Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Que Thompson

Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu May 02, 2019 4:39 pm

nice work
Last edited by Que Thompson on Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Chance

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu May 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Que Thompson wrote:something i shot recently using the bmpcc4k that is going in a short/documentary. all natural light, language is nsfw and very explicit, may be offensive. you can mute it. the only light was coming in through the crack you see and the opening we came in. i used a smoke bomb for texture.

pw: bmpcc4k

shot in 4k, uploaded in 1080p. voigtlander 10.5mm & 17.5mm, quick edit, quick color, mostly handheld, wide shots are tripod.

Love it, It looks REALLY good. Would love how to see how it would look at 4k! :)

rick.lang

PostThu May 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Jim, nice but have you seen those internet recipes where 5 minutes or more of food preparation is reduced to a minute or two? I’m wondering if building the chair would work well that way. You could retime in Resolve perhaps by a third so no need to reshoot.
Rick Lang

thalen

PostThu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm

BrettHazlett wrote:The paragliding world cup final over a Jurassic landscape in Brazil.

https://vimeo.com/bretthazlett/nevercomedown2

Nice catch. It should be fun to film.

Jeffrey Chance

PostFri May 03, 2019 3:10 am

Here's a music video for a phenomenal musician that's I had the pleasure of shooting! The shoot was VERY run n humans we didn't have a full day! All in all it was a blast. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJSKv6gmUo

Que Thompson

PostFri May 03, 2019 5:16 am

Jeffrey Chance wrote:Love it, It looks REALLY good. Would love how to see how it would look at 4k! :)

Thanks! I think the doc will deliver in 4K. I’ll post it here when it’s finished.. It is being shot completely with the pocket.

Stephen Press

PostFri May 03, 2019 5:55 am

So finally saw a feature length movie I shot on the Cinema camera in a BIG cinema for its premiere.
Looked amazing. I'm a bit happy.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Swissified

PostFri May 03, 2019 7:34 am

Jeffrey Chance wrote:Here's a music video for a phenomenal musician that's I had the pleasure of shooting! The shoot was VERY run n humans we didn't have a full day! All in all it was a blast. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJSKv6gmUo

This is absolutely brilliant and all shot on the Pocket 4K! I have got a lot to learn!

Jim Rudolf

Re: Official

PostFri May 03, 2019 1:08 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jim, nice but have you seen those internet recipes where 5 minutes or more of food preparation is reduced to a minute or two? I’m wondering if building the chair would work well that way. You could retime in Resolve perhaps by a third so no need to reshoot.

Hi Rick. Thanks for the feedback. Thats an interesting thought. I might have to try that!
Jim

Que Thompson

PostFri May 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Jeffrey Chance wrote:
Que Thompson wrote:something i shot recently using the bmpcc4k that is going in a short/documentary. all natural light, language is nsfw and very explicit, may be offensive. you can mute it. the only light was coming in through the crack you see and the opening we came in. i used a smoke bomb for texture.

pw: bmpcc4k

shot in 4k, uploaded in 1080p. voigtlander 10.5mm & 17.5mm, quick edit, quick color, mostly handheld, wide shots are tripod.

Love it, It looks REALLY good. Would love how to see how it would look at 4k! :)

Forgot to mention that this was shot using BRAW 5:1!

rick.lang

PostFri May 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Jim Rudolf wrote:Hi Rick. Thanks for the feedback. Thats an interesting thought. I might have to try that!
Jim

Jim, there may be places where you want to playback in normal time and other times (where there’s little thinking or judgments going on) that could have the simple actions accelerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jeffrey Chance

PostSat May 04, 2019 8:28 am

Swissified wrote:
Jeffrey Chance wrote:Here's a music video for a phenomenal musician that's I had the pleasure of shooting! The shoot was VERY run n humans we didn't have a full day! All in all it was a blast. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJSKv6gmUo

This is absolutely brilliant and all shot on the Pocket 4K! I have got a lot to learn!

Hi there Swissified,

This was shot on two Ursa mini 4.6K's, one with Rokinon and another with Sigma 18-35mm with a BPM filter.

Thank you so much!

Swissified

PostSat May 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Jeffrey Chance wrote:
Swissified wrote:

Hi there Swissified,

This was shot on two Ursa mini 4.6K's, one with Rokinon and another with Sigma 18-35mm with a BPM filter.

Thank you so much!

Oh I thought it was done with a Pocket 4K. Well it is excellent any way!

Swissified

PostSun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Well today I did some clips and I used FPS 30, Shutter 60, Iris 11, ISO 800, WB 5600. All recorded in BRAW, Constant Quality, Q5, 4KDCI.

The first clip is all of them together, and then the others are the indivdual clips.

http://spbch.jalbum.net/100th-Schwingfest-2019/
Last edited by Swissified on Thu May 30, 2019 9:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

thalen

PostSun May 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Awesome works man, nice!

Swissified

PostTue May 07, 2019 8:02 am

Here are some examples using an Olympus 300mm lens.

http://spbch.jalbum.net/Animals/slides/donkeys_3.html

In this third one, there is a little bit of wind movement, so that is AOK. But in the top left part of the clip there seems to me to be unacceptable movement or am I being too finicky? Ah I think I sussed that very cold this morning, the shimmering must be caused by the cold air, meeting the warmer air from the grass.

Camera on a sturdy 4 leg tripod. Settings: 30FPS, Shutter 60, Iris F16, ISO 800, WB 5600K. BRAW, Constant Quality, Q5, 4K DCI.

ToniMahoni

PostMon May 13, 2019 8:22 am

Hey guys!

Here is another example of BMPCC 4k Footage. This time I had the chance to test the low light capacity.
Feel free to comment this thing.

Norman Lang

PostTue May 14, 2019 10:57 am

Here is a trailer from my new short film "What Goes Around"

Shot with BMPCC4K and Ursa Mini 4.6. (Mavic Pro drone shot at the end.)

Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

rick.lang

PostWed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Looks intense. Hope the music in the short matches that intensity unless you have a different intention with the light music of the trailer.

Rick Lang

Norman Lang

PostWed May 15, 2019 5:42 pm

rick.lang wrote:Looks intense. Hope the music in the short matches that intensity unless you have a different intention with the light music of the trailer.

Thanks Rick. The music for the film is entirely different. We thought the contrast of the action with the music added irony. I can't wait to show you the entire short. You will like it. I'm sure!

I was so happy with the Pocket. Great images. Love the UM4.6K as well.

BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

timbutt2

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:55 pm

The last shoot on the URSA Mini 4.6K shot in CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 is now live. All beach marketing videos for the club I do video content for.

Summer Lovin’

Sunny Vibes

Beach Fiesta

Got a few more coming out soon as well.

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Last week-end I did some tests Downtown Los Angeles, which I then processed in Aftereffects to get rid of cars and other people. Everything was shot on the Pocket 4K in 4K using the 12:1 Constant Bitrate BRAW. Lens is a dirt-cheap Zonlai 22mm.

>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

rick.lang

PostFri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Kays, very eerie vibe seeing LA empty in the daytime. Nice job.

Tim, I’m gonna forgive all those tilted water horizons in that first video.

Rick Lang

Que Thompson

PostFri May 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Last week-end I did some tests Downtown Los Angeles, which I then processed in Aftereffects to get rid of cars and other people. Everything was shot on the Pocket 4K in 4K using the 12:1 Constant Bitrate BRAW. Lens is a dirt-cheap Zonlai 22mm.

Very cool! I'd love to try to this, looks really cool!!

timbutt2

PostSat May 18, 2019 2:23 pm

rick.lang wrote:Tim, I’m gonna forgive all those tilted water horizons in that first video.

Forgive the tilted horizons? Huh, I'm amazed you were able to let that distract you. I always find shooting on the beach challenging due to the sand and then also being handheld with waves crashing into you. But I do love shooting RAW (even if it is still CDNG) for that highlight recovery.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Hulihullut Productions

PostTue May 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Hello everyone!

We are new film enthusiasts and just discovered the magic of Davinci Resolve while editing our first action short film. We made the film basically by advancing from scene to scene with minimal planning. Looking back we wish we would have used a bit better lighting in some scenes since there is some noise in the shadows. Anyway we would appreciate any feedback!

Deliard

PostFri May 24, 2019 9:25 am

This is what my Father shot on URSA Mini Pro:

Swissified

PostThu May 30, 2019 9:26 am

BrettHazlett wrote:The paragliding world cup final over a Jurassic landscape in Brazil.

https://vimeo.com/bretthazlett/nevercomedown2

Brett this is brilliant video..... enjoying looking at it all. Wonder what the birds think of all those 'things' in their air space!

jack1986

PostThu May 30, 2019 4:54 pm

BMPCC4K disco lights

apple pro res HQ 4k downconverted in HD
The logos were very dark so I apply gain and denoise with qualifier in post (a lot of visible artifacts but better than a black hole).

kacofilms

PostFri May 31, 2019 1:03 pm

Hey guys,

as a long time Canon 5D raw (magiclantern) shooter I have decided to switch to Pocket 4K this year.

Couple of my observations:
1. It would be amazing if the developers could add a function that will red-cross the display when not recording (or any more visible information). The shutter button is quite soft and having a finger ready to shoot all the moments you cannot recreate (wedding is full of unexpected moments) I have ended up shooting my shoes couple of times (the camera has been shooting and when I hit record to start recording, it actually stopped).
2. When the SD/Cfast or SSD starts to fill, the camera boot up time slows significantly. No matter if I use interal cards or external SSD. The file system (mac vs exfat) also doesn't seem to make any difference. Any chance to have improvement here? Since the camera is power hungry you have to turn it off a lot.

And couple of opinions:
1. Internal mics are really good.
2. Battery time can be expected (wasn't much better when shooting raw with 5D). Altough boot up time is really bad with cards half full.
3. I find cdng to be easier to playback/color grade then braw (with a really fast hard drives). When playing back cDNG, there is almost no CPU/GPU activity. However if I playback braw Q5, it can be really choppy (my drive array is fast enough).

In the end I am really happy with the results. Thank you Blackmagic

IanMalcolm

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 12:49 am

Great work, Kacofilms!

I appreciate you sharing your observations. I also was a Magic Lantern user with the 5D as well as the M. Coming from that world I knew the BMPCC4K had potential but I was waiting for a video like yours to demonstrate that.

A few questions:

What lenses and/or adapters did you use? What brand of ND?

What solutions did you use for pulling focus and stabilizing?

Are you shooting in Q5 exclusively?

Thanks!

kacofilms wrote:Hey guys,

as a long time Canon 5D raw (magiclantern) shooter I have decided to switch to Pocket 4K this year.

1. It would be amazing if the developers could add a function that will red-cross the display when not recording (or any more visible information). The shutter button is quite soft and having a finger ready to shoot all the moments you cannot recreate (wedding is full of unexpected moments) I have ended up shooting my shoes couple of times (the camera has been shooting and when I hit record to start recording, it actually stopped).
2. When the SD/Cfast or SSD starts to fill, the camera boot up time slows significantly. No matter if I use interal cards or external SSD. The file system (mac vs exfat) also doesn't seem to make any difference. Any chance to have improvement here? Since the camera is power hungry you have to turn it off a lot.

And couple of opinions:
2. Battery time can be expected (wasn't much better when shooting raw with 5D). Altough boot up time is really bad with cards half full.
3. I find cdng to be easier to playback/color grade then braw (with a really fast hard drives). When playing back cDNG, there is almost no CPU/GPU activity. However if I playback braw Q5, it can be really choppy (my drive array is fast enough).

JIB-Pro

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm

The film was shot in URSA Mini 4.6K and BMPCC.

Film trailer:

MikeMeagher

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Here's a link to my first action music video short, using the BMPCC-4K, as well as gopro, and a Phantom drone. Nothing fancy, just some fun of my kid hitting jumps at a local mounting biking area.
I shot BRAW at 3:1 mostly for the BM shots.

Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Phillip Rafter

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 am

R&B Music Video shot on the BMPCC 4K, wanted to test the frame rates and play around with the grades in Davinci (first project I've cut with Davinci). Would love any feedback you may have.

AbdoulUK

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 9:00 am

And couple of opinions:

Quality wise, this is the best Pocket footage I've seen to date. This is the only footage that I've seen that actually (to my eye) looks better than the Ursa G2 examples I've seen.

Que Thompson

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Phillip Rafter wrote:R&B Music Video shot on the BMPCC 4K, wanted to test the frame rates and play around with the grades in Davinci (first project I've cut with Davinci). Would love any feedback you may have.

I think the overall video is good. The scene at 1:40 looks the most cinematic to my eye. What's the difference? Perfect, soft light. Sure there's a little shadow on the talents face, but otherwise that light quality (and your exposure) was great in that shot. What's the difference between you and Lebron James? He's probably taller, stronger and faster. (Use any sport you like) The difference between a professional athlete and the guys at the neighborhood park are slight. It's kind of the same in this world. There are only a few things that separate the one man band from top tier, but those things are the ones that matter most. The videos that you love are normally shot with a sizable crew and have perfect lighting for each shot. In the future, I would focus on not only lighting, but quality of light and maybe using some filtration on the end of your lens. The Hollywood Black Magic filter is popular and Tiffen has a line of filters that are also great. I think the grade was good, a bit rich at times for my taste , but everyone has their own style. My work isn't perfect, we're all on the same path. Lighting is the key, we are essentially shaping light, it's almost all that matters. Check out Olan Collardy. He is a master of light. Good job though, keep going.

Dean Fisher

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 8:32 pm

And couple of opinions:

Beautiful work! How many times did you brazenly film Elizabeth Olsen? 8-)

Que Thompson

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 pm

And couple of opinions:

What a great wedding... I dream of being able to do something like that for my wife. Unbelievable the privilege some of us humans have. Great work with the cam btw. Looks great, I hope you charged them accordingly. :lol:

Phillip Rafter

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Que Thompson wrote:
Phillip Rafter wrote:R&B Music Video shot on the BMPCC 4K, wanted to test the frame rates and play around with the grades in Davinci (first project I've cut with Davinci). Would love any feedback you may have.

I think the overall video is good. The scene at 1:40 looks the most cinematic to my eye. What's the difference? Perfect, soft light. Sure there's a little shadow on the talents face, but otherwise that light quality (and your exposure) was great in that shot. What's the difference between you and Lebron James? He's probably taller, stronger and faster. (Use any sport you like) The difference between a professional athlete and the guys at the neighborhood park are slight. It's kind of the same in this world. There are only a few things that separate the one man band from top tier, but those things are the ones that matter most. The videos that you love are normally shot with a sizable crew and have perfect lighting for each shot. In the future, I would focus on not only lighting, but quality of light and maybe using some filtration on the end of your lens. The Hollywood Black Magic filter is popular and Tiffen has a line of filters that are also great. I think the grade was good, a bit rich at times for my taste , but everyone has their own style. My work isn't perfect, we're all on the same path. Lighting is the key, we are essentially shaping light, it's almost all that matters. Check out Olan Collardy. He is a master of light. Good job though, keep going.

Thank you Que for the thorough review of my work. It was strictly an independent, self-funded project, so yes, no big crew. I think the reason for your affection of that scene at 1:40 was because it was very overcast and raining slightly. Went with the mood of the song as well. I had a cinematographer friend work with me on some of the scenes, but some were also shot myself. I'd like to make more professional work, but it is hard to make an artistic statement like this and get funding for it. Sometimes it's easier to just grab a friend or two and go shoot. I was very anxious to shoot something after getting the camera, so this project was it, a little overly ambitious, but it was a huge learning process for me on how to use the camera optimally and also how to edit and grade in resolve. LeBron James, like Steph Curry we are seeing in the finals are both fine players, but without their supporting cast, they can't win a game on their own outright. Curry had half the teams points last game and it still wasn't enough. Filmmaking is definitely the same in that you need a strong team to pull off a strong result. Telling the story was most important for me here, but I will take your advice in paying more attention to the lighting. If anyone else has any other feedback, I would love to hear it.

Que Thompson

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 2:52 am

Phillip Rafter wrote:
Que Thompson wrote:

Thank you Que for the thorough review of my work. It was strictly an independent, self-funded project, so yes, no big crew. I think the reason for your affection of that scene at 1:40 was because it was very overcast and raining slightly. Went with the mood of the song as well. I had a cinematographer friend work with me on some of the scenes, but some were also shot myself. I'd like to make more professional work, but it is hard to make an artistic statement like this and get funding for it. Sometimes it's easier to just grab a friend or two and go shoot. I was very anxious to shoot something after getting the camera, so this project was it, a little overly ambitious, but it was a huge learning process for me on how to use the camera optimally and also how to edit and grade in resolve. LeBron James, like Steph Curry we are seeing in the finals are both fine players, but without their supporting cast, they can't win a game on their own outright. Curry had half the teams points last game and it still wasn't enough. Filmmaking is definitely the same in that you need a strong team to pull off a strong result. Telling the story was most important for me here, but I will take your advice in paying more attention to the lighting. If anyone else has any other feedback, I would love to hear it.

I totally understand. I am in the same boat as you. I’m not saying anything to imply that I have it all figured out. Lighting is king though. Story is the most important. A great story shot on an iPhone will beat no story on a RED. BUT! That look that we all are chasing is shaped by light. That’s all. Lighting is expensive so it’s not easy, but that’s my goal since getting the pocket 4K.

JIB-Pro

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 am

A VFX of a film. Shots by drones, BMPCC and URSA MINI 4.6k

focusandshadow

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

I made a short Doc on my Grandpa. Shot on the BMCC 1st gen with a little VHS and Super8 film sprinkled on top.

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 11:49 pm

Beautiful sensitive work.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 am

Yes, excellent work, shows a sensitivity to your subject, and respect. The BMCC camera work was excellent, and nicely lit. This shows the outstanding quality these early cameras could do, and still can do.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

William Allum

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Our ASMR based short horror ‘Closer’ just went up on Amazon Prime. :D

Shot mainly on the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera, with the original Pocket as the second camera.

Please take a look if you have a few spare minutes. Thanks.

Closer_Video_Hold_04_SM2_Poster_03.jpg
Closer_Video_Hold_04_SM2_Poster_03.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 29303 times

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07T2FNJVP/ref=share_ios_movie?fbclid=IwAR0L2M6hhfVXRKR2eM9sxQulEugYq3R1ytqUjqR5oMmhvNrCNct5F4nzmtg

rick.lang

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 1:43 am

Nice. Happy endings.

Rick Lang

Sami Sanpakkila

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 9:45 am

Shot a music video for the artist M. Below a link to a blog post about making of the music video as well. Shot with Pocket 4K and edited with Resolve 16 beta. Almost lost 7 days of work due to a crash. Literally when I clicked Deliver to render the final version! :D

https://samisanpakkila.com/2019/06/m-jos-tulen-takaisin/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iWZZ8AkLIQs

M Jos tulen takaisin_1.42.1.jpg
M Jos tulen takaisin_1.42.1.jpg (176.83 KiB) Viewed 28914 times

Norman Lang

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 3:20 am

My new trailer for What Goes Around. Shot on P4K and UM4.6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Norman Lang on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 5:07 am

Looks very good Norman.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joe Giambrone

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 9:59 am

Re: What Goes Around

To tell you the truth, it looks like there's an opportunity here for a better trailer, Trailer #2. What's the main crisis, the stakes? Cute quips and one liners only take you so far. We need more of a build up, the drama.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography