Macbook won't see SSD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Ballew

Macbook won't see SSD

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:52 am

Just got my camera this morning and before I left to go to work I formatted the SSD to exfat on my desktop PC, shot a short RAW clip, and played around with it on my PC for a while before heading to the station.

For my work, I use a brand new Macbook Pro that I got about 3 months ago. There's nothing wrong with it.

However, when I plug my SSD into the USB 3.0 port on my Macbook it does not show up at all. Not even in Disc Utility. I am not sure why it wouldn't recognize it all. The SSD is a SanDisk Extreme 240gb.

Just wondering,... is there ever going to be a way to read the contents off the SSD while it's in the camera through a USB or Thunderbolt? That would be nice. :)
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

rick.lang

Re: Macbook won't see SSD

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 am

brad12d3 wrote:Just got my camera this morning and before I left to go to work I formatted the SSD to exfat on my desktop PC, shot a short RAW clip, and played around with it on my PC for a while before heading to the station.

For my work, I use a brand new Macbook Pro that I got about 3 months ago. There's nothing wrong with it.

However, when I plug my SSD into the USB 3.0 port on my Macbook it does not show up at all. Not even in Disc Utility. I am not sure why it wouldn't recognize it all. The SSD is a SanDisk Extreme 240gb.

Just wondering,... is there ever going to be a way to read the contents off the SSD while it's in the camera through a USB or Thunderbolt? That would be nice. :)

Which model of MacBook Pro and what did you use for a dock into which you inserted the SSD? Not sure if it will help, but did you try it in the USB3 port with nothing else plugged into a USB3 port ( just in case it is a problem getting enough power to the SSD dock)?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Brad Ballew

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 6:46 am

Thanks for the reply Rick. I think it might be the SSD adapter I was using. The tower I used for my PC has an external hard drive bay that you can insert and remove hard drives easily. I have been just pluggin in my SSD using this bay. However, when I tried using the SSD USB adapter, my PC couldn't read it.

I'll get another one tomorrow and see what happens. I was getting worried that something funky was going on with my SSD.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

adamroberts

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 am

Sounds like the adaptor is not getting enough power. Many come with a 2nd USB cable to add additional power.

Return to Cinematography