4.6k Shipments

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Paul Kapp

Re: 4.6k Shipments

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 7:19 am

John Simpson wrote:Actually I want to clarify... I was told that if I wanted to change my order from EF to PL it would be several months away, on reflection I think that means I would have to go to the back of the cue and not that the PL mount versions aren't shipping... I shall try to confirm this when I pick up the camera.

That would make sense if true.
Thanks John

John Simpson

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 7:29 am

Robert Niessner wrote:That's great news for you John!

Personally I wouldn't mind if my camera ships later in a few months - I just would like to know an approximation so I can make a decision if I could invest meanwhile into other equipment or need the money for the camera now and invest later into other things.

That is so true Robert! Also it seems a lot of camera manufacturers want to keep future cameras/tech under wraps... They don't seem to understand we need to plan for these expenditures and that we don't have buckets of money just laying around to be spent whenever they decide to release a product!! ...Ok well JJ Abrams does :/ ... Anyway the point is companies like Intel/Amd have all sorts of high tech/IP and they give us 1-2 year future roadmaps... can't see why that can't happen in the camera business. I certainly can see why in consumer area doesn't need it but professionals need that information... and I'm pretty sure Arri, Red and Panavision give hollywood the heads up...
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Matthew Ferrara

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Update:
According to the UPS tracking number, the eagle is in flight and should land in the nest today. I'll believe it when I see it. UPS tracking has been mostly accurate in my experience but this entire debacle has me questioning everything. Then there's the issue of magenta-ficiation pending. That's all the news from Lake Wobegon. More as it happens.

Norman Lang

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 4:27 pm

James Barnett wrote:
Norman Lang wrote:
James... The BMPC 4K produces some of the most beautiful images available at any price! The 2.5K and the Pocket as well. Yes. I know, if you have enough light etc. It's always going to be something. The existing lineup by BM is great. There are allowances you have to make and stuff you have to add to kit it out, but the results speak for themselves. The Ursa Mini has better ergonomics. The 4K mini has the same sensor as the BPMC. The 4.6 sensor is so gorgeous, but it has issues that need to be worked out. I don't work there and I have no way of judging the wisdom of their silence, or customer service. I'm just saying I love shooting with the cameras that have been out for a while. I don't need anything else. That didn't stop me from buying a UM4.6 and shooting with it for a couple of months. I mostly loved it. But yes there were a few occasions where the magenta tint bugged me so I sent it back and I resumed shooting with my existing cameras. I immediately placed a new order for another one though, because I enjoyed shooting with it and I loved the images. Hopefully, the new one won't have any issues. Then I will keep it. If not, it goes back. Why would I put up with all the shenanigans? Because, eventually they get it right. It's been the same for almost all their releases. And because... The price is way lower than anything else with this kind of image quality. And the dynamic range, 12 bit raw, every flavor of Prores, using EF lenses, using off the shelf media, free copy of Resolve. Hey wait a minute... Blackmagic should be paying me for this! lol. I sound like a fan boy. I'm not. Everyone knows they scamper and hide when the stuff doesn't work. Just when you are ready to pull the plug though, they manage to deliver. We are pioneers as they are. We are bound to take a few arrows as we explore. Let's hope BM learns from every experience and fixes things enough to keep customers and stay in business! In the mean time those of you with the previous cameras... Happy shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Norman, thanks for the tips, I already have a BMPCC which is great in all honesty however I'm waiting for the URSA Mini 4.6k to do a bit marketing push with AD agencies along with an increase in rates, I really want to try and move in a different direction and do more creative work on a regular basis, who knows if it will happen but I'm going to have a good go at it.

My thoughts on the 4k are I'm sure it will give you an amazing image, however for me I don't want to invest in a sensor which is around 5 years old, it just seems a bit silly to me, I don't often get a bulk sum of money to spend on gear so I really want to invest in the best I possibly can with the money available.

I have been pretty vocal lately about the lack of camera's coming into the UK mainly out of frustration, however the world keeps spinning and its only a camera at the end of the day I will get my hands on one eventually. Im sure BM are working hard on getting these produced and ironing out the kinks.

For the meantime I will wait patiently for the 4.6K.

Fwiw my new 4.6K will arrive by the end of the week according to B&H. Fingers crossed that we will be seeing a new batch without issues. I will keep you posted.

Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

jakemccurdy

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 5:24 pm

I called Adorama this morning and the sales rep told me that they received 3 last week and they are getting about 8 every two weeks. There are currently 23 people in their queue.

James Alexander Barnett

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Norman Lang wrote:
James Barnett wrote:
Norman Lang wrote:
James... The BMPC 4K produces some of the most beautiful images available at any price! The 2.5K and the Pocket as well. Yes. I know, if you have enough light etc. It's always going to be something. The existing lineup by BM is great. There are allowances you have to make and stuff you have to add to kit it out, but the results speak for themselves. The Ursa Mini has better ergonomics. The 4K mini has the same sensor as the BPMC. The 4.6 sensor is so gorgeous, but it has issues that need to be worked out. I don't work there and I have no way of judging the wisdom of their silence, or customer service. I'm just saying I love shooting with the cameras that have been out for a while. I don't need anything else. That didn't stop me from buying a UM4.6 and shooting with it for a couple of months. I mostly loved it. But yes there were a few occasions where the magenta tint bugged me so I sent it back and I resumed shooting with my existing cameras. I immediately placed a new order for another one though, because I enjoyed shooting with it and I loved the images. Hopefully, the new one won't have any issues. Then I will keep it. If not, it goes back. Why would I put up with all the shenanigans? Because, eventually they get it right. It's been the same for almost all their releases. And because... The price is way lower than anything else with this kind of image quality. And the dynamic range, 12 bit raw, every flavor of Prores, using EF lenses, using off the shelf media, free copy of Resolve. Hey wait a minute... Blackmagic should be paying me for this! lol. I sound like a fan boy. I'm not. Everyone knows they scamper and hide when the stuff doesn't work. Just when you are ready to pull the plug though, they manage to deliver. We are pioneers as they are. We are bound to take a few arrows as we explore. Let's hope BM learns from every experience and fixes things enough to keep customers and stay in business! In the mean time those of you with the previous cameras... Happy shooting!

Hey Norman, thanks for the tips, I already have a BMPCC which is great in all honesty however I'm waiting for the URSA Mini 4.6k to do a bit marketing push with AD agencies along with an increase in rates, I really want to try and move in a different direction and do more creative work on a regular basis, who knows if it will happen but I'm going to have a good go at it.

My thoughts on the 4k are I'm sure it will give you an amazing image, however for me I don't want to invest in a sensor which is around 5 years old, it just seems a bit silly to me, I don't often get a bulk sum of money to spend on gear so I really want to invest in the best I possibly can with the money available.

I have been pretty vocal lately about the lack of camera's coming into the UK mainly out of frustration, however the world keeps spinning and its only a camera at the end of the day I will get my hands on one eventually. Im sure BM are working hard on getting these produced and ironing out the kinks.

For the meantime I will wait patiently for the 4.6K.

Fwiw my new 4.6K will arrive by the end of the week according to B&H. Fingers crossed that we will be seeing a new batch without issues. I will keep you posted.

Please let me know how you get on with it and if all of the magenta kinks have been ironed out.

Really hoping mine will come into the UK soon!!!
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

John Simpson

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 7:26 am

BOOM!!!!!!!! :lol: 8-)

IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg (497.08 KiB) Viewed 8502 times
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

William Eguienta

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 7:31 am

I think... I'm totally jealous ! Haha enjoy

www.kaiz3r.net

Richard Oakes

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 8:23 am

John Simpson wrote:BOOM!!!!!!!! :lol: 8-)

IMG_1073.jpg

Champagne indeed!
Richard Oakes.

John Simpson

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks guys big moment for me :D My rep told me this is one of the first cameras delivered after the production restart throughout Australia!! Lucky me! though perhaps a little of the 'last man standing' scenario hahahaha
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Fahnon Bennett

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm curious if your camera is physically different from mine in any way.

Matthew Ferrara

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 12:46 pm

7 Weeks, 4 days. No Magenta, no EVF flickering, no FNP.

John Simpson

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Fahnon Bennett wrote:I'm curious if your camera is physically different from mine in any way.

To be honest I doubt they're different, I did receive an AC power adapter in the box, I thought they didn't come with one(?) but certainly outward signs show they're identical. If there are changes it'd have to be internal surely? Only BMD know if they made any changes or even if there 'was' a production stoppage... I think we're all just guessing... but the most important thing is cameras are being sent out finally and just hope more go out quickly so we can all get on and make incredible pictures :D
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

John Simpson

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Matthew Ferrara wrote:7 Weeks, 4 days. No Magenta, no EVF flickering, no FNP.

Matthew you are in a VERY exclusive club my friend 8-)
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Valentin Remy

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Just got an answer from a camera reseller in France (PBS Video): they said they don't have any delay because the camera is sold out at Blackmagic :/ And no info about the next shipping.
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

Vanni Mastrantonio

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Valentin Remy wrote:Just got an answer from a camera reseller in France (PBS Video): they said they don't have any delay because the camera is sold out at Blackmagic :/ And no info about the next shipping.

Same situation at CVP in UK...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Maurice Windley

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 pm

John Simpson wrote:
Fahnon Bennett wrote:I'm curious if your camera is physically different from mine in any way.

To be honest I doubt they're different, I did receive an AC power adapter in the box, I thought they didn't come with one(?) but certainly outward signs show they're identical. If there are changes it'd have to be internal surely? Only BMD know if they made any changes or even if there 'was' a production stoppage... I think we're all just guessing... but the most important thing is cameras are being sent out finally and just hope more go out quickly so we can all get on and make incredible pictures :D

:), I almost believe my reps info now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Simpson

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 1:49 pm

FWIW my camera has 3.3 firmware already applied from factory... the EVF was at 2.6 (not surprised old stock)... camera clearly manufactured recently... interesting :)
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

William Eguienta

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 2:10 pm

John can you please stop being happy in front of us until we got ours ? That's totally disrespectful !
Ahaha dont hesitate to show what you made with your new really coveted toy

www.kaiz3r.net

Richard Oakes

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm

John Simpson wrote:FWIW my camera has 3.3 firmware already applied from factory... the EVF was at 2.6 (not surprised old stock)... camera clearly manufactured recently... interesting :)

please do the dreaded 50mm f8 test on a white wall
Richard Oakes.

Haitham Al Lawati

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 pm

I have emailed Blackmagic Design to make an inquiry about the shipment of the camera and here is what they answered:
"Hi Haitham

Thank-you for your email.

I can confirm that the Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K EF is shipping, however we are still in the process of fulfilling pre-orders. We are currently awaiting an update from our manufacturer in Australia regarding our next delivery which we are hoping for very soon. Because of this it is impossible to forecast exact delivery dates at this time for new and existing orders at this time.

We hope to have all outstanding orders fulfilled as soon as possible!

Kind regards,

Sales Administrator EMEA"

John Simpson

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 1:40 am

William Eguienta wrote:John can you please stop being happy in front of us until we got ours ? That's totally disrespectful !
Ahaha dont hesitate to show what you made with your new really coveted toy

Haha so sorry William but can't wipe the smile off may face! yes yes for sure so exciting... well it will be till I find the #@%$ magenta issue :lol:
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

John Simpson

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 1:43 am

Richard Oakes wrote:
John Simpson wrote:FWIW my camera has 3.3 firmware already applied from factory... the EVF was at 2.6 (not surprised old stock)... camera clearly manufactured recently... interesting :)

please do the dreaded 50mm f8 test on a white wall

I have the Canon 50L and Sigma Art 50 so will test both if you like... is that the worst FL which others should I test... and apertures F8 and beyond?
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Linell Roy

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Matthew Ferrara wrote:Update:
According to the UPS tracking number, the eagle is in flight and should land in the nest today. I'll believe it when I see it. UPS tracking has been mostly accurate in my experience but this entire debacle has me questioning everything. Then there's the issue of magenta-ficiation pending. That's all the news from Lake Wobegon. More as it happens.

Did you get yours? and has any one got a camera recently
IG @DatGuyESEF

Matthew Ferrara

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Linell Roy wrote:
Matthew Ferrara wrote:Update:

Did you get yours? and has any one got a camera recently

Yes I did. It arrived at like, 7pm haha. Jerks. A fight down to the last second. So far I am quite happy with it.

At times there looks like some magenta, but the shot will pan to a lighter pixel and then it will not be there. I did a test on foam core under controlled studio lighting and the only magenta I was able to pull was after a steroid injection into contrast and saturation. It was also uniformly in a vignette shape which makes it quite easy to correct if I feel like nit picking over the kinds of details only flies can see when they land on the monitor.

Tim Garrison

Ursa Mini 4.6K still not available

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 6:13 pm

On this date (7/25/16) the B&H website shows the Ursa Mini 4.6K as A "NEW ITEM - COMING SOON" and the list the ship time as not available. We have had one of these cameras on order since 9/15 and the B&H guys say they have no information from Blackmagic on when they can expect to get a shipment of cameras in. What is the actual status of Blackmagic shipping Ursa Mini 4.6k cameras?

dannyvillanuevajr

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Anyone in the U.S. receive a mini 4.6k EF from B&H recently? If so, when did you place your order?

Adam Simmons

Re: Ursa Mini 4.6K still not available

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 7:01 am

According to the UK distributor the cameras are already shipping with no indication of supply problems

https://www.holdan.co.uk/Blackmagic+Des ... ni+4.6K+PL
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

PhilBurt

Re: Ursa Mini 4.6K still not available

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 am

I have now been waiting on an URSA mini 4K PL in excess of six weeks. I seem to have managed to get my hands on the last one in Europe, next day ordered a second to complement a multi camera event. Why does no one know when any more will be available?

Dan Shay

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:20 pm

dannyvillanuevajr wrote:Anyone in the U.S. receive a mini 4.6k EF from B&H recently? If so, when did you place your order?

I ordered a mini 4.6 ef from B&H on June 1st, 2016 and received it yesterday(July 26th).

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Matthew Ferrara wrote: On June 30th I contacted 1 Source Video (BMD distributor, so I'm told) they apologized for the lack of communication from BMD yadda yadda. The gentleman told me they halted production because the sensors were not performing up to standard, even after the decision to pull the global shutter.

What was the problem with the sensors? And then what about all the people that received their cameras already? They all have faulty or inferior sensors?
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Matthew Ferrara

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Michael McCaffrey wrote:
Matthew Ferrara wrote: On June 30th I contacted 1 Source Video (BMD distributor, so I'm told) they apologized for the lack of communication from BMD yadda yadda. The gentleman told me they halted production because the sensors were not performing up to standard, even after the decision to pull the global shutter.

What was the problem with the sensors? And then what about all the people that received their cameras already? They all have faulty or inferior sensors?

Magenta coloring and fixed noise patterns and such. My cam has some weird noise when boosting footage from iso 1600, but Alexa footage at 1600 does similar things so I'm not upset.

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 5:20 pm

When I know the overall light is too low for a good exposure at ISO 1600, I see a lot of bright blue noise particularly on very dark clothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Demetrius Spencer

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I just received my URSA Mini 4.6K EF Mount yesterday July 27,2016 from Adorama. My order was placed on June 2nd, 2016. Serial number starts with 3114...

silvio bonomi

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 5:16 am

Demetrius Spencer wrote:I just received my URSA Mini 4.6K EF Mount yesterday July 27,2016 from Adorama. My order was placed on June 2nd, 2016. Serial number starts with 3114...

....at this point is clear : there is a serious problem with EU market. If BMD despite being perfectly aware of the dramatic situation of backorders in the EU continues to favor the US market facts like this is a little evidence . The calc is simple: if Adorama, that is not a small retailer, can honor an order placed from scratch in June means that does not have a long list of backorders to be met and is almost, at today, in the condition to has cameras in stock . Question is: why leave EU market with hundreds of backorders ( many fully paid...) of frustrated and angry customers without a single clear word of explanation ? Fantastic and serious sellers like CVP losing their long good reputation to reassure their customers without having the slightest idea what's going on and why.

William Eguienta

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 7:20 am

Maybe BMD supply USA first because of the next event in Los Angeles in august to hide there is a problem and make american customer happy for the event

www.kaiz3r.net

Adam Simmons

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 am

More likely that those companies placed bigger pre-orders so they get a higher percentage of the shipped units.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Richard Oakes

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 9:10 am

Adam Simmons wrote:More likely that those companies placed bigger pre-orders so they get a higher percentage of the shipped units.

b&h is fulfilling orders placed in June, while the UK has waiting lists as long as 60 people who placed their order a year ago. Whatever the BS reason is, it's unacceptable. BM have proven they really have zero value or respect for their UK customers.
Richard Oakes.

silvio bonomi

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Richard Oakes wrote: B&h is fulfilling orders placed in June, while the UK has waiting lists as long as 60 people who placed their order a year ago. Whatever the BS reason is, it's unacceptable. BM have proven they really have zero value or respect for their UK customers.

+1

Steven Abrams

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Richard Oakes wrote:b&h is fulfilling orders placed in June, while the UK has waiting lists as long as 60 people who placed their order a year ago. Whatever the BS reason is, it's unacceptable. BM have proven they really have zero value or respect for their UK customers.

Has brexit affected the price there yet? I wonder if there are negotiations of pricing with dealers and distributors still going on contributing to the wait.

James Alexander Barnett

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Steven Abrams wrote:
Richard Oakes wrote:b&h is fulfilling orders placed in June, while the UK has waiting lists as long as 60 people who placed their order a year ago. Whatever the BS reason is, it's unacceptable. BM have proven they really have zero value or respect for their UK customers.

Has brexit affected the price there yet? I wonder if there are negotiations of pricing with dealers and distributors still going on contributing to the wait.

Yeah it has, the body is up around £300, I doubt they are negotiating as the resellers have already upped the price on their sites, unless they are trying to get cams honoured at the same price for the people who have back orders. Who knows?
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 12:48 am

You may have placed the order a year ago, but when did the Uk distributor place the order with BM, that my friend is the question yiu should be asking :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JL Rocheron

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello , same problem in France official reseller Blackmagic no date for the Ursa mini 4.6K some of my Speaking in March 2017 ... In which European country I Can commander Ursa mini 4.6K ? If the person sells, you can contact me by mp .Thanks you :D
JL Rocheron
Film Director - Stunt Coordinator
www.onde2choc.com

Willem Timmersma

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 7:35 pm

You could try videobewerken.nl It currently says "limited availability call for order''.

I ordered my ursa mini 4.6K at kamera express like 2 months ago, one week after my order I had my ursa! But the rep said I was very lucky, since then they didn't received any ursa 4.6k's.

Pete Harbour

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 7:33 am

Like I said in a post earlier I think the reason BM isn't shipping to the UK is because of our much stricter consumer laws.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 8:37 am

Pete Harbour wrote:Like I said in a post earlier I think the reason BM isn't shipping to the UK is because of our much stricter consumer laws.

BMD is NOT shipping to the WHOLE EU.
And consumer laws DO NOT apply to business customers.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

William Eguienta

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 11:25 am

Pete Harbour wrote:Like I said in a post earlier I think the reason BM isn't shipping to the UK is because of our much stricter consumer laws.

If it was the case, none of european sellers had one. Here its not the case. Some ursa mini were solded in EU

www.kaiz3r.net

Robert Niessner

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 5:58 pm

William Eguienta wrote:

If it was the case, none of european sellers had one. Here its not the case. Some ursa mini were solded in EU

Yeah, some were sold. But no vendor has received new units to sell since several months.
My Vendor told me, the only new cameras he gets is for exchange of RMAed cameras.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Steven Abrams

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 pm

They are just as strict in Australia where they are still selling them.

erikeikrem

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 9:53 am

Waited since early April 2016. Ordered in Norway at skandinavianphoto and they say that BM still don't can provide an estimated delivery date. Will soon consider a Sony

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography