MFT questions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ronald Coltress

MFT questions

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 am

hey guys I'm a novice, a baby if you will in this game so I have some simple questions that may have been learned in film school so consider yourselves my teachers...
The MFT is designed to work with many different lenses, will each lens need its own specific adapter to connect to the camera or is there a somewhat universal lens adapter? (i told you pretty simple stuff)
I have access to a Helios 44-2 50mm, would this be a good fit for the BMCC MFT?
What about the Pentax C22525KP 25mm F1.4-22 C-Mount Lens, W/Locking Screw?
So you now may see my question about adapters come full circle
I don't have a ton of money so I have to start small, i would love to invest in one of the more high end lenses but right now I'm more worried about when the MFT's will start shipping (if ever) and getting used to the camera.
Thanks...also if you have any suggestions on inexpensive lenses I'm all ears!

Sean

Re: MFT questions

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am

There is no universal lens mount.
If you get the MTF, it has a MTF mount.
If you want to use a PL lens on it, you need a MTF to PL adapter.
If you want to use a Nikon lens, you need a MTF to the appropriate Nikon lens adapter.
You see where I'm going with this.

A 50mm lens will be more like a 130mm lens on the BMCC when compared to full frame sensors.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

nivou

Re: MFT questions

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am

There's no such thing as universal mount, The MFT version is compatible with MFT lenses. The only difference is that the MFT version is compatible (through adapters) to a wider range of mounts. The EF mount can take only Canon and Nikon Lenses (the Nikon through adapter). But keep in mind that the MFT model is passive and that means that you cannot control IRIS through camera and you have to buy lenses with a manual IRIS ring. I think that the MFT model is for more experienced videographers.

Return to Cinematography