Audio and Power idiosyncracies

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dennis Nomer

Audio and Power idiosyncracies

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am

Forgive me if someone has covered this, but I noticed these two characteristics of the BMCC, both of which surprised me:
1. When I have my brick connected to the power in of the BMCC (which is the way this camera was designed to function), when I turn it off, it goes off, then bounces back on (almost always). I assume this is a firmware thing. I prefer that it actually turn off, period, when I hold the power button in for 2 seconds, per the manual. Some designers assume you have wall power when external power is supplied to a camera, but in this case I think the assumption should be a brick on the rig is supplying the power, and we want it to actually shut off when we tell it to shut down. So I have to unplug the power to the camera, then turn it off, then plug the brick back in. That is more hassle for a simple function.

2. I did a shoot at an event where the sound was deafening (super loud). I discovered an undocumented feature of the BMCC, which may fool some of you in a similar situation, as it fooled me. If the BMCC sees clipping sound (pretty high level) for several seconds, it shuts off the audio. This fooled me. I thought something was broken. Since there are no audio meters (NO AUDIO METERS!!), I was not sure what the issue was, and I had a new preamp and I tried a bunch of things. I discovered that rebooting the camera restored the audio until it shut off again due to high levels. Eventually I got my levels set right.

Of course, the BMCC is not an event camera, and this was an extreme test to shoot in a very loud environment, but I was not expecting it to shut off the audio like it did. Hopefully this will help some of you if you run into a similar problem. I think it should be documented in the BMCC manual.
Dennis Nomer

adamroberts

Re: Audio and Power idiosyncracies

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 10:13 am

1: Not how my camera camera responds. Turning it off turns it of no matter what power supply is connected.

2: this was mentioned the the Juice Link video tut.
http://juicedlink.com/blog/2012/11/blackmagic/

Dennis Nomer

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 am

I have watched Robert Rozak's presentation on the BMCC audio issues a few times, and I am a fan of his preamp and his instruction. However, he does not mention that the camera will actually shut off the audio if it sees high levels of audio for several seconds. What it does is shift the level to line level input, when the signal level gets to a certain point. When that happens, your menus go away in the camera input level setting, and line is the only, enforced choice. Robert does not favor that, but I can live with that. But then if the signal is pretty high, even for line level, for several seconds, the camera just shuts off audio, and you are dead in terms of audio until you reboot. If my camera is the only camera that does this, I would be very interested to know that.

Thanks for the info on the power switching.
Dennis Nomer

Bill Rich

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 pm

I've experienced the same issue of turning off the camera and it turning right back on with it powered by the internal battery.. I figure this out after turning off the camera and putting it back in my camera bag.. then pulling it out to see the camera had turned itself back on. I tested the camera again and it repeated the problem.. it does shut off.. but it's almost in a 'restart' mode rather than 'shut off' mode.
not a huge issue once you know it does it.. just watch the camera for a sec after turning it off to make sure it doesn't turn back on.

now the audio automatically switching to line can be a real problem for those of us that shoot live concerts..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

metaljesus

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 am

Cameras that restart instead of turning off now? The list of issues with this camera is getting worrying.

Larry Sellers

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm

try watching the screen as you hold down the power button. as soon as you see it go blank, release the button. if you hold it down too long, it will power back up. at least that's what i have discovered.

Dennis Nomer

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 am

Cheezweezl, you are pretty smart! I just did a bit of testing, and what you say appears to be exactly true. I thought maybe it had to do with the voltage of the brick, or maybe the current status of the internal battery, or such. But I think you nailed it.

And yet, since this appears to be a firmware thing, I would hope BMD will code this idiosyncrasy out.
Dennis Nomer

nonlinearedits

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 3:27 am

Bill Rich wrote:I've experienced the same issue of turning off the camera and it turning right back on with it powered by the internal battery.. I figure this out after turning off the camera and putting it back in my camera bag.. then pulling it out to see the camera had turned itself back on. I tested the camera again and it repeated the problem.. it does shut off.. but it's almost in a 'restart' mode rather than 'shut off' mode.
not a huge issue once you know it does it.. just watch the camera for a sec after turning it off to make sure it doesn't turn back on.

now the audio automatically switching to line can be a real problem for those of us that shoot live concerts..

This is strange. I'm having the same issue, EXCEPT, mine is turning on randomly. Sometimes when I pull it out of the case only holding the sides, it turns on. I've even had it turn on while sitting on my desk when I've been on the other side of the room 2 or 3 times... I was thinking about returning it for another... It was actually on inside the shrink wrap of the box when I received it. I don't want it overheating and doing damage to the processor because it's randomly turning on inside the bag or case.

Stephen Mickelsen

PostMon May 06, 2013 2:46 am

cheezweezl wrote:try watching the screen as you hold down the power button. as soon as you see it go blank, release the button. if you hold it down too long, it will power back up. at least that's what i have discovered.

Thanks Cheezweezl! That's the trick for me.

Return to Cinematography