Slightly out of sync audio - ursa mini

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James_Westlake

Slightly out of sync audio - ursa mini

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 4:12 pm

I recently shot a wedding on the ursa mini, using a rode ntg3 shotgun for audio recorded in camera, just shooting 25fps HD prores 422. And in the ceremony, a 45 minute continuous clip, the audio gets by the end around 1 second out of sync. The audio ends up a tiny bit late, so has to be sped up by a tiny fraction of a percent. I was wondering if anyone knew why? and if there was an easy way to fix it (in this case, I'm not editing the video generally, and the couple want a continuous single shot for the whole ceremony, so no cutting and resyncing individual clips)?
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

John Brawley

Re: Slightly out of sync audio - ursa mini

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 3:04 am

James_Westlake wrote:I recently shot a wedding on the ursa mini, using a rode ntg3 shotgun for audio recorded in camera, just shooting 25fps HD prores 422. And in the ceremony, a 45 minute continuous clip, the audio gets by the end around 1 second out of sync. The audio ends up a tiny bit late, so has to be sped up by a tiny fraction of a percent. I was wondering if anyone knew why? and if there was an easy way to fix it (in this case, I'm not editing the video generally, and the couple want a continuous single shot for the whole ceremony, so no cutting and resyncing individual clips)?

This sounds a lot like what happens when you choose a frame rate that isn't set to "match" in the sensor frame rate.

I'm afraid if you select 25 FPS, even if it's a 25 FPS "project" then it will drift out of sync over time. You have to choose "match", not 25 FPS.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

James_Westlake

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 9:01 am

John Brawley wrote:
James_Westlake wrote:I recently shot a wedding on the ursa mini, using a rode ntg3 shotgun for audio recorded in camera, just shooting 25fps HD prores 422. And in the ceremony, a 45 minute continuous clip, the audio gets by the end around 1 second out of sync. The audio ends up a tiny bit late, so has to be sped up by a tiny fraction of a percent. I was wondering if anyone knew why? and if there was an easy way to fix it (in this case, I'm not editing the video generally, and the couple want a continuous single shot for the whole ceremony, so no cutting and resyncing individual clips)?

This sounds a lot like what happens when you choose a frame rate that isn't set to "match" in the sensor frame rate.

I'm afraid if you select 25 FPS, even if it's a 25 FPS "project" then it will drift out of sync over time. You have to choose "match", not 25 FPS.

JB

Thanks for your reply, I checked my settings and you're right, in this case I was set to 25 and 25, not match as I usually am. It was fixable slightly speeding up the audio anyway, and good to know it's avoidable!
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

Ric Toone

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am

I've had the same issue but have been able to correct by speeding up the clip in Premier to 100.04%. It's not perfect and I'm sure there is an optimal value to speed the clips up but this should at least give you a good starting point. If you land on the perfect % value to fix long footage, I'd be interested to see your suggestion here?

Thanks for the other comments too, I'll pay more attention to this next time!

Cheers, Ric

Ric Toone

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:39 am

Have just had a look at my settings, can't see an option for 'match'. The firmware is up to date, 4.9.
In my case I have been shooting at 25FPS, off speed is off. Can anyone suggest how I can ensure I don't experience this again please?

I'm clearly missing something!?

Cheers, Ric

martycg15

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 2:31 am

John Brawley wrote:

JB

Are you changing it to 'match' in the camera settings or the editing sequence settings? I'm having the same issue with one URSA mini, but it's out of sync before I bring it into Premiere... I can see that it's off just playing the file in QT.

wemrick1

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 3:18 am

Ok, I'm lost. I can't find the selection "match" in either Resolve or any of my BMD cameras. I don't have the mini G2 but I have BMPCC 4k and Ursa Mini 4k. Maybe your talking about editing in Premiere Pro? Seems I remember an option to "match" timeline if a non-matching segment of footage is being imported. Or maybe Final Cut which I know nothing about?

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 1:35 pm

wemrick1 wrote:Ok, I'm lost. I can't find the selection "match" in either Resolve or any of my BMD cameras. I don't have the mini G2 but I have BMPCC 4k and Ursa Mini 4k. Maybe your talking about editing in Premiere Pro? Seems I remember an option to "match" timeline if a non-matching segment of footage is being imported. Or maybe Final Cut which I know nothing about?

That was 6 years ago and a totally different firmware back then.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

wemrick1

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
wemrick1 wrote:Ok, I'm lost. I can't find the selection "match" in either Resolve or any of my BMD cameras. I don't have the mini G2 but I have BMPCC 4k and Ursa Mini 4k. Maybe your talking about editing in Premiere Pro? Seems I remember an option to "match" timeline if a non-matching segment of footage is being imported. Or maybe Final Cut which I know nothing about?

That was 6 years ago and a totally different firmware back then.

Lol, That's hilarious. Sorry bout that and thank you for bring me up to date. Every once in a while I'll have someone who wants a long ceremony captured and I didn't want to get blindsided with a audio problem although I have not had one to date.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 2:15 pm

wemrick1 wrote:Lol, That's hilarious. Sorry bout that and thank you for bring me up to date. Every once in a while I'll have someone who wants a long ceremony captured and I didn't want to get blindsided with a audio problem although I have not had one to date.

No problem. Just make sure not to use the HFR mode for that and your audio should stay sync.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

wemrick1

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
wemrick1 wrote:Lol, That's hilarious. Sorry bout that and thank you for bring me up to date. Every once in a while I'll have someone who wants a long ceremony captured and I didn't want to get blindsided with a audio problem although I have not had one to date.

No problem. Just make sure not to use the HFR mode for that and your audio should stay sync.

I get that. Even with that, if it is not too extreme, I can change tempo and use pitch correction along with a few other little tricks in Cubase or Wavelab to get something that can be distinguished even though it might sound like a disclaimer on the radio.

Return to Cinematography