Lens with zoom, automatic and manual aperture capabilities

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nicole Mesier

Lens with zoom, automatic and manual aperture capabilities

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi,

Is there a list of lenses that are compatible with the Micro Cinema Camera?

I'm looking for a lens that has zoom capability, automatic aperture, as well as a manual aperture ring. I realize that Nikon lenses have both manual and automatic aperture -- is there a mount that also communicates between Nikon lenses and the micro cinema camera for automatic aperture capabilities?

Thanks for any help!

Denny Smith

Re: Lens with zoom, automatic and manual aperture capabiliti

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 5:05 pm

No, no Nikon auto adapters, that retain auto expouse, which is actually a mechanical interface than electronic on all but their newest lenses. The only lenses that will full auto Iris control are the MFT native lenses. The Cine type MFT lenses from SLR Magic and Veydra (they work with the Micro cameras) are all manual control, and the only ones besides Nikon, with manual Iris rings. On MFT auto lenses you can manually change the Iris with the arrow buttons on the camera, when camera is set to manual trigger for auto exposure menu. The Pany Leica lenses that have a Iris f/stop ring, like the 15mm lens, but the Iris ring only works on Panasonic cameras, not even on a Olympus, and not on any BM cameras. Thank you Panasonic for that!

There is no zoom control on the camera itself, but the small PZ MFT zooms from Panasonic and Olympus can be zoomed with a LANC remote zoom controller connected to the camera. However, these are very slow, non-constant f/stop lenses, that change the f/stop when you zoom (only Pany and Oly MFT cameras can compensate for this during a zoom to hold a given exposure. I have not tried this, but with Micro camera in auto Iris/shutter angle mode, it might keep a constant exposure during a zoom too.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography