URSA Mini 4.6K Amateur (affordable) rig

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris__Martin

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi all...

Im a leisure videographer, but am in love with the URSA Mini 4.6k.. I'm looking for some help to get some minimal rig/accessories for my leisurely filming of my kids and some landscape/city/ocean videos I put together...

I know many will think I should get another camera, but I've shot with the BMCC, and loved it, and want to crank it up a notch with the higher frame rates and resolution with the mini ursa...

I've got plenty of canon glass for the ef mount, but what are some affordable accessories that are must haves for me... I already know i need these dang expensive CTFast cards... Batteries? Variable ND Filters? shoulder/handheld rig for it (affordable, dont need a crazy gimble).. maybe viewfinder/external monitor....

Trying to keep the accessories contained to cheapest I can get... I don't need full fledged feature film requirements for this rig. Thanks for your help!

Chris__Martin

Re: URSA Mini 4.6K Amateur (affordable) rig

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 7:07 pm

bumping this post

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 pm

The Ursa Mini has its own shoulder/tripod rig. You get it with the Shoulder/handle mount accessory kit. You do not need a cage per se, as,the camera has many'of the accessories built in. You will need to add either the BM EVF or a Zacuto Gratical EVF (Zacuto will require an additional monitor holder). The BM EVF is great, costs less and designed to mount in the handle nicely.

Also you will need a bigger tripod that is rated for at least 35-45 lbs and an appropriate video fluid head rated for at least 25-35 lbs for proper operation. 15-mm Rods mount directly to the tripod release plate that is part of the shoulder kit. But you,will need a Sony VCT 14 tripod plate to go with it.

The camera uses either a Sony V mount or AB Gold mount type battery, BM sells a nice V-mount plate, and other third party options exist. Be careful choosing batteries, avoid inexpensive unknown source batteries, not all are created equal. Major brands like IDX, Sony, Anton Bauer, will provide the correct amp hour rate for the camera. There are some other theirs party excellent batteries available also. You will also need he correct battery charger designed for the battery you choose. AB batteries require their own AB charger. A used SinymV Mount charger will charge most V mount batteries, and are available used. The camera can Not charge the battery.

This covers the major bits. Good luck.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Carlos Hervas

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Chris, let me give my professional opinion. That camera is no good, everybody say so, the best thing you can do is sale it as soon as possible.
Here, let me give you my contact information so you do not need to put it on the open market and try to compete with all of those Ursa MIni 4.6k for sale currently.
Don't listen to Denny, he is always so informative and helpful. But why, ask yourself why? :twisted:
Carlos Hervas

Denny Smith

PostSat Aug 13, 2016 5:08 am

Carlos, su Diablo :!: :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Chris, if you are in love with in-camera recording of 12bit raw and every flavour of ProRes available from slow sensors mated with BMD could science, then it's very difficult to throw you a life saver before you are sucked in the vortex of professional gear to accompany it. The gear Denny mentioned is perhaps more than you can swallow in one pill. Spreading purchases over a few years will help but begin with the Mini, Shoulder Kit, BM Viewfinder because they can make your camera easier to use.

There are two ways you can possibly save your marriage by keeping costs down but they can effect how you shoot. One is the substitution of inexpensive lenses rather than investing $10K or more in professional lenses. Since you already have EF lenses, there's some hope for you. The second is substitution of all kinds of 'good enough' approaches rather than a truly professional approach. For example, minimal lights, practical lights, available lights instead of a truck load of lighting gear. Foregoing that 14' jib and that dolly and 15' of straight and curved track might be another. Making do with a good enough tripod that is far from ideal but will work for your needs. Matte boxes and follow focus may not be high on your priority list.

But just in case you are feeling comfortable with those compromises, there are some areas that you really can't compromise without a bag of hurt. For example, neutral density filters and UVIR cut filters and likely a polarizer. I don't know your lenses, but you may find you are well covered buying a screw-on variable ND but make sure it's larger than you think you need so you can stack your other filters.

Another area where you shouldn't go too cheap is the battery and battery plate. And the Sony VCT-14 quick release plate for your tripod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Bill Hall

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Based on what I read here and checking out the website, I am going to try the Shoot 35 CINE Pro follow focus unit. Hope I am making a good choice, the price is outstanding with the item on sale.
I shoot both Canon EF lenses and Cine Primes on an URSA MINI.

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I have this unit, and it is very nice, solid, precise followfocus. Enjoy.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris__Martin

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks guys... This is very helpful..

Bill Hall

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 12:15 am

Just a word of Thanks! I ordered the Soot 35 Cinefocus Pro. At about $ 200.00 US I had some concerns. Others cost much more.
I included an replacement white disc and 3 drive gears. The order arrived in 6 days / used their free shipping option.

I have to say I am truly impressed and very happy with the purchase. Well made excellent looking product, had to try it right away, really smooth with no free play or backlash.

Thanks for the recommendation! Great place to save some real money. :D

Demetrius Spencer

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 2:35 am

Bill Hall wrote:Just a word of Thanks! I ordered the Soot 35 Cinefocus Pro. At about $ 200.00 US I had some concerns. Others cost much more.
I included an replacement white disc and 3 drive gears. The order arrived in 6 days / used their free shipping option.

I have to say I am truly impressed and very happy with the purchase. Well made excellent looking product, had to try it right away, really smooth with no free play or backlash.

Thanks for the recommendation! Great place to save some real money. :D

Where did you get the Cinefocus Pro for $200? If you can share a link, i'd love to order one as well Thanks

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 5:07 am

Shoot 35 site shows them on sale for £250. eBay has them listed at $400+ with "make an offer, so try $200. Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bill Hall

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 6:37 pm

http://www.shoot35.com/category-s/1821.htm

Here is the website. I ordered based on recommendations of others on this forum.

On Sale 249 pounds sterling, worked out to about $ 200.00 with current exchange rate. Free shipping option worked out great.

:D

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Sorry, but 249£ is more like $325. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Bill, don't quit your day job to take up banking like all the other young rebels!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography