Shoulderrig recommandations?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

berger

Shoulderrig recommandations?

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Hello,

i am searching for a compact shoulderrig for the BMC EF. For me it is very import that I have a good and solid quality and much flexibility. I know the bebob lightweight rig for bmc but what I really do not like is that it is not possible to adjust the rotation of the handles without any tools. I also think that it is hard to mount stuff on the cage because it is so close to the camera.

I like the rewo cage for bmc but 700€ only for the ring are way too much! Do you have any recommandations?

Thanks!

Joshpapp

Re: Shoulderrig recommandations?

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 am

http://www.shapewlb.com/en/product/prod ... %3dPrixASC

Check out the Shape range of products, made in Canada and come with a lifetime warranty.
The basic cage is 580 euro and the handle rotates at a push of a button. Truly tooless solution.
We have sold many here in Melbourne and are very light weight and excellent qulaity.

Steve Lee Jean

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 am

In the rig world you very much get what you pay for.

You could check out Lanparte, as I believe they have excellent quality for the price, a little-little bit on the pricey side and made in China, if that sort of thing bothers you. (Doesn't for me, they make excellent gear)

Only ONE company I know has consistently made good gear at the low end and thats CPM film tools, but they definite do DSLR stuff, however, they have new PRO KITS, which start at $650 and go up to $1,300. Oh, very modular and VERY VERY light weight.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

berger

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you very much! It is not so important that it is cheap, what i really like is solid quality and i know that good quality costs more.

I really like the mechanism of the Shape handles! Looks very innovative. I will talk to my dealer if they have one in store to test it.

berger

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am

Thank you! Looks good and cheap, but i need 15mm rods for my follow-focus and my mattebox and i want to have a handle from the top.

When i looked for informations for the shape rig i found on a store a rig named six-pro bullit. Looks like they are really new - can not find many informations about the rigs. I really like the concept of the nato-rails and the compact design.

Do you have informations about the rig?

Andrea Cecchini

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 am

I have a Titanium light cage complete from Bebob. I have touch with my hand a Shape from my friend. he was shocked when he look Bebob. So much so that he put on the sale his immediately.
Same price but different school. I like more German personally ...remember me Arri!
Is a perfect balance on the shoulder, so compact and very very sturdy. Yes, maybe you will feel uncomfortable having to use a wrench to modify the angle of handgrips, but I assure you once you have found your confortable location rarely will change later. And do not forget the Evf Holder...never ever I look a simply and sturdy solution for my Alphatron. always perfect friction when you found the position always linear in level. Very important. Actually hate the arms to support the evf because it turns them loose whenever!

Have some photo (without camera agrrrr...) but in this forum I found complicated to post it.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I've been "eyeing" the P&C rig for a while. Seems like a good rig for the price. No cage, although I believe that's kind of optional on the BMCC as the camera itself has three mounting points.

http://www.photographyandcinema.com/pro ... eo-rig-kit
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

muratcangokce

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 am

www.muratcan.film

Stephen Obrien

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi,
I am new to this forum!

I just got my Blackmagic and I am glad I got the Shape shoulder mount.

I chose the one that is straight, because I am planing on using an Alphatron ( eventually )
this shoulder rig is amazing. the Shape handles mechanism is by far the best on the market.

They have great setup pictures on their website.
http://www.shapewlb.com/en/product/prod ... reationASC

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 pm

That's encouraging because I ordered a Shape inline rig from B&H and it's already on its way... I'll probably be using it with my Sony Nex-7 while I await my BMCC :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

GripworksCo

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 pm

I also have the Shape Cage and top handle on order from B&H. Will be going with the IKAN Shoulder rig.
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

Brett G

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm

I am rocking the Shape shoulder mount rig for the BMCC. It is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Brett G wrote:I am rocking the Shape shoulder mount rig for the BMCC. It is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone.

I guess I made a good choice, then. That cage is going to look a little funny with a tiny Nex-7 in it while I wait for my BMCC to ship ;)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Joseph Ciccarella

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm

I like the Wooden Camera Cage for BMCC.
What's nice is it has lots of 1/4 20 and 3/8 holes to rig off of, giving you many possibilities.
It's also cheaper than most of the other cages and covers the entire body should you want that.

http://woodencamera.corecommerce.com/Bl ... e-BMC.html

As far as shoulder rigs go (if you're looking for inexpensive) I've always liked Cavision.

http://www.cavision.com/rods/rodsaccessories.htm

They give you some nice options and best of all they're pretty cheap.

I do agree though, you get what you pay for!

Best,
J
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Stephen Obrien

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Brett G wrote:I am rocking the Shape shoulder mount rig for the BMCC. It is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone.

Me too! the red buttons handles are just fabulous. so quick!

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Because I'm on a budget and an idiot as well I went the cheap way and bought something from CPM - this is by far the cheapest stuff (quality wise) I ever bought, a waste of money. Everything I bought from China so far was even cheaper and of superior quality.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Return to Cinematography