Got a body but no lenses... need advice

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MCShooter

Got a body but no lenses... need advice

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 am

I'm excited to have finally gotten the BMCC! I guess 'luckly' since I've previously shot with mostly HDV cameras I do not have any lenses yet so I have the ability to pick my weapons from scratch.

I'll be shooting 50% in sunny conditions outdoors and 50% in bright daylight balanced indoor locations. The composition contains wide/ultra wide angles, general portraits and landscapes as well as some macro close ups. I am aiming for 2-3 good quality lenses.

I've narrowed it down to the following options but would like settle on lens in each category.

General Work Horse Lens
Canon - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Zoom
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG
Macro
Sigma 105mm f/2.8
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro
Rokinon 85mm ??
Ultra Wide Angle
Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom

Would a fish eye lens such as the Rokinon 8mm work on the full frame of the BMCC or would the Sigma 8-16mm already be sufficient?
Based on my research IS isn't working yet with the BMCC so it would be nice to have down the line but doesn't apply initially.

Appreciate your thoughts.

MC

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Got a body but no lenses... need advice

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 am

The BMCC-EF supports lens IS since firmware v.1.1

If you want a fisheye (distorted) look, then buy a fisheye lens.

The Sigma 8-16mm is a rectilinear lens. It's not a fisheye.

You might consider renting a lens before deciding whether to buy it or not. Companies such as lensrentals.com and others and can help you with that.

Cheers.

emdy

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 pm

I have everything else you can think of, including Zeiss lenses 28mm, 35mm, 85mm, 100mm. Also have wooden Camera premium shoulder rig with Cage, an Ikan monitor, Matte box and FF, the list continues.

I DON'T have a Camera !!!! Maybe you can give me yours :)
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca
https://www.facebook.com/EquaStudios

MCShooter

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Peter, thanks for the IS tips. I'm leaning toward the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Zoom for the work horse. I am new to DSLR lenses as I shot amateurishly only on fixed lens video cameras before.

As far as I could read in my research, fish eye lenses don't work too well on this camera because of the crop factor on the full frame? Any fish eye suggestions that won't clip the corners and will still be very sharp? Don't need them too fast as only shooting daytime, full daylight and with several KinoFlos.

Emdy, very kind but no trade :)
Last edited by MCShooter on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamroberts

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 pm

You would probably be better off with the 17-55mm f2.8 as it includes IS and is a better working range on the BMCC than the 24-70mm.

MCShooter

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:01 pm

adamroberts wrote:You would probably be better off with the 17-55mm f2.8 as it includes IS and is a better working range on the BMCC than the 24-70mm.

Yes, correct! That's what I meant, just wrong copy and paste. Fixed.

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Why would you waste your money on a fish-eye? The distortion will still be there on the BMC-crop and you can always bend your image in postproduction to make it look like a fish-eye.
Just my 2c. I can't think of anything I would have needed a fish-eye for and from your descriptions you might not need one either (as e.g. you didn't tell about the low light ability as you were going to shoot in clubs and that to my eyes very rapidly exhausting and boring fish-eye-look might be suited, as no one really wants to look at drunk and silly smiling folks anyway for more than a second).

Saying that I bought the Sigma 8-16 to have a 19mm-wideangle on the BMC - once she arrives.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

sean mclennan

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:15 pm

adamroberts wrote:You would probably be better off with the 17-55mm f2.8 as it includes IS and is a better working range on the BMCC than the 24-70mm.

EXACTLY THIS^^^

Cabraswel

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 4:48 am

Adamroberts has beautiful images with the Tokina 11-16 Nikon mount with the Novaflex G to EF.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4083

Apparently the Nikon version is not a problem. The Novaflex gives you a manual control for the apature.

Nick Bedford

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 6:40 am

I shot an entire music video (just as DoP) on my BMCC + 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM combo and shoulder rig if that's any indication of a barebones kit.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Michael Sandiford

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 am

Go for the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC, this has been my workhorse for the last few year and I love it.

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 pm

I rented a Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS lens for my last project and while the image quality is pretty good, I was quite disappointed by how plasticy it is. Canon should really make their EF-S range a little tougher, maybe not "L" series tough, but definitely a little more solid than they are now...
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Sean

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 6:08 pm

gmf wrote:I can't think of anything I would have needed a fish-eye for

You aren't going to be shooting your friends skate?!? :lol:
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

adamroberts

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:I rented a Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS lens for my last project and while the image quality is pretty good, I was quite disappointed by how plasticy it is. Canon should really make their EF-S range a little tougher, maybe not "L" series tough, but definitely a little more solid than they are now...

Yeah. Sadly they do feel cheap. The Nikon version of the same lens has a metal body and feels much more robust.

Return to Cinematography