Kingston Hyper X Savage 480 gb - dropped frames

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GeranSimpson

Kingston Hyper X Savage 480 gb - dropped frames

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. I have dropped frames when recording RAW (and only RAW, ProRes is fine) on the Kingston Hyper X Savage SSD Drive. After about 3 seconds of recording I get the dropped frame icon and the camera really starts to act strange. It lags, freezes, doesn't respond to input etc. Shooting RAW on the Sandisk Extreme Pro has no problems.

Did I get a dud drive? It is listed as an approved RAW SSD drive by Blackmagic. I have noticed it has a little 10 with arrows around it on the back and the Sandisk has a 20.

If it simply isn't up to snuff I can put it into my rig, it's the same type of SSD I use in my PC.

Troy Turner

Re: Kingston Hyper X Savage 480 gb - dropped frames

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 8:40 pm

I haven't had any problems with mine.

I'm using the SHSS37A/480G

Use the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test to check it out. Might be a bad SSD.

AndrewNawrot

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 8:53 pm

I ran into the same issue with the same model. It's on the list for supported drives, but several test clips had dropped frames. I also have a Samsung 850 Pro that seems ok, so I'll probably just retain the HyperX. It was fairly inexpensive, perhaps that reflects the quality.

Mad Steex

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 am

I bought the Hyperx Savage 480 gb from Amazon and also I have the same drop frame, very annoyng so I've refunded and bought the Samsung 850 Pro version. Hyperx is very cool and built very well, all metal, I dont know why it doesn't work well with raw shooting.
I'm an analog player in a digital world!

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Mad Steex, it may be their internal data manager is tuned to perform better at other block sizes. I believe BMD video still has 128KB blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Mad Steex

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 6:55 am

rick.lang wrote:Mad Steex, it may be their internal data manager is tuned to perform better at other block sizes. I believe BMD video still has 128KB blocks.

I don't know but when I wanted to see what I recorded in raw inside the camera, the video remains freezed and only the audio I can listen that run as playback.

Nick Gombinsky

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 2:15 am

Mad Steex wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Mad Steex, it may be their internal data manager is tuned to perform better at other block sizes. I believe BMD video still has 128KB blocks.

I don't know but when I wanted to see what I recorded in raw inside the camera, the video remains freezed and only the audio I can listen that run as playback.

Thats what happens when you playback raw footage with dropped frames. Video stops playing when it reaches the first drop, the camera doesn't know the clip has more footage in it. It thinks its reached the end of the clip because there is no consecutive frame after that.

I have a couple of Sandisk Pro SSDs that are also approved but drop like mad after a few minutes. I just record prores.

Mad Steex

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Refunded the HyperX and got the Samsung Pro and works great with Raw. I prefer raw than ProRes cause I can play more with color correction

Return to Cinematography