Power Button Warning / Feature Request

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GripworksCo

Power Button Warning / Feature Request

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I have found that when using a camera bag made for DSLRs the power button is very easy to hit when putting the camera away. Twice I have discovered my BMC hot with a drained battery straight out of the case. Even if you take care putting it in, the position of the button is such that even a slight bump to the side of the bag can turn it on.

The simplest solution would be to require holding the button down for one second to turn on. Is that something firmware can achieve?

Or a small hinged cover (like for the LAUNCH button in all the movies)

For the meantime I'm packing it upside down to keep the button more away from the wall of the bag.
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

Christian Schmeer

Re: Power Button Warning / Feature Request

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am

GripworksCo wrote:I have found that when using a camera bag made for DSLRs the power button is very easy to hit when putting the camera away. Twice I have discovered my BMC hot with a drained battery straight out of the case. Even if you take care putting it in, the position of the button is such that even a slight bump to the side of the bag can turn it on.

The simplest solution would be to require holding the button down for one second to turn on. Is that something firmware can achieve?

Or a small hinged cover (like for the LAUNCH button in all the movies)

For the meantime I'm packing it upside down to keep the button more away from the wall of the bag.

It would be great if you could choose the amount of seconds you have to hold the power button down in the menu. This way, it could be set to 5 or 10 seconds when you're transporting it and no delay when shooting.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

GripworksCo

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 am

Even better.
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

Keke Marc

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:43 am

This also happens to me a fair bit and I'm quite concerned about the camera running for two hours in a completely unventilated bag.

I was thinking that a back cover that clips in like the sun hood to protect both the LCD and the buttons would be great.

Marcel Beck

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 am

I've been using the Shape cage for the BMC for a while now and it actually prevents me from getting close to the buttons while handling (Which is great).

I personally love the fast boot response, it helped me so many times on a run and gun shoot.
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 am

A simple solution would be make a Accessory cover that snaps on like the hood, this way it can protect the screen as well.

Dennis Nomer

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 am

The way I store mine this is not an issue. Plus I like the fast boot a lot. So whatever is done, I hope it does not compromise the boot ease for those of us who don't want a delay.
Dennis Nomer

Return to Cinematography