Recommendations for BMCC MFT accessories

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Olayer Galaz

Recommendations for BMCC MFT accessories

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 6:30 am

After 1 month reading and watching videos, reel etc. I choose the BMCC MFT instead of BMPC and now is when I really need all your recommendations to try to get the rights accessories and lens having just USD $1870

So this is the list:

-A Standard cine lens
-Extra battery(ies) + mount + charger
-Sd cards
- Hard driver(s)
If I'm forgetting something on this list please let me know. (I know about the screen but I guess i can skip for the moment using something to have less light over it )
I don't know if after this I can get a hand stabilizer that can work well for a low price or just buying a simple tripod. If u think this is impossible to buy having this budget so I can skip it for the moment and begin the project using home-made solutions.

EDIT: I forgot the metabones speedboster in the list!

Anatoly Mashanov

Re: Recommendations for BMCC MFT accessories

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 8:18 am

Olayer Galaz wrote:$1870

-A Standard cine lens
-Extra battery(ies) + mount + charger
-Sd cards
- Hard driver(s)
or just buying a simple tripod.
EDIT: I forgot the metabones speedboster in the list!

1. The BMCC sensor size is slightly bigger than BMPCC so the popular C-mount zooms - Canon V-series and Fujinon C-series - may vignette and need a try before buy. I think it's OK to use some vtg 28-70mm zoom and corresponding speedbooster (not necessary Metabones). Save your money for the time you'll understand what exactly lens you need.

2. Extra batteries? Anything that gives 12 or so volts. I use a notebook battery. It hangs in a shopping packet below my tripod but it still works. A _drone_ charger (I use 6x80Plus) because it charges everything. If you nickname is Schwarzenegger then you can use a car battery.

3. SD cards????? Buy the SSDs that are listed on this site as compatible. Use any SATA to USB dock you like.

4. Use any HDD you like - the faster the better. Lots of HDD!

5. Tripod with a _fluid_ head is a necessity.

PS Why not BMPC? I'd really prefer BMPC4K if I had money. It needs only a simple adapter ring to use all the collection of old optics and it works with lots of modern Canon optics.

Olayer Galaz

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 10:01 am

Anatoly Mashanov wrote:
Olayer Galaz wrote:

PS Why not BMPC? I'd really prefer BMPC4K if I had money. It needs only a simple adapter ring to use all the collection of old optics and it works with lots of modern Canon optics.

I really worry about the low light in the BMPC4k. I don't know if people exaggerate their comments about it or they simple can't adapt well to the conditions. For the main project 90% of shots are no-inside scenes and the other point is about to lose the cinematographic effect that give you easily the BMCC. But I really like the 4k!!! thats the question. thanks for all the typs and let me know about it

Anatoly Mashanov

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 2:45 am

Olayer Galaz wrote:I really worry about the low light in the BMPC4k.

I think it's not so big problem. In such low light conditions you can always gain a stop or two with: Angle=360; Some extra bright lens (f/1.4) and just rescaling from UHD to HD. Also, the noise suppressor plugin in you editor gives about 2 stops too.

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 am

Anatoly, I'll be using DaVini Resolve's noise suppression on my low light wedding footage. Hope you're right that I can cheat a stop or two as I'll likely need that helping hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Anatoly Mashanov

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:38 am

rick.lang wrote:Anatoly, I'll be using DaVini Resolve's noise suppression on my low light wedding footage. Hope you're right that I can cheat a stop or two as I'll likely need that helping hand.

The most important thing in such conditions is IMHO not to be tempted to open the aperture too wide. You can do something with the noise but you can do nothing with sharpness. I've spoiled a lot of footage.

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 am

I'll do a test this week with the Fujinon Cine zoom wide open at T2.4 and at about T2.8 and T4. Shooting raw, I could apply some sharpening but I haven't used that before. The Cine zoom is supposed to have better optics than an ENG lens, but it is an old lens!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Olayer Galaz

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 11:42 am

After your recommendations I have been thinking about the 4k and It really see a right choose. I found a lot of new material in Vimeo and I like a lot what can the production can do. No so afraid about the low light now
I'm very amateur about it but I think I begin to understand all the concepts but I still would like to know what lens should be my first to begin

Anatoly Mashanov

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Olayer Galaz wrote:but I still would like to know what lens should be my first to begin

For BMPC4K? Some bright vtg lens (M42 mount, for instance) and a 28-70mm f/3.5 vtg zoom. And a corresponding adapter ring with focus chip. It's cheap as [beep], and you save your money for the more serious lenses you will surely need in the future.

Return to Cinematography