MFT vs. EF blues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JF Robichaud

MFT vs. EF blues

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

I preordered the EF BMC back in September. When the MFT version was announced, I stuck with my initial order, as I have quite a few EF lenses already. All these lenses have electronic-controlled aperture. Also, I have access to all kinds of EF lenses through my colleagues.

Yet, I am fully aware of the greater versatility of the MFT BMC. additionally the flange issues with the EF BMC and some lenses (like the Tokina 11-16mm, which I own) has me worried.

I am aware that the RedRock Live EF-MFT adapter would allow me to use my current EF lenses on the MFT BMC. However, I am worried about its build quality and until someone has tested it on the BMC, I am not so sure. I expect more of these live-aperture EF adapters to come out in the next few months though.

Also, I was planning to get some prime lenses anyway, so I'm tempted by the Rokinon Cine lenses. As they have manual aperture, a passive adapter would work on the MFT.

And then there is the announced MFT Metabones Speedbooster, which sounds almost too good to be true.

Any thoughts? Should I switch my order?

Steve Lee Jean

Re: MFT vs. EF blues

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 2:52 pm

If it makes you feel better, I actually cancelled my EF order for the MFT. I don't mind waiting. AT ALL. My GH3 will hold me over for now.The only way I'll cancel my MFT order is if they announce an Active MFT system that is the same/similar price.

The Metabones Speed Booster has everyone in an uproar (in a good way) on the MFT side, everyone's reviews are nothing short of what Metabones is promising (including Philip Bloom). Yeah it's a pricey investment at 500-600 USD, but still, can you imagine mounting Leica Summicron R-Series Primes at an APS-C crop factor with 1 stop faster speed? It's mind blowing what the combination will do. The mounting options are endless.

The flange distance on the EF issue had me seriously worried for infinity focus for some lenses. No doubt, that metabones are reporting some issues with certain lenses, but those issues appear to be with electronics and look fixable.

The BMCC just needs a proprietary and NLE friendly RAW codec, and it will be totally untouchable in this price range, even from the D Bolex D16 or the KineMINI.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

JF Robichaud

Re: MFT vs. EF blues

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

innerspark wrote:The Metabones Speed Booster has everyone in an uproar (in a good way) on the MFT side, everyone's reviews are nothing short of what Metabones is promising (including Philip Bloom).

The upcoming EF to MFT Speedbooster is very exciting indeed. However, on the MFT BMC, its usefulness will be limited to manual aperture EF lenses, unless Metabones adds an external way of controlling electronic aperture (like the RedRock adapter does). No way to control aperture on L-series lenses for instance, or on any other lens that I currently own :(

Return to Cinematography