BMCC Ef Mount Future

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Steve Lee Jean

BMCC Ef Mount Future

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 am

I apologize to those who don't really dwell on speculative issues but the hot thing on the MFT and Sony side of the world has been without question, the metabones speed booster. Granted the product is relatively new (though the technology isnt) it makes me wonder about the future of the EF BMCC.

If the Metabones MFT fixture proves to be as good as the Sony E Mount (and many believe the MFT version will perform BETTER) it effectively reduces the value of the EF version compared to an MFT (or active mft) version. Especially with the EF flange issue and infinity focus problems.

I wonder if the EF version will slowly be produced less and less with the MFT version being the flagship option. Which I certainly hope so. :D
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Larry Sellers

Re: BMCC Ef Mount Future

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

OR.....how about just make one camera with a proprietary bayonet that would accomodate multiple mounts that BMD would make. EF, M43, E-Mount, Nikon, PL!!!!

Drakuul

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Like Tamron did (in reverse) with their Adaptall system
Richard Roberts, I do stuff.

metaljesus

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 7:27 pm

You can't use EF lenses with a passive MTF mount. Unless you buy an expensive and powered adapter, which won't work with the speedbooster.

The vast majority of the market for this camera are Canon DSLR shooters.

Alex Tissot

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 pm

cheezweezl wrote:OR.....how about just make one camera with a proprietary bayonet that would accomodate multiple mounts that BMD would make. EF, M43, E-Mount, Nikon, PL!!!!

+1:-)))

NEED this clever solution!

I'm not sure to finaly buy the EF BMC with problem of infinty focus on lenses, wich I pre-ordered in April 2012!!!
R.I.P.
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

cheezweezl wrote:OR.....how about just make one camera with a proprietary bayonet that would accomodate multiple mounts that BMD would make. EF, M43, E-Mount, Nikon, PL!!!!

This would have been the best solution from the start, but I guess it would have added more production costs. I would have been fine with paying extra for the mount of choice though, if it means being able to switch mounts in the future. Definitely something to consider for the 2nd generation BMCC.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 pm

metaljesus wrote:You can't use EF lenses with a passive MTF mount. Unless you buy an expensive and powered adapter, which won't work with the speedbooster.

That's only because so many of those lenses are broken. They forgot the aperture control ring ;)

Seriously though, most of the modern SLR lenses aren't made for marketing to photographers, they're made for marketing to dilettantes. Most pro photographers want more control, not less.

The vast majority of the market for this camera are Canon DSLR shooters.

That was BMD's opening move. I think that once BMD catches up with the preorders and starts selling MFT versions, they'll start to dominate the indie film industry. I'm keen on the MFT version so that I can use my Minolta and Nikon manual lenses in addition to my Sony Zeiss lenses, and even some of the Angenieux lenses we have at school.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Steve Lee Jean

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 5:12 am

Like I said, you'd need an Active MFT to work with ELECTRONIC EF lenses.

However, what I meant to say (apologies if I misspoke) was that the EF MOUNT was not the future.

Yes, many people with canon glass were the DSLR converts that made the dive to BMCC, however, I, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, like to use ALL MANUAL control lenses.

I'm a huge fan of Leica R, Nikon ZF, and Zeiss ZF conversions to EF mounts. Sure you're wasting part of the metabones function, but you'd really want to use it for the focal reduction and the mount conversion.

Still excited though!
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Return to Cinematography