Dead BMCC 2.5K?!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Milen Mladenov

Dead BMCC 2.5K?!

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi guys,
It's been more than a year since my BMCC suffered from what appears to me as dead sensor pixels. It all happened during the filming of a concert. The problem appeared also to one of my pocket cameras, but fortunately for me it was still in warranty and the guys from the support team replaced it with a new one. Basically they said that they don't treat sensor issues. I have heard about pixel remapping using software? Does anyone of you know something about that process? Is it possible for the BMCC? Also I am thinking if someone has a faulty camera but with working sensor to try and replace it or something like that? There is not much to loose here. Please share your thoughts.

Cheers,
Milen

Earl R. Thurston

Re: Dead BMCC 2.5K?!

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Question: Did they use any lasers in the concert lightshow? Your problem looks suspiciously similar to what happened to this camera (a RED Epic):

https://fstoppers.com/news/lasers-take-down-20000-camera-less-one-second-2700
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Milen Mladenov

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Earl R. Thurston wrote:Question: Did they use any lasers in the concert lightshow? Your problem looks suspiciously similar to what happened to this camera (a RED Epic):

https://fstoppers.com/news/lasers-take-down-20000-camera-less-one-second-2700

Yes, bro exactly! I knew the risk, but decided to shoot anyways and... How did you manage to solve the issue? Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Milen

Earl R. Thurston

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Milen Mladenov wrote:
Earl R. Thurston wrote:How did you manage to solve the issue?

When you mentioned "concert," I had remembered seeing the video of the RED Epic a few months ago. Then when I looked at your video and saw that everything was centered around the same general point (where the lines overlap), it seemed to add up as something "zapping" the sensor at the same general location.

I also have a passion for understanding how the technology works at the lowest level (I'm a bit nerdy that way :D). Essentially, the laser has burned through a row circuit and part of at least two column circuits (the lines) and destroyed several photosites at the pink dots. There's no way to recover from this. Dead pixel mapping works by borrowing the data from a nearby working pixel, and there are too many affected pixels to do that here.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Milen Mladenov

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 9:53 am

Earl R. Thurston wrote:
Milen Mladenov wrote:
Earl R. Thurston wrote:How did you manage to solve the issue?

When you mentioned "concert," I had remembered seeing the video of the RED Epic a few months ago. Then when I looked at your video and saw that everything was centered around the same general point (where the lines overlap), it seemed to add up as something "zapping" the sensor at the same general location.

I also have a passion for understanding how the technology works at the lowest level (I'm a bit nerdy that way :D). Essentially, the laser has burned through a row circuit and part of at least two column circuits (the lines) and destroyed several photosites at the pink dots. There's no way to recover from this. Dead pixel mapping works by borrowing the data from a nearby working pixel, and there are too many affected pixels to do that here.

Oh, I thought that the Epic was yours, but thankfully it's not. :) Hmm, bad news. Really bad news. Someone with a faulty camera and working sensor??? So far no luck with my search on the net.

Cheers,
Milen

Return to Cinematography