Calibrating laptop monitor for colour correction

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim DeLuca

Calibrating laptop monitor for colour correction

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 pm

I only have my macbook air for colour correction. I do have access to a 2k christie projector, but that's through work and wouldn't be able to use it all the time.

With that said, does anyone have any suggestions on getting the best brightness/contrast/colour calibration on a mac laptop? And should I start with the brightness set all the way up?

Thanks!

Jules Bushell

Re: Calibrating laptop monitor for colour correction

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 2:49 am

Hi Jim,

I calibrate all my monitors, including laptop screen, using a device and software called Spyder4Elite. This set-up takes me out of the equation of adding any subjectivity. The process starts by setting the monitor back to factory defaults and then it goes on from choosing colour temperatures, sensing the ambient lighting in the room your working from etc..

Another nice advantage is for multi-monitor set ups, you can drag across screens and get the same colour representations and from machine to machine.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

muchskywoker

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 am

BTW how meny times do you calibrate your monitor, like per weekend, month or year meaby? I thing i have to buy one of this spiders. What color space are you using Adobe RGB or SRGB?
i9 10980xe@5.0, 128GB, RTX-3090, Decklink mini monitor 4k,
media - RAID 0 4x samsung evo 970 plus 16TB, cache - samsung 960 pro 512GB, OS - samsung evo 970 256GB, archive 30TB+
Dali zensor 1 + Nad c315bee + dragonfly
Davinci Resolve 18.5, Windows 10

Jim DeLuca

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:Hi Jim,

I calibrate all my monitors, including laptop screen, using a device and software called Spyder4Elite. This set-up takes me out of the equation of adding any subjectivity. The process starts by setting the monitor back to factory defaults and then it goes on from choosing colour temperatures, sensing the ambient lighting in the room your working from etc..

Another nice advantage is for multi-monitor set ups, you can drag across screens and get the same colour representations and from machine to machine.

Jules

I was thinking of the sypder calibraters, but don't they calibrate the monitor to more emulate what images would look like printed?

Return to Cinematography