot!

BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Norman Lang wrote:We ate the pizza before the shot!

I must have missed it.
I did not hear a shot. :D
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 10:38 pm

You just forgot it, Leon!

Very entertaining short, Norman! It all worked up to the point where he had received a notification for the girl's appointment at the dentist. I forgot how that made sense.

Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 pm

rick.lang wrote:You just forgot it, Leon!

Who is Leon?

Talking about the notification, I noticed the shape of the phone in his pocket and I thought that the actor had obviously forgotten to take it out of his pocket before his entrance but then lo and behold it plays in the scene.

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 2:55 am

Rick Lang

Norman Lang

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 4:35 pm

rick.lang wrote:You just forgot it, Leon!

Very entertaining short, Norman! It all worked up to the point where he had received a notification for the girl's appointment at the dentist. I forgot how that made sense.

Yes. The pressures of writing a coherent screenplay in such a compressed window ask the viewer to make allowances for omissions to logic and continuity from time to time.

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Very understandable, Norman. Entertaining work.

Rick Lang

Norman Lang

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm

rick.lang wrote:Very understandable, Norman. Entertaining work.

Thanks Rick. On previous 48 Hour Projects we would dash around to 3 or more locations with a bevy of actors. It certainly filled the screen, but it also filled our shooting schedule. By using a couple of actors and a few nearby locations, it was much easier to shoot some decent images. Given that, you then really need to lean on your actors and the script to pull off something entertaining and satisfying.

Chris Tempel

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Shot this music video in April for a friend. Due to some high winds and nasty weather, we only had two hours and had to lock everything off rather than use the Glidecam like initially planned. I love my Mini 4K :)

Tomas Stacewicz

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Here I'm testing out my new handheld DIY rig with my BMPCC, with pretty decent results if you ask me. No stabilisation at all made in post. Shaky, yeah. But not that much micro-shaking going on here compared to what I have been used to. Just a basic colour correction to retain the flavour of the Zenit 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10mm lens used in the shot.

This is the rig I was using (minus the lens shade): Image
Camera
BMPCC
Zenit Meteor 5-1
LOMO OKS 3-10-1

Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 12.5.4.019
ASUS X99-A
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD

Javier Yanez

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

New vídeo!! Ursa mini with aún anamorphic vintage lenses

Ursa mini 4.6k
3k anamorphic aproress 422
Iscomorphot 8 1.5x
Nikkon 50mm 1.4

Hope you like it :-)

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Tomas Stacewicz wrote:Here I'm testing out my new handheld DIY rig with my BMPCC, with pretty decent results if you ask me. No stabilisation at all made in post. Shaky, yeah. But not that much micro-shaking going on here compared to what I have been used to. Just a basic colour correction to retain the flavour of the Zenit 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10mm lens used in the shot.

This is the rig I was using (minus the lens shade): Image

Tomas, can you please give more info on pistol grip and shoulder stock.
Cheers

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Javier, really liked your concept in the anamorphic short.

Rick Lang

Javier Yanez

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:50 pm

rick.lang wrote:Javier, really liked your concept in the anamorphic short.

Thanks rick

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Nuno Serrao

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi guys,

About a year later since i started researching vintage lens (really have to thank all of the people involved in redusers Contax Zeiss Survival Guide, amazing!). I can now say i have a nice zeiss contax kit:
28 2.8 (great for gimbal use)
35 1.4 (my favourite lens)
50 1.4 (very good)
85 1.4 (another favourite)
135 2.8 (very useful)

All MM and all cinemoded by me, this was part of the fun, getting to know more about the mechanics of the lenses.

I haven’t finished the kit yet, still looking for a 21mm, the 28mm f2, and a macro lens, but i wanted to contribute to this post that has given me so much.

Here's a titles film i made for a festival that happens in Madeira Island, hope you guys like it! Shot on a ursa mini 4.6, prores hq, graded from scratch.

Adam Langdon

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Nuno Serrao wrote:Hi guys,

About a year later since i started researching vintage lens (really have to thank all of the people involved in redusers Contax Zeiss Survival Guide, amazing!). I can now say i have a nice zeiss contax kit:
28 2.8 (great for gimbal use)
35 1.4 (my favourite lens)
50 1.4 (very good)
85 1.4 (another favourite)
135 2.8 (very useful)

All MM and all cinemoded by me, this was part of the fun, getting to know more about the mechanics of the lenses.

I haven’t finished the kit yet, still looking for a 21mm, the 28mm f2, and a macro lens, but i wanted to contribute to this post that has given me so much.

Here's a titles film i made for a festival that happens in Madeira Island, hope you guys like it! Shot on a ursa mini 4.6, prores hq, graded from scratch.

looks amazing. great vibe throughout!
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Adam Silver

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Here's a little thing I did.

Adam

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Here is the trailer to Marco Solorio's 10/10ths film now hitting the festival circuit. Only 4 ½ years in the making! The film, that is; the trailer was just released this week.

https://twitter.com/fsimonitors/status/ ... 3597393920

Rick Lang

Norman Lang

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Norman Lang wrote:Here's our latest entry in the 48 Hour Film Project. It's a short mystery using designated props, lines, and characters. The whole thing needs to be written, shot, edited and delivered in two days. We used an Ursa Mini 4.6 K 35mm Rokinon Ciné. Shot HD Prores Light to save editing time.

Great news! We were chosen to screen in the "Best of" 48 Hour Film Project for Boston! Awards for best film etc. will be announced after the screening. Win, lose, or draw, it's really a great creative learning experience.

Note Suwanchote

Re: Official

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Norman Lang wrote:
Norman Lang wrote:Here's our latest entry in the 48 Hour Film Project. It's a short mystery using designated props, lines, and characters. The whole thing needs to be written, shot, edited and delivered in two days. We used an Ursa Mini 4.6 K 35mm Rokinon Ciné. Shot HD Prores Light to save editing time.

Great news! We were chosen to screen in the "Best of" 48 Hour Film Project for Boston! Awards for best film etc. will be announced after the screening. Win, lose, or draw, it's really a great creative learning experience.

This is awesome. Any bts available?
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

KRBrooks

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Norman Lang wrote:
Norman Lang wrote:Great news! We were chosen to screen in the "Best of" 48 Hour Film Project for Boston! Awards for best film etc. will be announced after the screening. Win, lose, or draw, it's really a great creative learning experience.

Congrats, Norman! That's great!

Norman Lang

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Note Suwanchote wrote:
Norman Lang wrote:

This is awesome. Any bts available?

There are a few bts shots. Here is one of them:

James Harkness

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:56 am

Hey guys I filmed a music video that is more of a short with a twist near the end! I would like super honest critique so I may grow!

I realize at the start I got carried away with my glidecam. I should used a couple stationary shots instead maybe.
Shot on Ursa Mini 4K EF, Rokinon 16mm T2.2, Sigma 30mm 1.4, and Canon 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 STM.

Cassius Corrigan

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey guys,

Been reading and learning a ton from this forum and the nmcuser Forum. So a quick thanks for all the awesome info on here!

I'm directing and acting in a psychological thriller later this year about an aspiring mixed martial arts fighter who suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder, and will be shooting on the Ursa Mini Pro. Absolutely in love with this camera and kitted it out mostly based on stuff I learned here and some tinkering and experimenting.

This camera test was done to play with ProRes 422 HQ (apparently the highest bit rate ProRes that records 60fps) at UHD. Planning on shooting the feature at Raw 3:1.

Would love to hear any feedback you guys have! Enjoy.

Jakelutz

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 pm

This was sort of an URSA test using an anamorphic lens.
What do you guys think?

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Cassius, that looks fine for what you've shared. I would think it will get darker at some point as it suits your story.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Jake, just my opinion so doesn't mean much, but given the amount of significant slow motion movement, I feel the music is out of step with the visuals. If anything, the music may be more suited to a playback faster than real time. Don't know if you have any influence in the selection of music or if you prefer the discordance.

Rick Lang

Cassius Corrigan

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks for the feedback Rick!

Steve Martin

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 10:04 am

Nuno Serrao
Simply stunning
I hope your client really emptied their pockets on this one

JL Rocheron

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 1:52 am

Ursa Mini 4,6K Rokinon cine 35mm T1.5 , 16mm T2.2

JL Rocheron
Film Director - Stunt Coordinator
www.onde2choc.com

Rodrigo Etcheto

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Nuno Serrao wrote:

Nuno this is beautiful, which lens did you use for the time lapse star shots?

Thomas Thiele

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Metal music video. Completely made by myself (I'm the bassist, too).
Used BMPCC with different lenses. Band scenes are mostly panasonic 7-14, closeup sigma 19. Girl szenes were mostly shot with Arri Ultra16 8mm/1.3 @open aperture.

BMPCC, Lumix G3, GF3
pana 7-14, SLRM 12/T1.6, sigma 19, pana 20/1.7, pana 14-42, pana 45-150,
pentacon auto 29/2.8, 50/1.8, 135/2.8.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Very impressive use of the Pocket, Thomas. Just hope Vivien doesn't have nightmares!

Rick Lang

Andreas Kaufmann1

Short Film "Seine Spur"

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 7:52 am

Hi there,

my short movie is finally through festival time and I'm able to put it online.
Everything was shot with blackmagic cinema camera 2,5 and the aerials with the pocket.
You can activate english subtitles.

Hope you like it.

Thomas Thiele

Re: Official

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 10:48 am

rick.lang wrote:Very impressive use of the Pocket, Thomas.

Thanks.

rick.lang wrote:Just hope Vivien doesn't have nightmares!

it was fun for her. She could keep the dress ;-)

Btw. the dress was actually rose-pink. Couldn't find a cheap blue dress in a short time.
I colorered it in post ... dont ask :mrgreen: ...
BMPCC, Lumix G3, GF3
pana 7-14, SLRM 12/T1.6, sigma 19, pana 20/1.7, pana 14-42, pana 45-150,
pentacon auto 29/2.8, 50/1.8, 135/2.8.

Nuno Serrao

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Steve Martin wrote:Nuno Serrao
Simply stunning
I hope your client really emptied their pockets on this one

I wish. You're comment made me very happy and very sad at the same time :)

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Thomas Thiele wrote:... Btw. the dress was actually rose-pink. Couldn't find a cheap blue dress in a short time.
I colorered it in post ... dont ask :mrgreen: ...

Ah, the joys of working in digital post! Beats hand painting on celluloid.

Rick Lang

Andrew Bell

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 11:23 pm

BMPC4K + Canon EF100 + Resolve 12.5

Open Fullscreen: http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... g~original
Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

Adam Silver

Re: Short Film "Seine Spur"

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 am

Andreas Kaufmann1 wrote:Hi there,

my short movie is finally through festival time and I'm able to put it online.
Everything was shot with blackmagic cinema camera 2,5 and the aerials with the pocket.
You can activate english subtitles.

Hope you like it.

I loved it. Beautifully shot, excellent sound/foley. Good storytelling here.

Adam

Wannes Riemis

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi!
I'm new here and just bought my first BM camera after shooting Canon DSLR's for about 4 years.

This is one of the first movies on my brand new Ursa Mini Pro and I love it! 8-)
I'll be mostly shooting short artist promo/aftermovies on events and festivals with it but also some corporate stuff.

Hope you like it!

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Andreas, hauntingly wonderful work. Watched without the English and, as I suspected, the actors and your well-crafted visuals and sound tell the essential story. Congratulations on your achievement.

Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography