Firmware Update Failed

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tassos Boulmetis

Firmware Update Failed

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 9:21 am

Hello everybody,
I just tred to do the latest firmware update and the Camera software recognised the camera and the update started. However at the middle of it, the message Camera update failed came out, and since then the software does not recognise the camera. Tried several USB cables, and several USB ports. Looks like the USB port does not working. Any ideas and suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Tassos

Adam Simmons

Re: FIRMWARE UPDATE FAILED

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 am

If it's not recognized then you need to contact your local BM support
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

robin_martin

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I am having a similar issue - failed in the middle of the initial install and now fails immediately each time I try. I can get the software to recognize the camera still. I'll be submitting a support ticket.

Additional details:
-I also tried uninstalling the Blackmagic Camera app using the uninstaller and re-installed firmware 4.0. Still no dice.
-I had installed both of the previous 4.0 betas and then rolled back to firmware 3.4 successfully several times.

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 12:26 am

Robin, did you run the uninstall program before you ran the install program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Anatoly Mashanov

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 3:41 am

1. Check the USB ports. At least some minimal bootable software should boot from every port you intend to use. Check the USB cables, your applicable devices should operate nominally.
2. Take a HDD and Windows installation medium.
3. Erase the HDD. One pass of zeroes is enough. Or at least reformat it during install.
4. Make a clean install of Windows from the said medium. From this point don't attach any writable medium to the computer. Official driver CDs are OK.
5. Download and install the BM utilities directly from Internet. Do not attempt to use the utilities downloaded to the flash.
6. Attach the external power source to the camera and fully charge the battery. Use UPS to power the computer.
7. And only then reflash the camera as prescribed in manual.
8. Use your Linux install to completely erase the Windows until the next reflash.
9. Ask BM to produce a bootable version of their utilities.

And a question to BM support: Is there an USB debug port that can totally reflash the camera without the need of some bootmanager, or there is a bootmanager that is preprogrammed and writes the rest?

robin_martin

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 am

rick.lang wrote:Robin, did you run the uninstall program before you ran the install program

Yes. BMD support is asking me to try on another machine. It seems like too many times rolling back and forth between the 3.4 software and the 4.0 betas may have messed something up.

Anatoly - I'm on a Mac using a USB cable that has worked fine for all previous firmware updates.

Omar Estrada

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi everybody!

Any updates about this issue?

I recently bought my Ursa Mini 4.6K PL mount in Toronto, where I live. This seems to be the only PL mount Ursa Mini available in the city ( I called the main video stores).

I've been two days trying to update the firmware to 4.0 but I have been unable to do it so far. I have tried in three different computers with 5 different usb to mini-usb cables:

Mac Mini Late 2014
Macbook Pro Mid 214
Mac Pro Late 2012

I've tried all ports available in these tree computers (10 ports, 6 of them usb 3.0) unsuccessfully. In some cases mac doesn't even detect the camera (only the mac mini shows Ursa Mini 4.6K in the system info and this, intermittently)

Is there a walk-around to fix this? Am I missing a driver or something? I've read every comment available online about this topic but haven't been lucky with the solutions provided so far.

I will be shooting on Nov 4th (12 days from today) and I'm very worried that the impossibility of updating the firmware of the camera affects my ability to shot properly. Are there any known issues with the quality of video that this update fixes? I've been reading about the 4.6k having a magenta cast and/or magenta-toned vignetting and I am very worried with this possibility.

Could someone here help me please?

Kind regards,
Omar

rick.lang

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Omar, have you uninstalled (deleted) the current software, presumably 3.4 firmware? That's the first step in the install of the new 4.0 update. If you haven't deleted it, then you still have 3.4 and you can shoot with that. But we can understand you want or need to have 4.0 firmware installed.

Do you have the Camera utility running on the computer and the URSA Mini camera turned ON, before you connect the USB cable? If not that might help recognize the camera.

It MAY not be necessary, but make sure you are not using a USB hub and that you are using a port on the computer that has nothing else sharing the computer USB controller. You can ensure that if you unplug all other USB devices. Just trying to think of things that may be affecting the quality and f the connection.

You MAY need to be on El Capitan or Sierra on your computer operating systems. If not, upgrade to Sierra. I find it quite good as it seems t be largely a tuneup of El Capitan.

If you still have problems today, get n touch with BMD Support and let them know your urgency. They may suggest a few things to you but you may need to expedite it to them if they can assure you it will be back before your shoot.

If you can survive without 4.0, do the shoot with 3.4 and send the camera back with a RMA.

What are the first four digits of your serial number? If the first two digits begin with 32xx, chances are you have a good camera. Magenta issues seem to be disappearing or becoming so minimal it may not affect your footage.

Rick Lang

Omar Estrada

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks a lot, Rick!

Will follow your advices and will get back with the result.

Saludos
omar

Omar Estrada

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:52 am

No luck :(

I updated the computers to Sierra OS, disconnected all usb peripherals, started Camera Setup utility, turned the ursa mini ON before connecting the camera to the computer, then ran the Setup and the update (4.0) failed again.

I then downloaded the previous update (3.4) to test it and tried everything again. This time the Camera Setup screen opened properly but as soon as I connected the usb, the message was "Version 3.3. Software is up to date". However, the update I was trying to install was 3.4, so I don´t get it. From this information I guess that the firmware of my camera is 3.3 but 3.4 considers the firmware to be updated? Confusing.

Yes my serial is a 32xx. Do you consider that I could shoot with this version? No mayor problems in terms of video, except for the fact that I won´t have the latest features activated by the updates?

I wonder if I should consider a different camera at this point. I wrote to Support and will keep trying.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Saludos

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:57 am

Latest release build for URSA Mini before 4.0 was Camera 3.3 so this is correct.

Camera 3.4 was an update for the Production Camera 4K so 3.3 was the most up to date version at that point.

We have had a few cases of people struggling to roll forward to 4.0 and in almost all cases rolling back to an earlier build such as 3.0 (on URSA Mini 4.6K) or 3.1 (on URSA Mini 4K) and then forward to 4.0 was successful.
Try this please and let us know how you go.

Omar Estrada

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 6:15 am

It worked!

Thanks a lot, Rick and Tim. I rolled back to 3.0 and then updated to 4.0 and this worked with no problems at all! Awesome new software, by the way!

Great forum. Thanks again (quite happy right now :))

Blake Law

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 8:25 pm

Reverting from public beta 4.0 back to 3.0 and then installing 4.0 release did the trick. It did take a minute for the camera to finally power on because I couldn't actually see anything showing me that the camera was powered on.

rick.lang

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks, Tim! I should have mentioned that technique of going back to 3.0 firmware as well. Glad to see that trick is working in these situations.

Rick Lang

robin_martin

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Neither the 3.0 or the 3.1 update worked for me. I get the same "Camera update failed" message.

I'm going to have to try with another machine that's never had the Camera Setup software on it and see if I get a different result.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Are you uninstalling before you install the new version of the utility?

If this is not working after trying that then please contact one of our support centres.

robin_martin

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Yes, I'm uninstalling first. I have an open support ticket going. :)

robin_martin

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 6:31 pm

I was finally able to get the 4.0 software to install by using a new machine that had never had the Camera Setup software on it. Yay!

I downgraded my camera to 3.1, uninstalled the software on the Mac, and then installed the 4.0 software and updated my camera.

Bill Hall

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 pm

I had some issues with the Beta version of 4.0 and just installed the new 4.0 just released.

I had no problems, I first removed the beta version and installed version 2.8, then updated to the new release of the full version 4.0.

The recommendation to return to version 2.8 came from a support call. Hope this helps someone.

Daithí de Sionúir

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi,
I just tried to install 4.0. Same thing installing update then stopped and now keeps saying update failed. I have firmware 3.3. Do i need to uninstall this through BM camera set up utility?

When i click on this 'Uninstall Camera' it says 'this will uninstall all BM software' it also has a red sign plastered across it.?

To roll back to earlier software is that the same as hitting this uninstall tab?

Any help in a very simplified explanation greatly appreciated.

rick.lang

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 7:18 pm

You uninstall first, then install the new version.

Rick Lang

Daithí de Sionúir

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:04 pm

rolled back to 2.8.... tried to install 4.0... same thing software failed. This camera is just out of the box..i wonder the thing was not pre installed....
Last edited by Daithí de Sionúir on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm

With your camera powered on and connected to computer via the USB cable connected to the Mini-USB connector above the CFast card slots, try using the standalone "Uninstall Cameras" app found in your "Blackmagic Cameras" folder.

Rick Lang

Daithí de Sionúir

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:36 pm

I just did that thanks... uninstalled from folder ... installed 2.8.... installed 4.0.... hit the update button.... software failed....

Daithí de Sionúir

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 8:16 pm

OK.... got it installed... and it is goooood, so far...... I rolled back to 3.0.... and 4.0 installed no problem...

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 9:54 pm

A challenging journey, but a happy ending!

Rick Lang

Georgi Vasilev

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 9:34 am

Hi guys,

UM4k here trying to update from 4.0 to 4.9. Camera is recognized by Blackmagic Camera Setup. The update process finishes to the end and then I get the message that update failed. Tried another USB port too. First time that I ever install the BM camera software on this machine (WIN 10). I saw your posts recommending to roll back or uninstall the current firmware but I don't know how to do that and also there is no such option in the camera software. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Xtreemtec

Re: Firmware Update Failed

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 3:44 pm

I have made a write up on how to downgrade a Atem mixer. But same applies to all other BMD hardware.

See FAQ > Point 1.06

Take into account that on the cameras and other battery powered devices you will need to apply external power to be safe.!! Worst thing that can happen is an empty battery in an update.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 pm

We have heard of a few rare cases where customers on one of our 4.0 Beta builds were not able to upgrade.

Rolling the camera back to 3.3 and then up to 4.9 should work.

agm014

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 am

Hi All, I wanted to reignite this just in case its a problem for other people.

I just bought an Ursa Mini Pro and it shipped with firmware 4.5
I tried to update the camera to the most recent FW as of this posting; 4.9
and it would get to 9% and it failed. The camera then didn't come back on or respond to the on/off toggle at all. I thought I had bricked the camera. But thankfully all I had to do was remove the battery and click it back into place and it powered up normally. The screen on the back side of the monitor was frozen so I guess thats why it wasn't responding. A hard reset was needed. Any way, after trial and error I finally was able to update the camera;

First I had to downgrade to version 4.4.

After that I upgraded with no problem to version 4.9. That's all it took. Cheers and hope this helps anybody with similar problems.!

Return to Cinematography