Time Lapse Menu Labeling Error

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Benton Collins

Time Lapse Menu Labeling Error

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 am

I just upgraded to the new firmware with the time lapse feature and discovered an error in labeling in the onscreen menu. When the frame rate is set to "2 frames" (which should mean 2 frames per second) the camera actually records 10 frames per second and when the menu is set to "10 frames" the camera records 2 frames per second. The seconds and minutes settings are accurate. I haven't tried the other individual frame rates, but I'm assuming that the labeling just got reversed so "5 or 6 frames" is probably close to accurate. Other than the mislabeling, it's a cool feature to have on board.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Time Lapse Menu Labeling Error

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 am

Hi Benton,

The "2 Frames" option actually means it records 1 frame every 2 frames.

Similarly, when you select "10 frames", it records 1 frame every 10 frames.

Benton Collins

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi Benton,

The "2 Frames" option actually means it records 1 frame every 2 frames.

Similarly, when you select "10 frames", it records 1 frame every 10 frames.

I see and understand what you're saying, but In my opinion, it would be much better to use time, as in seconds, minutes and hours as the standard of reference. Just like any standard frame rate i.e. 24, 30 or 60 fps is clearly understood. Using just "frames" (i.e. 1 frame every 2 frames) is time arbitrary and the resulting recorded time lapse effect will vary depending on the selected camera frame rate. The frame rate settings that the camera operator sees and sets should be based on the consistent and familiar "frames per second", Frame rates shorter than one second should be labeled as "fps" (2.3.4.5... fps etc.) and frame rates of one second and longer should be stated just as you have them now, in seconds and minutes. Switching terms and standard of measure within the time lapse menu, in my opinion is going to introduce a lot of confusion. But maybe it's just me.

Larry Sellers

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 4:54 am

it's just you. they are breaking it down the most efficient way possible. hours, minutes, and seconds is all i get from my intervalometer for my 7D. BMD has broken it down further to frames. makes total sense. 2 frames = 12fps, 3 frames = 8fps, and so on.

honestly, i would probably never use any of the "frames" options as i never shoot timelapse faster than 1fps, but that's me.

Randy Walters

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 am

I had no difficulty understanding the screen display; I simply interpreted it as an intervalometer. The number displayed is the interval (in frames, seconds, etc.) before the next exposure. Couldn't be simpler.

David

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 5:32 am

cheezweezl wrote:it's just you. they are breaking it down the most efficient way possible. hours, minutes, and seconds is all i get from my intervalometer for my 7D. BMD has broken it down further to frames. makes total sense. 2 frames = 12fps, 3 frames = 8fps, and so on.

honestly, i would probably never use any of the "frames" options as i never shoot timelapse faster than 1fps, but that's me.

You can get some really cool effects with the frame option. I had my wife walk through the living room at half pace using 1 frame per 2 frames and when played back she looked like some weird stop motion puppet. Very Svankmejer!

Sure to be useful for the horror guys.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Benton Collins

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 am

cheezweezl wrote:it's just you. they are breaking it down the most efficient way possible. hours, minutes, and seconds is all i get from my intervalometer for my 7D. BMD has broken it down further to frames. makes total sense. 2 frames = 12fps, 3 frames = 8fps, and so on.

I like consistency in measurement references, and keeping the frame rates listed as FPS would do that. They already list 1 frame per second and so on, so why remove time and switch to "frames" as the reference for frame rates that are shorter than one second? The way they have it now, "2 frames" can be 12fps or 15fps, depending on wether the frame-rate in the camera is set to 24fps or 30fps. To me, it would be much simpler if 12fps and 15fps etc. could be listed and set directly. This is all a bit of a mute point anyway, as this special effect is usually not that critical in needing to set exact frame-rates at this frequency and I now know how their menu works even if I think an fps standard would be best.

Margus Voll

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 am

If you want to have your frame longer than 1 frame then just modify your
still import setting in your nle.

Any of them can give you that option.

It is good to have it like it is in camera. Timely distance before next exposure.
Then you can extend the longitude in post every way you like.

I think it is the basic idea of stop motion to crab 1 still in every exposure?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Margus Voll

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 am

If you want to have your frame longer than 1 frame then just modify your
still import setting in your nle.

Any of them can give you that option.

It is good to have it like it is in camera. Timely distance before next exposure.
Then you can extend the longitude in post every way you like.

I think it is the basic idea of stop motion to crab 1 still in every exposure?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Return to Cinematography