Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

gerardelmore

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm
  • Location: Kapolei, Hawaii

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Here's a quick spot we shot in Hawaii. Using a combination of FV LED ring lights and mostly available light. We usually shoot with RED but we decided to give the Blackmagic a try for this spot.



Shot RAW to see how much of the blown window I could bring back in Da Vinci. Everyone was so impressed with the camera we are shooting all the rest of the spots with the BMCC.

Love this camera!
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2205
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am

gerardelmore wrote:Here's a quick spot we shot in Hawaii. Using a combination of FV LED ring lights and mostly available light. We usually shoot with RED but we decided to give the Blackmagic a try for this spot.


Shot RAW to see how much of the blown window I could bring back in Da Vinci. Everyone was so impressed with the camera we are shooting all the rest of the spots with the BMCC. Love this camera!


Nice work!

How did you record the talent's audio?
http://www.peterdv.com
http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com
Offline

gerardelmore

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm
  • Location: Kapolei, Hawaii

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 am

Thanks Peter.

We recorded the audio directly into the camera and separately with an external recorder but the audio into the camera was clean, so I just used that.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
gerardelmore wrote:Here's a quick spot we shot in Hawaii. Using a combination of FV LED ring lights and mostly available light. We usually shoot with RED but we decided to give the Blackmagic a try for this spot.


Shot RAW to see how much of the blown window I could bring back in Da Vinci. Everyone was so impressed with the camera we are shooting all the rest of the spots with the BMCC. Love this camera!


Nice work!

How did you record the talent's audio?
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2205
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 am

gerardelmore wrote:We recorded the audio directly into the camera and separately with an external recorder but the audio into the camera was clean, so I just used that.


Shut up! :lol:

I'd love to hear more about how you did that. Cheers!
http://www.peterdv.com
http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com
Offline
User avatar

RoccoMusic

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:40 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm

I hadn't seen a video that compares the Film mode to Video mode, so I did a little :30 test and posted it here:



I used LED light panels, and there's a bit of soft lens flare since I haven't decided on a matte box yet. There's no audio because the album hasn't been released, but the audio on the camera sounds surprisingly good. I used a Rode NTG2 directly into the camera with a simple XLR > 1/4" adapter.

Canon 28-135 Kit Lens
ProRes 422 (HQ)
f/3.5
ASA 800
23.98fps
4500 K
LED light panels
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 am

Just shot this yesterday afternoon on the BMCC.

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at 30fps conformed to 23.98fps in RAW 2.5k.

Canon 24-105mm f4.0l lens used with Miller DV20 Solo Tripod and Wooden Camera Cage.

Graded in DaVinci Resolve and then edited in ProRes 4444 in FCPX.

Hope you like it!

Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 899
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 5:29 am

Todd Davies wrote:Just shot this yesterday afternoon on the BMCC.

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at 30fps conformed to 23.98fps in RAW 2.5k.

Canon 24-105mm f4.0l lens used with Miller DV20 Solo Tripod and Wooden Camera Cage.

Graded in DaVinci Resolve and then edited in ProRes 4444 in FCPX.

Hope you like it!



Looks great! What setting did you use to export the footage for Vimeo? It's so smooth, I never get my h.264 exported Vimeo uploads to look like that :shock:
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 6:37 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Todd Davies wrote:Just shot this yesterday afternoon on the BMCC.

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at 30fps conformed to 23.98fps in RAW 2.5k.

Canon 24-105mm f4.0l lens used with Miller DV20 Solo Tripod and Wooden Camera Cage.

Graded in DaVinci Resolve and then edited in ProRes 4444 in FCPX.

Hope you like it!



Looks great! What setting did you use to export the footage for Vimeo? It's so smooth, I never get my h.264 exported Vimeo uploads to look like that :shock:


Cheers Christian, I used the direct share to Vimeo option in FCPX. I have taken a still of the QT properties of the original file.

SETTINGS.png
SETTINGS.png (331.08 KiB) Viewed 14466 times
Offline
User avatar

MaxEmanuel

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Has anybody footage shooting with the Zeiss CP.2s? Especially the CP.2 50 Super Speed I would love to see... :mrgreen: Cheers, Max
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany
Offline

gerardelmore

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm
  • Location: Kapolei, Hawaii

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Peter,

I attribute it to dumb luck. Just listen through the head phones and guessed. I knew I had a backup so I just cranked the headphones up all the way and made sure it wasn't blowing out.

I wanted to use my laptop for the scopes but the thunderbolt cables are so short that it would have been a pain.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
gerardelmore wrote:We recorded the audio directly into the camera and separately with an external recorder but the audio into the camera was clean, so I just used that.


Shut up! :lol:

I'd love to hear more about how you did that. Cheers!
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 11:41 am

Really quick 20 minute shoot this afternoon with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Shot at 2.5k RAW at 30fps and conformed to 23.98fps.
Canon 50mm f1.2l Lens with Miller DV20 Solo Tripod.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.

Offline
User avatar

MaxEmanuel

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

Looks cool for a quick 20 minute shoot ;) I like the close ups in the beginning pretty much.
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany
Offline
User avatar

Juan Tizón

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Here is some more "look what I shot" (love the name of the topic BTW)
I've been shooting some interviews for a documentary but I can't show it yet. Nearly 5 hours of Prores. Also some shots for intercutting with a Canon DSLR in a music video. The camera has behaved quite well (except for the known current drawbacks)

I shot some random clips while going for a walk to get "the feel" of the camera. :)
Setup: Sigma 24-70 f2,8. Internal Battery. Kingston +v200 240GB. Handheld (using a mini tripod on my shoulder to get some of the weight off the camera).
This are some RAW clips before and after applying REC709 LUT and some exposure/WB adjustments (there are a couple of shots with a slight inverted S curve to get the sky back). There are first some single clip comparison, then (half screen) RAW vs 709 and then LUT709 full screen.


PS: There are some render errors (they appear on the highlights of some of the clips with curves applied) my ATI card is malfunctioning with Resolve on OSX 10.7.5 (It was working ok before! And my MacPro is a 2,1 so I can't update to 10.8 :( )
Juan Tizón
Offline

Sean

  • Posts: 154
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 am

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Juan Tizón wrote:Here is some more "look what I shot" (love the name of the topic BTW)
I've been shooting some interviews for a documentary but I can't show it yet. Nearly 5 hours of Prores. Also some shots for intercutting with a Canon DSLR in a music video. The camera has behaved quite well (except for the known current drawbacks)

I shot some random clips while going for a walk to get "the feel" of the camera. :)
Setup: Sigma 24-70 f2,8. Internal Battery. Kingston +v200 240GB. Handheld (using a mini tripod on my shoulder to get some of the weight off the camera).
This are some RAW clips before and after applying REC709 LUT and some exposure/WB adjustments (there are a couple of shots with a slight inverted S curve to get the sky back). There are first some single clip comparison, then (half screen) RAW vs 709 and then LUT709 full screen.


PS: There are some render errors (they appear on the highlights of some of the clips with curves applied) my ATI card is malfunctioning with Resolve on OSX 10.7.5 (It was working ok before! And my MacPro is a 2,1 so I can't update to 10.8 :( )

Great test!


Christine, if possible, this thread should be stickied. I'm sure it would greatly reduce the amount of new threads posted for tests/shots done on the BMCC if it were always on the front page.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.
Offline

Note Suwanchote

  • Posts: 251
  • Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Blackmagic EF
Rokinon 24mm 1.5
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
FV Ringlight x 1
Juan Melara LUT
Sun


Sound Devices 302
Marantz 661
Miller DV10

lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote
Offline

Sean

  • Posts: 154
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 am

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm

swaneon wrote:Blackmagic EF
Rokinon 24mm 1.5
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
FV Ringlight x 1
Juan Melara LUT
Sun


Sound Devices 302
Marantz 661
Miller DV10


Raw or pro-res?
Loved the ring lights falloff!
Great test.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.
Offline

Brad Ballew

  • Posts: 313
  • Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 pm
  • Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 3:04 am

So here is a segment I produced, shot, and edited for the show I work on in Dallas. I was a one man crew and used nothing but prime lenses. So a lot of switching back and forth. Which by the way, is it ok to swap lenses while the camera is on if they are fully mechanical.. as in they don't electronically link to the camera?

I would have loved to have had several days to work on this and really take my time shooting and editing but that's a rare luxury in the ENG world.

So here's another vid to add to the growing "Look what I shot!" thread. :)

Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 am

Hey all, been shooting this music video on the BMCC over the past few weeks and just finished it.

Music video produced for Ryan Hornby "Talking Spiders".
Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in ProRes film log mode at 25fps. Graded in Resolve 9 and edited in FCPX. Used a Canon 50mm f1.2l and Canon 24-105mm f4l lens.



Hope you all like it! :)
Offline

Note Suwanchote

  • Posts: 251
  • Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Sean wrote:
swaneon wrote:Blackmagic EF
Rokinon 24mm 1.5
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
FV Ringlight x 1
Juan Melara LUT
Sun


Sound Devices 302
Marantz 661
Miller DV10


Raw or pro-res?
Loved the ring lights falloff!
Great test.

the ring light was used in the frontal shots
raw
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Shot this yesterday on the BMCC for the local council as a paid job. Basically they wanted all the footage for use on their website and TV commercials in the coming years.

Here is a little piece a put together quickly with the footage.

Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 899
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 6:14 am

Todd Davies wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:
Todd Davies wrote:Just shot this yesterday afternoon on the BMCC.

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at 30fps conformed to 23.98fps in RAW 2.5k.

Canon 24-105mm f4.0l lens used with Miller DV20 Solo Tripod and Wooden Camera Cage.

Graded in DaVinci Resolve and then edited in ProRes 4444 in FCPX.

Hope you like it!



Looks great! What setting did you use to export the footage for Vimeo? It's so smooth, I never get my h.264 exported Vimeo uploads to look like that :shock:


Cheers Christian, I used the direct share to Vimeo option in FCPX. I have taken a still of the QT properties of the original file.

SETTINGS.png


Thanks for your reply :) I have noticed that FCPX exports a file with a bitrate of only 12Mbit/s when saving as a "Master file", makes total sense for the streaming export to be higher bitrate... :roll:

By the way, do you think RAW -> ProRes 4444 -> h.264 makes a difference to RAW -> ProRes 422 HQ -> h.264?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 7:06 am

I suppose it would, I mean my workflow is RAW to ProRes 4444 then output at whatever resolution is needed. I use the Master file setting for broadcast and then everything else use either Apple Devices or Vimeo.
Offline
User avatar

Roland Öller

  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am
  • Location: Austria

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 pm

This forum needs a "like"-button! :)

Any way, here is a scene which I recently shot with the BMCC. More information in the video description.

Vimeo-Link:


YouTube-Link with English subtitles:


This camera would be a reason to get the 1080p with Vimeo Plus. ;) Most web-compression doesn't do it justice.
Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 899
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 am

Todd Davies wrote:I suppose it would, I mean my workflow is RAW to ProRes 4444 then output at whatever resolution is needed. I use the Master file setting for broadcast and then everything else use either Apple Devices or Vimeo.


I guess it makes sense to keep as much colour information in the files as possible while editing, but does anybody know the technical side to this? I'm intrigued as to whether it really makes a difference considering the output will still be h.264.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 6:10 am

Hey all, quickly saw this location beside the road the other day and looked so remote I had to shoot it.



Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in ProRes film log mode with the Canon 50mm f1.2l lens.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.
Offline

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1421
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 am

Finally got some BMCC test footage up! Please read the descriptions on vimeo for more background info/thoughts for each video:





(this is one is exceptionally dry - haha)
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Offline

finalfocus

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 am
  • Location: Melbourne

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm

We just finalized our short film that we shot entirely on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. We used all Canon EF USM primes and color graded in Davinci with the assistance of the ColorGhears Pro tools.

Inside.
A curious young photographer discovers more than she bargains for when she decides to explore off the beaten track.



Enjoy...
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 9:07 am

Visited this absolutely amazing place on the weekend, Seal Rocks is truly a stunning place and so peaceful and relaxing. Had to share some shots of this great place! :)

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Canon 50mm f1.2l and a variable ND.
Miller Solo tripod with DS20 head.
Graded in Resolve and edited in Media Composer 6.5.

Offline

kassim

  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 pm
  • Location: chicago, illinois

First test shoot with BMCC

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Here's my first test shoot with the BMCC. I went really extreme with the grade as I wanted to push the footage as far as I could to test the camera's strengths and limits.

Kassim Norris
Offline
User avatar

Trevor Zuck

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: the 515

Re: First test shoot with BMCC

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm

kassim wrote:Here's my first test shoot with the BMCC. I went really extreme with the grade as I wanted to push the footage as far as I could to test the camera's strengths and limits.



love the grade
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios
Offline

kassim

  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 pm
  • Location: chicago, illinois

Re: First test shoot with BMCC

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm

TZuck wrote:
kassim wrote:Here's my first test shoot with the BMCC. I went really extreme with the grade as I wanted to push the footage as far as I could to test the camera's strengths and limits.



love the grade



Thanks TZuck!
Kassim Norris
Offline
User avatar

James Tonkin

  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:27 am
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

just saw this thread... so here's a reel from the last 6 months with the camera:

BMCC 2012 Reel


A selection of shots from projects filmed since I got a BMCC in Sept 2012. Some shots from client jobs, but a lot from travel whilst working last year as the size of the camera meant that I had it with me most of the time. Mostly all filmed in RAW apart from the rehearsal footage which was ProRes Video for quick delivery.

Camera: Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF Version)
Lens: Tokian 11-16, Canon 17-55 IS, Sigma 24mm f1.8, Canon 70-200 IS.
Post: FCPX & Resolve.
Music: Alan Witts
Offline
User avatar

GripworksCo

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 am
  • Location: Denver, Colorado USA

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 pm

James Tonkin wrote:just saw this thread... so here's a reel from the last 6 months with the camera:

BMCC 2012 Reel


A selection of shots from projects filmed since I got a BMCC in Sept 2012. Some shots from client jobs, but a lot from travel whilst working last year as the size of the camera meant that I had it with me most of the time. Mostly all filmed in RAW apart from the rehearsal footage which was ProRes Video for quick delivery.

Camera: Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF Version)
Lens: Tokian 11-16, Canon 17-55 IS, Sigma 24mm f1.8, Canon 70-200 IS.
Post: FCPX & Resolve.
Music: Alan Witts



Love it, James!
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com
Offline

Christine Peterson

  • Posts: 662
  • Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm
  • Location: Boston, MA

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Here are a few great ones that I don't think have been posted yet:

Auckland City -
Deserted -
Blackmagic Book Club -
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)
Offline

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1421
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 am

Christine Peterson wrote:Here are a few great ones that I don't think have been posted yet:

Auckland City -

Thanks Christine!! I posted my Auckland city one back here with a couple of others:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4848&start=70#p36610

CaptainHook wrote:Finally got some BMCC test footage up! Please read the descriptions on vimeo for more background info/thoughts for each video:





(this is one is exceptionally dry - haha)
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Offline

Ryan Best

  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 am
  • Location: London

Re: First test shoot with BMCC

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 am

kassim wrote:Here's my first test shoot with the BMCC. I went really extreme with the grade as I wanted to push the footage as far as I could to test the camera's strengths and limits.



Impressive... OH YES!!!
Offline
User avatar

Cam Macduff

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 am
  • Location: New Zealand

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 am

Todd Davies wrote:Visited this absolutely amazing place on the weekend, Seal Rocks is truly a stunning place and so peaceful and relaxing. Had to share some shots of this great place! :)

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Canon 50mm f1.2l and a variable ND.
Miller Solo tripod with DS20 head.
Graded in Resolve and edited in Media Composer 6.5.



Wow. What a spot. Where in Ausi? Looks a little like the national park just out of Noosa.
Offline

kassim

  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 pm
  • Location: chicago, illinois

Re: First test shoot with BMCC

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Ryan Best wrote:
kassim wrote:Here's my first test shoot with the BMCC. I went really extreme with the grade as I wanted to push the footage as far as I could to test the camera's strengths and limits.



Impressive... OH YES!!!



Hey thanks Ryan, glad you liked it.
Kassim Norris
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Cam Macduff wrote:
Todd Davies wrote:Visited this absolutely amazing place on the weekend, Seal Rocks is truly a stunning place and so peaceful and relaxing. Had to share some shots of this great place! :)

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Canon 50mm f1.2l and a variable ND.
Miller Solo tripod with DS20 head.
Graded in Resolve and edited in Media Composer 6.5.



Wow. What a spot. Where in Ausi? Looks a little like the national park just out of Noosa.


Thanks! It is a truly magical place! It is at Seal Rocks which is about 40 minutes south of Forster...
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Rokinon 85mm t1.5 Cine Lens. This lens is truly spectacular for its price and has an extremely smooth focus ring and sharp images... way more than what I was expecting! :)
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.

Offline
User avatar

Hearnia

  • Posts: 109
  • Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm
  • Location: Delray Beach FL

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Shot a toddler's birthday party (don't be jealous)

ProRes, graded with FilmConvert & Colorista.
vimeo.com/hearnstudios
Offline

Serkie

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 10:34 pm

I didnt shoot this but came across it on youtube, and wanted to share it.

Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 10:21 am

Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Rokinon 85mm t1.5 Cine Lens.
This lens is truly spectacular for its price and has an extremely smooth focus ring and sharp images, highly recommended for BMCC.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.

Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2205
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 am

Todd Davies wrote:Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Rokinon 85mm t1.5 Cine Lens.
This lens is truly spectacular for its price and has an extremely smooth focus ring and sharp images, highly recommended for BMCC.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.



Hi Todd: Looks good, except the motion seems slightly off to me (but could just be my tired eyes). I notice the file downloaded from Vimeo shows a frame rate of "50 fps" in QT player. Is that correct (or as intended)? Cheers.
http://www.peterdv.com
http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 6:39 am

Todd Davies wrote:Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Rokinon 85mm t1.5 Cine Lens.
This lens is truly spectacular for its price and has an extremely smooth focus ring and sharp images, highly recommended for BMCC.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.



Very nice Todd, I've seen this location before shot on red epic, Honestly your video looks as good if not better.

Thanks for sharing
Offline
User avatar

muratcangokce

  • Posts: 150
  • Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:36 pm
  • Location: Istanbul

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 11:04 am

I GLAD to announce that we FINALLY released our film on Vimeo account of our producer, which supplied camera equipment to us, Cine 360. They supplied us Shape Offset BMCC Rig, Movcam Rig and FF, Rolux AB mount batteries and two BMCC bodies of course... When we went them with the project, they backed us with full faith... They gave us an amazing chance with making first production of a that kind of a camera...

As I said before, we wanted to simulate a low budget indie film situation and we tried to not use that much of additional lights at all... Sometimes we filled only the key light, but at interiors we used a bit of light...

There is lots of thing about camera and most of them are good... I'll share my experienced with camera later, see you!

"PIGEON!" First BMCC production of TURKEY!


Behind The Scenes of "Pigeon!"


RAW and Graded footage comparison on "Pigeon!"s footage.


Comparison of "Pigeon!"s footage with different LUTs.
www.muratcan.film
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Todd Davies wrote:Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Rokinon 85mm t1.5 Cine Lens.
This lens is truly spectacular for its price and has an extremely smooth focus ring and sharp images, highly recommended for BMCC.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.



Very nice Todd, I've seen this location before shot on red epic, Honestly your video looks as good if not better.

Thanks for sharing


Thanks very much Darryl, yes it does have a great soft feel to it that I don't feel with the epic
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Todd Davies wrote:Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in RAW 2.5k with the Rokinon 85mm t1.5 Cine Lens.
This lens is truly spectacular for its price and has an extremely smooth focus ring and sharp images, highly recommended for BMCC.
Graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.



Hi Todd: Looks good, except the motion seems slightly off to me (but could just be my tired eyes). I notice the file downloaded from Vimeo shows a frame rate of "50 fps" in QT player. Is that correct (or as intended)? Cheers.


Hmm that's interesting... Must be something in the convert for Vimeo. Because I did shoot it at 30fps, then conformed it to 23.98fps for use in FCPX and then uploaded directly from there. Will look into it! Thanks Peter!
Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Shot on the BMCC with the Canon 24mm f1.4l Lens. I realised I forgot my tripod mount when I got there, so I decided the handheld look.

Shot this in the space of 15 minutes just before sunset and edited in about 20 minutes. I wanted to really get an idea of how fast the workflow could be in ProRes and prove that it is an amazing camera for FCPX integration and ease of use. I graded it in FCPX with the standard CC, no other filters used.

Offline
User avatar

Todd Davies

  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Part 1 of a commercial launch campaign shot with the BMCC. I used the Canon 16-35mm f2.8l lens for this with the Kessler Cineslider. Lighting was with a few Kino Flow Diva Lights and natural light coming in from the side.

Shot in Avid DNxHD and edited and graded in Media Composer 6.5.

More to come in the coming weeks.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gene Kochanowsky, John Simpson and 32 guests