hopefully helpful rant for those frustrated

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Grayton

hopefully helpful rant for those frustrated

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 am

Hi all
I have been reading this forum for the last few months, growing impatient at news, I do not have one ordered but had decided as soon as they are available in stores I would buy one. Like many on here I found the elusive nature of explanations for delays frustrating, I wanted to know firm numbers and a expected date that they would be out of back order, regardless of if I deserved that info.
I had a small corporate gig a few days ago, usually on dslr, wanted to see a bmc so bad that I found a way to get my hands on one for the shoot and am here to report positive news for all who are as frustrated as I was. Once you get one in your hands and are shooting, once your back in the office and looking at a hd screen all that anger and frustration will melt away and as fan boy as it sounds, it will be replaced with gratitude towards Blackmagic, thankful that something exist in the market better than dslr but not as expensive as the next step up. I came across the infinity focus issue, I also found the crop factor to be difficult at times, I found the menus to be far too basics and would like a advanced menu for those that may want to tweak options. But what I also found is an awesome camera that once I was shooting with it reminded me why I love cameras. So anyone down there at Blackmagic thanks for making it, and hurry up please so I can buy one. Here is a link to some of the footage I shot on the weekend, just playing with the camera, not saying its amazing stuff but I enjoyed shooting it for sure.

Cheers
Grayton

any chance that they will be in stores by June worse case scenario?

Rakesh Malik

Re: hopefully helpful rant for those frustrated

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 am

Grayton wrote:any chance that they will be in stores by June worse case scenario?

My guess is that it won't be in stores in June, because I suspect that once the MFT version starts shipping it's going to start going like hotcakes. With any luck, the MFT model will start shipping in a month or so, which will open up its market to a wider audience by opening it up to the non-Canon user market. The people getting the Canon models will be getting over the WOW factor by then and starting to work with it instead of just testing it, and the only thing out there that's in a position to dampen the enthusiasm for this little guy is the Digital Bolex. While I'm optimistic about the Bolex being a great camera, I'm skeptical about it shipping in volume before the indie film market goes completely digi-bonkers thanks to BMD.

Me... I'm champing at the bit doubly right now, because my Nex-7 is en route back to me from Sony repair, AND I'm in line for an MFT BMCC, so I'm stuck waiting for my current cinematic tool in addition.

:shock:

At least I'll have a shoulder rig & follow focus device (finally) to tool around with while biding my time and waiting for my BMCC to arrive, but as I mentioned on the shoulder rig thread, my tiny Nex-7 is going to look pretty funny stuck in a Shape cage for the BMCC :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: hopefully helpful rant for those frustrated

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 5:13 am

Hi Grayton: In general, the sooner you get your name on a pre-order list, the sooner you'll receive a camera. Depending on the dealer, you may be able to place a no-deposit pre-order for a BMCC. I'd recommend doing so as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Return to Cinematography