Lanc Controllers

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bill Hall

Lanc Controllers

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Any recommendations on a controller, only looking for start / stop record to use on pan handle.

adamroberts

Re: Lanc Controllers

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 10:10 pm

I use an old (no longer available) LANC controller with my BMPC-4K, but this Pro-LANC start/stop controller is reported to work with Blackmagic cameras:
http://www.prolanc.com/products.html

-

Soeren Mueller

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 9:54 am

This one works great as well, using it on a gimbal and steadicam: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... witch.html

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 10:45 am

Those wireless controllers work great on all my BM cameras (BMCC/Pocket/Ursa)

I can even control the zoom.

http://digipin13.hr/digi/
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 1:38 pm

I'm looking for a focus controller for the BMMCC. The zoe-dvxl isn't available anymore from B&H, but some other outlets carry it. Is this the best bet? How about the Foxi-Dvx-hd? Would it work as well?

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 5:49 pm

The Zoe DV-XL can be picked up used in EBay and similar outlets. The "Focus" control only works on some native MFT Lenses and Canon EF lenses (when ipused with the BMPCC /EF speed booster by Metabones). I have the Zoe, and have tested it in several Panasonic lenses, some lenses work fine, but a few are very slow responding, and one did not work at all. It works with the newer lenses I have tested, and the best result was with the Lanny/Leica 42.5 Noct. lens. Others have had good results with with Panny 12-35 f/2.8 zoom also.

Also, there is a slight lag on the focus control, so,you have to release it at just the right moment to get the focus you want. Works fine for pre-pulling focus, where you can not access the camera/lens for a manual focus pull.

The Foxi DVX is a two controller setup for certain Panasonic cameras and will Not work. The Zoe is switched to Canon/Sony mode to work on the Micro and Pocket camera. The new Manfrotto LANC controller however, does work, and offers Iris control on some lenses too.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 7:06 pm

So the manfrotto is better?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Benjamin de Menil

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 1:00 am

Is there no chance to LANC controller with BMMCC can focus a lens that is attached with a metabones speedbooster? Specifically, I'm using an EF Sigma 18-35 and a Canon 17-55.

And how about EF lenses on a BMPC? Can a LANC focus them?

Denny Smith

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 2:32 am

If the EF lens is an "auto focus" lens then when used in either the Micro or Pocket camera with a Metabones EF/BMPCC speed booster, then the LANC can control focus (depending on the lens, not all lenses will work). The Sigma 18-35 EF version is reported to work with this combo, using the Manfrotto LANC controller recommended by BM.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Benjamin de Menil

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 am

So I got the manfrotto LANC controller. It works oK, but I don't seem to be able to change the focus speed - it's stuck on a very slow focus. Also, is there anyway to get it to control aperture?

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Focus speed is slow, and is depending again, on the lens being used. I do not think BM has mapped Iris control to the LANC, Panasonic has done this with a few of their video cameras with a special LANC controller, with an extra control knob, and it has two plugs, with separate Iris control plug, like the AF100 uses. BM has the Iris on the Micro cameras controlled via the S-Bus system which can be controlled remotely, or via CCU control on the Micro Studio camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Denny Smith wrote: BM has the Iris on the Micro cameras controlled via the S-Bus system which can be controlled remotely, or via CCU control on the Micro Studio camera.
Cheers

Should I be looking for an S-Bus controller then? Is there one that can control record, focus, and aperture?

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Interesting, so the second photo is an example of a $280 unit? The more expensive one adds what functionality apart from zoom? What would you recommend for use by a gimble operator?

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 11:08 am

Kim Janson wrote:The Photo is more like 350 euros. Depends how many potentiometers switches, buttons you want. Maybe I should make couple of standard version, but looking for what would be the best configurations and layouts for the buttons.

On the picture each button is connected to dedicated SBUS channel and they can be associated with the camera functions selecting the SBUS channel for that function from the camera menu.

The Joystick controller is a bit different. It is possible to control ISO, WB, SA and Zoom with joystick. There is 2 dedicated buttons at the side of the unit. Pressing button 1 and the joystick controls ISO/SA, pressing button 2 and it controls WB/Zoom. Pressing no button and it controls the gimbal .

There is also 2 potentiometer, I have set one controlling Aperture and the other Focus. They are just controlling SBUS channels and can be associated also for other camera or gimbal functionalities.

There is also 2 buttons with led to control gimbal functionalities, profile, 5 level joystick speed, 5 level follow speed, gimbal calibration etc. It connects to gimbal using the SBUS.

I have not put a recording button on that controller, but could. for me it is just convenient enough to use the camera recording button. One needs to monitor the recording indicator on monitor or camera anyway to see if it is recording or not. The current camera supported SBUS recording control is toggle type, i.e. works the same as the camera recording button.

Benjamin de Menil wrote:Interesting, so the second photo is an example of a $280 unit? The more expensive one adds what functionality apart from zoom? What would you recommend for use by a gimble operator?

Thanks. I'm going to study this when I'm back from the shoot. Looks like it could help with a lot of things

Benjamin de Menil

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Are there any new controllers available now? SBUS or LANC... that control aperture / focus/ start-stop ?

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 11:32 pm

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 am

Kim's new SBus controller, available in several versions, can, see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54174
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography