Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Piotr Naumowicz

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am

Hello,
just want to share few scenes from proof of concept to sci-fi short (well not exactly short - around 60min) film I'm trying to fund and make. This is a 8 min prologue proof of concept sequence shot for no money with friends as actors and crew. BMCC (most of it), BMMCC (some scenes), Zeiss ZF lenses + SLR magic Anamorphot 50. More info in vimeo desc.

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Wow, great lighting and grade, as well as a stellar atmosphere! My hats off to you! What kind of lighting setup did you have?

Piotr Naumowicz

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Wow, great lighting and grade, as well as a stellar atmosphere! My hats off to you! What kind of lighting setup did you have?

No quote on your side so I’m not sure is your question related to my video ;-) I hope it is.

2x 650W tungsten fresnels + dimmers + 60x90cm softboxes.
1x 1000W tungsten freanel + dimmer
1x 1x1/2 prolite bicolour led
4x cstand
2x light poles
Some flags, diffusion

+practicals added on locations to add dimmension to the space.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by Piotr Naumowicz on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Yes excellent job Piotr, you achieved a very moody atmosphere to go with the story line.

As for quotes, normally, a comment following a previous post like your video, is about the previous post unless otherwise stated. So quoting is redundant in this sense.
Dank
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Piotr Naumowicz

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Denny, thanks for the explenation. I rearly write posts on the forum, so I’m kinda newbie that knows nothing- just like a John Snow ;-) Thanks for the kind words about my video.

Sebastian Höglund

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 am

Alexander Leeway wrote:Greetings, here's a fashion film we shot recently on the UMP.

So pleased with the image that this little guy can produce.

Wooow! Really like the look and feel of this, grading & lighting is sublime in that good sense.
Great job.

What set of lenses did you use?

timbutt2

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Here is the 2018 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Audition Video for Callie Clawson! This was a blast to work on. Shot on Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K with Rokinon Lenses. Edited & Graded in DaVinci Resolve 15 Beta. Check it out!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jeffrey Chance

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Woke up on a Blizzard a few months back with exactly 2 minutes of footage left on my leftover memory card (256 GB). I decided to see if I could make a short film with those two minutes!
Up to the chance, I woke up my partner and forced (with all the love in the world) her to help!

Here's the result!

Daniel Bănică

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 6:24 am

timbutt2 wrote:Here is the 2018 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Audition Video for Callie Clawson! This was a blast to work on. Shot on Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K with Rokinon Lenses. Edited & Graded in DaVinci Resolve 15 Beta. Check it out!

Tim,
I saw this yesterday on Fashion TV. Beautiful work.

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 5:32 pm

When I grow up, I wannabe an intern for Timbutt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Daniel Bănică wrote:Tim,

Thanks Daniel! How was this on Fashion TV? We just released it yesterday and I know we put it out on Instagram, Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook. So curious to know where I can see it on Fashion TV because I'm very curious now.

rick.lang wrote:When I grow up, I wannabe an intern for Timbutt.

Hahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can always use camera assistants to help lug around gear. Especially when it's 90-100° F under the sun.

Chris Tempel

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm

From an experimental short I did on the Mini 4K

Alexander Leeway

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 2:31 am

Sebastian Höglund wrote:
Alexander Leeway wrote:Greetings, here's a fashion film we shot recently on the UMP.

So pleased with the image that this little guy can produce.

Wooow! Really like the look and feel of this, grading & lighting is sublime in that good sense.
Great job.

What set of lenses did you use?

Thanks Sebastian.

We used the good old under rated Red Pro Primes.

timbutt2

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 pm

This is a fun comparison video I put together comparing the URSA Mini 4.6K against the Panasonic HVX-200. I originally shot this short film back in 2007, and have been thinking about remaking it. So, I decided to test shoot a single scene from the short with the URSA Mini 4.6K to see how it would come out looking. As I expected: fantastic!

I hope everyone enjoys the quick scene comparison. Slowly I'm going to start putting together everything I need to remake the short film. The goal is to do it in the fall. Just need to cast the other parts and put a crew together. Plus find any and all locations. Either way, enjoy the scene recreation!

EDIT:

And now, enjoy a second color graded version.

Some tech specs:
Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K, in CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 at 2.4:1 aspect ratio in 4608x1920 pixels and 24 fps.
Rokinon 50mm Cinema Lens was used with Formatt Hitech Firecrest NDIR 1.2 & Tiffen Polarizer filters.
Edited and Color Graded in DaVinci Resolve 15 Beta 6.

Daniel Bănică

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am

timbutt2 wrote:
Daniel Bănică wrote:Tim,

Thanks Daniel! How was this on Fashion TV? We just released it yesterday and I know we put it out on Instagram, Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook. So curious to know where I can see it on Fashion TV because I'm very curious now.

rick.lang wrote:When I grow up, I wannabe an intern for Timbutt.

Hahaha!
I can always use camera assistants to help lug around gear. Especially when it's 90-100° F under the sun.
Hi, it was Fashion TV Romania.

Adam Langdon

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 am

Here's some stills from a recent shoot that we did at 6AM in Columbus, Ohio....

ImageHannah3 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

ImageHannah1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

ImageGuitar1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

ImageDuo1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

ImageBrandon2 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

JordanWright

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Wow that looks great, which lenses/filters did you use?

Adam Langdon

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 2:50 am

JordanWright wrote:Wow that looks great, which lenses/filters did you use?

No filters.
I used a Mir-1b 37mm f2.8, a Helios 44-2 58mm f2, and a Jupiter-9 85mm f2.
Shot in 3:1 Raw, 2.4:1 crop.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Adam Langdon

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 pm

And here’s the video

rick.lang

Re: Official

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 am

Sweet song, sweet cinematography. Well done, Adam.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Here’s the three minute promo of a 63 minute performance video shot recently with the URSA Mini 4.6K PL using the Fujinon HA20x7.8B M10 Cine Zoom. It’s far from polished as there was no rehearsal, stage unevenly lit, performers singing where there were no lights, chaotic, but fun (and I had no time to prep the lens). The full video has all the credits but the client requested no credits on the promo.

My first video using Version 15 Resolve Studio with ProRes444XQ. Threw in a colour transform to include the new Colour Gen 4 for the BMPCC4K; it did affect the grade positively, but generally raised the floor too high and I continued to grade it in ACEScct. I'm not sure if Gen 4 is of any relevance here given the camera is still on Gen 3. I may not leave this on Vimeo for long, so get it while it’s hot. For your eyes only…

password UM46K

Rick Lang

Dwanehollands

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 2:14 pm

rick.lang wrote:Here’s the three minute promo of a 63 minute performance video shot recently with the URSA Mini 4.6K PL using the Fujinon HA20x7.8B M10 Cine Zoom. It’s far from polished as there was no rehearsal, stage unevenly lit, performers singing where there were no lights, chaotic, but fun (and I had no time to prep the lens). The full video has all the credits but the client requested no credits on the promo.

My first video using Version 15 Resolve Studio with ProRes444XQ. Threw in a colour transform to include the new Colour Gen 4 for the BMPCC4K; it did affect the grade positively, but generally raised the floor too high and I continued to grade it in ACEScct. I'm not sure if Gen 4 is of any relevance here given the camera is still on Gen 3. I may not leave this on Vimeo for long, so get it while it’s hot. For your eyes only…

password UM46K

Looks great Rick! Boy these guys sound so good too! Sinatra one was eerily close!

Nice rich colour going on there. Handles those shadows nicely too. Surprised how clean, but still textured.

My guess is no noise reduction at all on this?
Dwane Hollands

Pocket 6K | BMMCC | BMPCC

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ASUS Rog Strix X670E-F GAMING WIFI motherboard | AM5 Socket
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 16 Core | 4.5Ghz base clock | 128GB RAM
8TB M.2 (7,000MB's read)
AMD Vega 56 8GB Gpu (22.11.2 driver)
(Studio)

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks, Dwane! No noise reduction at all; shot with ISO 800 and aperture set T2.8-T4. I recorded and rendered in 2K so you’re seeing ProRes444XQ goodness. Developed one stuck red pixel that day so that’s corrected in post. Also had a bit of strangely intense purple on the trombone slider from the light directly overhead the musician, so I added an ARRI limiter LUT to each clip as well; it got rid of the intense purple.

The trickiest part was hand-cranking a white balance so the tuxedos looked good across the video and the faces reasonable (since I had no time to dialogue with the lighting director who had such varied lighting across the stage). When I had filmed there before, I knew the correct white balance was 3200/3300K and got very good results shooting raw—maybe I should cut a promo of the theatrical performance). So I set the camera to 3200K and began shooting (no prep time). Well that was way off the actual lighting used this time—shooting ProRes you want to be close in camera so in post I reduced the temperature 350-800K degrees to get white shirts. As you can see each performer had a different skin colour and Dean Martin was the toughest to get acceptable; Frank Sinatra the easiest; Sammy Davis Jr went all through the varied stage lighting in a clip so he didn’t always look the best I admit. Overall compared to the footage out of the camera, I was reasonably satisfied with the grade. At least the Las Vegas performers and the producer were happy with it. I did both colour and monochrome versions of the performance. I liked the monochrome very much as it looked just like a 60s black and white recording I’d seen of the real Rat Pack performing in Beverly Hills; but the producer decided to go with the colour version.

Here’s a screen grab from the theatrical performance rehearsal shot in raw 3200K:

Sleeping Beauty 709.jpg
Sleeping Beauty 709.jpg (555.56 KiB) Viewed 18300 times
Rick Lang

Dwanehollands

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 am

Wow that XQ is pretty good! Looks like raw to me. Boy that ursa mini at 800 is nice! Man that still looks like a renaissance painting! Even in the shadows the skins tone have a beautiful tone to them!

Well done!
Dwane Hollands

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
8TB M.2 (7,000MB's read)
(Studio)

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 4:09 am

I thank you. One day I’m going to print that DNG photo 13”x19” with ink that’s supposed to last 100 years in archive conditions. But I want to display it so I might only get to enjoy it for 25 years before it or I fade away! I have software that does a great job resizing so I’ll try to pump that image up at least to 150 dpi or even 300 dpi. I’ve made some very nice prints but will love adding that shot. It might be interesting too if I used some of the painterly effects in Resolve. No idea if they’re good. But very satisfying to give it a try. I may give that print to the theatre company. I have permissions so no issue there.

Rick Lang

Dwanehollands

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 5:58 am

rick.lang wrote:I thank you. One day I’m going to print that DNG photo 13”x19” with ink that’s supposed to last 100 years in archive conditions. But I want to display it so I might only get to enjoy it for 25 years before it or I fade away! I have software that does a great job resizing so I’ll try to pump that image up at least to 150 dpi or even 300 dpi. I’ve made some very nice prints but will love adding that shot. It might be interesting too if I used some of the painterly effects in Resolve. No idea if they’re good. But very satisfying to give it a try. I may give that print to the theatre company. I have permissions so no issue there.

Oh yeah, they should love that! Great idea!
Dwane Hollands

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
8TB M.2 (7,000MB's read)
(Studio)

Denny Smith

PostSun Aug 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Yes, it is a great shot Rick. :D
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 am

Thanks, Denny and Dwane. I had to order more ink to print that HD image 13”x19” on rag paper. I upscaled it to more than cover that size at 300 dpi and then reframed and cropped to fit the paper.

The producer dropped by today and wants me to do another performance video for her and two theatrical plays this fall. I talked to her about the importance of good lighting... hope the next time the lighting is better.

Rick Lang

Dwanehollands

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 4:29 am

rick.lang wrote:Thanks, Denny and Dwane. I had to order more ink to print that HD image 13”x19” on rag paper. I upscaled it to more than cover that size at 300 dpi and then reframed and cropped to fit the paper.

The producer dropped by today and wants me to do another performance video for her and two theatrical plays this fall. I talked to her about the importance of good lighting... hope the next time the lighting is better.

That's great news! It can only get better and better with that collaboration!
Dwane Hollands

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
8TB M.2 (7,000MB's read)
(Studio)

Stephen Press

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 6:34 am

My first experience shooting on a Blackmagic camera was with the BMCC and that led me to buying my own UM.
That first project just won a Best Musical Spot in CIFF
https://www.radionz.co.nz/concert/progr ... onal-award
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 3:33 pm

rick.lang wrote:(since I had no time to dialogue with the lighting director who had such varied lighting across the stage)

Hi Rick

I admire your spunk.
Or maybe you are just a masochist.
Having been on both sides of the coin as the camera person going in to shoot a theatrical show and the board or lighting designer for when a crew comes in the theater with their electronic one eyed monster/s that needs special attention, I know the uphill battle that you face.

I would suggest that you get the lighting operator drunk and that you take over the lighting booth.

As Robert pointed out some time back stage lights vary in Kelvin from 2800 to 3200. Add to that the gels that introduce red and green and plays havoc with stage make up when shot on video camera. Then the reflective spikes off the shiny music instruments.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
But I also know the satisfaction of a job well done.

Your video looks really good.
Break a leg.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Peter DeArmond

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm

As an amateur, it's intimidating for me to post something here after seeing all these wonderful shots you guys have made. I live in a mountain community where the wild elk wander through from time to time. At first these elk were very far away, so I had to use the extender on my lens. Then they got closer and closer… to the point where you can hear my voice on the on-camera mic wondering if they might run me over. I quickly removed the extender, and let them put on a show.

Shot with Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6k with Sigma 120-300 f2.8.
Edited in Final Cut Pro X

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Peter DeArmond wrote:As an amateur, it's intimidating for me to post something here after seeing all these wonderful shots you guys have made.

Amateur? Who you kidding?
What app did you use for the Computer Generated Images?

Wonderful footage.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Peter DeArmond

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 7:42 pm

LOL. Ummm, FCPX. It loves all flavors of ProRes. I shoot mostly ProRes 4:22 HQ, 4096 x 2304. And I really do love FCPX.

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:28 am

Safe and sound in August, but let’s not try that so close in early Spring! Nice footage alright.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:31 am

Leon, I had a good talk with the producer Sunday afternoon. I hope it will help on my next assignment for her in December. She’s recommending me to another producer too. I love the punishment! Give me more, give me more.

Rick Lang

Jaco Spies

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 am

This was a random clip I shot one late afternoon in Lower Manhattan. It was two blocks away from the apartment I stayed in for a month during August 2017. To be honest, I didn't know who Rebel Wilson or any one else in this shot was at the time. I was following the Alexa!

Please excuse the home-made slow-motion and please don't sue me.

BACK IN BLACK

[this is the new account for the user formerly known as CHIAROSCURO although it is still the same person]

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Jack, which camera did you use, nice doc style clip. Getting a good color balance with all the close by green foliage reflecting green into the scene.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jaco Spies

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Hello Denny,

It was shot handheld with my BMPCC.
BACK IN BLACK

[this is the new account for the user formerly known as CHIAROSCURO although it is still the same person]

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm

Very nice job for handheld. Which lens?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jeffrey Chance

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Hey everyone, I just updated my reel of current works!

Please let me know how you feel about it, a lot of it is color and cinematography based works.

Javier Yanez

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 am

IMG_5272.JPG
IMG_5272.JPG (304.05 KiB) Viewed 17668 times
ImageImageImage

New video shoot with URSA Mini 4.6k,

3k raw using iscorama Pre36 anamorphic lens and Nikkon 50mm 1.4 taking lens

Hope you like it!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Vess Stoytchev

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:34 am

We shot these short beauty videos for a bike manufacturer. UMP, old PL Zeiss speed lenses:

Troy Turner

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Javier Yanez wrote:
IMG_5272.JPG
ImageImageImage

New video shoot with URSA Mini 4.6k,

3k raw using iscorama Pre36 anamorphic lens and Nikkon 50mm 1.4 taking lens

Hope you like it!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Great color! I like it!

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 am

Really good job, Vess. Although I’d be tempted to have someone try to steal the bike as it sits in the final few seconds of the ad. If you have say four ads to shoot each one could have a different person in a different situation with different reactions for some suspense and humour so people would watch the ad to see how it was going to be end.

Rick Lang

Vess Stoytchev

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:10 am

rick.lang wrote:Really good job, Vess. Although I’d be tempted to have someone try to steal the bike as it sits in the final few seconds of the ad. If you have say four ads to shoot each one could have a different person in a different situation with different reactions for some suspense and humour so people would watch the ad to see how it was going to be end.

Thanks Rick!
that's a very nice idea, maybe! next time, we'll see. :)

Alexander Leeway

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 am

Hey team, here's a commercial short film we shot with a mix of UMP and Arri Amira.
Lenses were Hawk-C and Cooke anamorphic.

https://vimeo.com/293906217
Attachments
The Sweet Life.jpg
The Sweet Life.jpg (190.93 KiB) Viewed 17252 times

OwenCrowley

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 am

Here is a music video, though I'm not sure how to embed it here. Do I need to just paste in the Vimeo URL?

https://vimeo.com/owencrowley/vote

This is a community labor of love by the people you see and don't see, hoping to inspire people to vote in US elections. Shooting was in a hurry, with a total of six hours of studio time including setup and tear down.

• UMP operated at full frame raw 3:1
  • Angenieux EZ1 PL 30-90mm zoom
  • Litepanels Astra 6x plus Litepanels soft box for key lighting
  • Kinotehnik Practilite 602 for hair and accents, plus magenta gel to counter green screen spill
  • A DIY 4x4 foot light scrim
  • A reflector for fill, which we barely used because the scrim wrapped the light well
  • A spacious public access studio with black and tech green curtains
  • The green curtains were lit by studio lights, but were otherwise turned completely off
  • Sound track was recorded separately, but we used a Zoom H6 for a few studio recorded phrases
  • Edited in Resolve 14.x

This was inspired by Madonna's classic "Vogue" video. A lot of people showed up, so our video ended up being larger than Madonna's. Spacious as the studio was, I still had to shoot full wide to fit the large ensembles into the frame. An EZ2 15-30mm PL that I had on order since early March would have been better this case, but of course it did not arrive until the week after the shoot.

The resolving power and latitude of UMP's raw image was essential to achieving the style of this video, both to achieve a luxuriant high-key look, and because we did not have time to properly calibrate the illumination of the green curtains for the green screen shots.
Last edited by OwenCrowley on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

timbutt2

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 2:40 am

NSFW, but I consider this PG-13. This is a video shot for the "Gentlemen's Club" I do video content for every so often. A good paying client, so I don't discriminate. This is for their Free Shot Friday that they do every week.

Here's the Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/292810634/0daee20b02

And the YouTube from the Club's YouTube:

Some specs:
URSA Mini 4.6K
1920x1080 ProRes 444 (Windowed)
Project Frame Rate: 23.976; Sensor Frame Rate: 120
Lenses: Rokinon 24mm & 50mm
Lighting: Dracast LED1000 & LED500 lights.

Edited & Graded & Graphics in DaVinci Resolve 15

Enjoy. It was fun to shoot. One day I hope we can have 120 fps at full 4.6K sensor. But, that will be in a future model of the camera. And, it will all be in Blackmagic RAW I hope. Here's to hoping.

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 am

Owen, quite entertaining for a PSA spot. Great group that really looked into it. Well done. Expect it needs to be cut into a few shorter releases for those 15 second placements.

Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography