RAW in film mode

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joe Gonzalez

RAW in film mode

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 3:35 pm

After the 1.2 update, i noticed when i record in Raw in Film mode, my image isn't flat. Am i missing something here. I understand that in display mode, you have the option to monitor in both but in record mode RAW in film is the only option. It should be flat right? . In pro-res i have both options, and when i record in Film mode in pro-res the image is flat as opposed to video mode which is baked with contrast and some color.
Also im using Samsaung 256 pro series 840 SSD and sometimes it reads and sometimes it cant find the card. It says no SSD, i have to physically pull it out, put it back in, or power off the unit and power up. Anyone else have this?
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

adamroberts

Re: RAW in film mode

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 4:05 pm

What are you viewing your RAW files in?

All apps will process the RAW file in their own way. Some apps will apply some sort of image processing that will "correct" the contrast.

Joe Gonzalez

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 4:24 pm

adamroberts wrote:What are you viewing your RAW files in?

All apps will process the RAW file in their own way. Some apps will apply some sort of image processing that will "correct" the contrast.

Hey Adam,

Resolve is what I'm using on Mac. Even previewing the DNG (right click,preview)I see lots of color. I've recorded in prores film mode to compare and previewing that file you can definitely see it flat.

adamroberts

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Preview tried to correct the file. Does it badly.

In Resolve it all depends on how you have set-up your project to develop the DNG files. If the Cinema Camera Vidoe LUT is applied to the footage you'll see an image that has contrast and is saturated. Set it to Film and your have a LOG type image.

Joe Gonzalez

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 5:07 pm

:)
adamroberts wrote:Preview tried to correct the file. Does it badly.

In Resolve it all depends on how you have set-up your project to develop the DNG files. If the Cinema Camera Vidoe LUT is applied to the footage you'll see an image that has contrast and is saturated. Set it to Film and your have a LOG type image.

Thanks,

I'll try that, and more tests today. I do love this camera, quarks aside. :)

Marcel Beck

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Regarding the SSD issue I had issues the first time as you need to treat it like a USB (Safely eject), otherwise it will come up with NO SSD, I keep my dock in my bag whenever on set just incase the camera decides to do it on its own (which is has when you power up and shut down several times)
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Joe Gonzalez

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 am

Marcel Beck wrote:Regarding the SSD issue I had issues the first time as you need to treat it like a USB (Safely eject), otherwise it will come up with NO SSD, I keep my dock in my bag whenever on set just incase the camera decides to do it on its own (which is has when you power up and shut down several times)

Good to know. Thanks.

Return to Cinematography