Ursa Mini 4.6K - Corrupted files, unreadable

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Moore

Re: Ursa Mini 4.6K - Corrupted files, unreadable

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Denny Smith wrote:Guys, a diesel train is powered by electricity! The Diesel engine runs a very large generator, which in turn powers all of the train's systems, including the electrical traction motors that make the train go. This is a high voltage system, so pleanty if room for electrical interference.
Cheers

Denny, if the electrical interference is the problem then why just some RAW movie are compromise and another not? Why when i shooting UHD 422 i dont have any issue?

Robert Niessner

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 am

Michael, I have already explained that to you:

"Writing an UHD 422 ProRes serial stream is certainly less demanding on the controller hardware and the Cfast2.0 cards then writing small RAW DNG single files."

That is also the reason why copying DNG files is much slower than copying ProRes files from the cards.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

Had a Folder with raw files, that refused to be opened or copied (tried Win and Mac) from the card last week.

I used the free "Recuva" to rescue all the material, worked like a charm.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Michael Moore

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 12:13 pm

In my situation i have many DNG missing. For example in folder 01 is missing DNG nr. 124, nr. 203, in folder 09 is missing DNG nr. 111, in folder 17 is missing DNG nr. 143, nr.189. I dont know if this is happand because i must to give "windows fix and scan" to can copy/paste from cfast to HDD. I has tryed with Lexar Image Rescue but dont find the missing DNG. I has tryed also to mac laptop with Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy one at one but same results.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Ah, for the days of the old steam engines. Not a single reported instance of difficulties running BMD cameras!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Rick, A Steam Engine -- too true! :lol:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Moore

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Rick, A Steam Engine -- too true! :lol:
Cheers

Denny, its not funny, i lose money! I doubt that Blackmagic cover up my budged spent for this 2 day shooting.What kind a cinema camera is ursa mini 4K if cant shooting RAW in a train? The big reason when i choose this camera and not another one was this RAW capability.But i dont know that ursa mini make black magic (dark magic) in a train...

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Apologies, Michael. I agree your situation is serious, but I just wanted to interject a moment of levity. May have been inappropriate.

Rick Lang

James Harkness

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 1:37 am

Just to chime in, I am having problems with my memory card port 1 recording 24 fps RAW uncompressed. Memory card port 2 does not drop any frames, only when choosing to use memory card port 1 am I experiences a sequence of 2 frames dropped and then it will keep recording, which happened twice in a 40 second long clip. I have it set to stop recording if frames are dropped as well, and it doesn't stop recording. I have made another post about it here if anyone is interested. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55305

Garth McElroy

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Ignacio Carrere wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Ignacio, were the cards formatted in exFAT? Was the Mini on release 4.2 of the firmware? Did the clips playback in camera?

Hi Rick, back home I can explain it more precisely. Yes they were formatted in exFAT, with 4.2 firmware. The clips playback in camera well.

All corrupted clips are 2K Raw 4:1 120 fps

Now when I´ve inserted the card in the CFast reader a messagge from Windows 10 saying there is a problem with some files and if I want to fix it.

Corrupted clips are 6 between 48 (the rest are 4.6k 25fps except 3 2K 120 fps wich are fine. Corrupted clips are all 2K 120 fps). After some attempts now I can read three of the clips in the computer. They are no complet indeed, in Davinci Resolve those three clips appairs as folders with some subclips and an audio file inside. I've tried CHKDSK /R and /F.

I had this exact issue today. I was shooting 4.6k Raw 3:1 and then switched to 2k 120fps for some slow motion shots then went back to 4.6k. When I got home I was reviewing the shots on the camera and was freaking out because half my shots were missing. I mounted the drive to the pc and could see all the 2k files were corrupt. Ran the windows drive fix and all is good. I hope they post a firmware fix for this. Not being able to review shots or even knowing if they're there is not cool. I'm running 4.2 firmware.

Denny Smith

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Michael, I was not laughing at you or your situation. I was having a funny with Rick. :roll:
My apologies to you also. I hope,you got your shoot and the problem fixed. As seen from some recent posts, you are not alone with this problem.
Cheers

Michael Moore wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Rick, A Steam Engine -- too true! :lol:
Cheers

Denny, its not funny, i lose money! I doubt that Blackmagic cover up my budged spent for this 2 day shooting.What kind a cinema camera is ursa mini 4K if cant shooting RAW in a train? The big reason when i choose this camera and not another one was this RAW capability.But i dont know that ursa mini make black magic (dark magic) in a train...
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Garth McElroy

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 5:31 pm

I've been talking with BM support about this corruption issue the last couple days and was able to help the tech recreate corrupted files with one of their cameras. He told me that they were aware of the issue but they were lacking hard evidence to help pinpoint the problem. Guess they have evidence now! Hopefully this helps them figure out what's going on since they were able to replicate the problem. Obviously no word on when a fix will happen but at least we know that it SHOULD be worked on and fixed. It's definitely not a good thing to be happening and I they fix it quickly.

Paul Kunad

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 am

Awesome. URSA Mini 4K, RAW.
Had a difficult (=expensive) shoot today. 4 out of 12 folders are corrupted.
That really, really hurts.

Garth McElroy

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:53 pm

I talked to BM again today and was told they are working on a fix "as we speak". I hope so. It seems that changing from 4.6k to just about any other resolution or frame rate causes the files to become corrupt. Hope a fix is released ASAP. It's definitely unnerving to see clips dissappear from the camera!

Robert Niessner

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 am

I have encountered the issue of a file system defect reported by Windows on one CFast card. It seems to happen when changing the project vs off speed frame rate.
I first shot accidentally some tests on a slider with 25 fps -> 60fps. Then changed to 60fps -> 25fps. After inserting the card into the reader I got the Windows warning that the file system needs a repair.
It was not possible to delete files from the card before the repair was done.
Anyway, no loss of files.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Michael Moore

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 am

Paul Kunad wrote:Awesome. URSA Mini 4K, RAW.
Had a difficult (=expensive) shoot today. 4 out of 12 folders are corrupted.
That really, really hurts.

Hi Paul! Try to use "Clone Tool" from Davinci Resolve. In my case work fine.I hope this can help you too.

Emilian Dechev

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 5:01 pm

I did a shoot today with the UM4.6K with the latest camera update 4.3.1

We did different resolutions and different framerates on RAW 4:1
(normal speed at 25fps + off speed at 100fps)

The issue of the corrupted folders is still present. At windows 10 and windows 7 - confirmed.

The "scan and fix" function is working nicely, so no files were lost. But Windows needs about 15-20 minutes to "repair" the currupted folders. That is a lot of time on set to loose on unnecessary data management.

So, thumbs up for a fix.

Emilian Dechev

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Yet another shoot - all cards were unreadable and needed fixing. Yes, windows fixed them. But much time was lost on set.

UM 4.6k, RAW 4:1 @ 2K 16:9

Winsows 10

Sorry for bumping an old thread, just need someone from BM to confirm the issue. Thanks :)

Garth McElroy

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Yup, issue is still there. Really annoying I'm sure BM has put this issue low on the priority list while they deal with the Pro issues.

Emilian Dechev

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 11:22 pm

Yet another shoot - Lexar x3600 256GB cards were unreadable and needed fixing.
Yes, windows fixed them. But much time was lost on set.
About 1 hour was needed for Windows to fix a full 256GB card.

UM 4.6k, RAW 4:1 @ 2K 16:9

Winsows 10

Copy-paste bumping an old thread, because this problem is causing a trouble on set. And that continues to bother our crew.

Just need someone from BM to comment on the issue. Thanks.

Anyone with UM Pro, that had the same issue?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 pm

If you are using a Lexar CR1/2 reader, make sure you unmount the card fully from your computer before removing it from the reader. We have found if you don't it will cause issues like this.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm

CaptainHook wrote:If you are using a Lexar CR1/2 reader, make sure you unmount the card fully from your computer before removing it from the reader. We have found if you don't it will cause issues like this.

Hook, would you say the best way to drop footage off the CFast 2.0 Cards would be to use Resolve and the Clone Tool? Then Unmount the Card from inside Resolve when it's done? That's my preferred method and it has worked well for me.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Thomas Koveleskie

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I recently had a very similar issue with the Ursa 4K. I shot RAW and then switched over to RAW 3:1 for comparison and upon transferring them to my editing computer, Resolve media browser wouldn't recognize some of the 3:1 clips and the couple it did were corrupted and unusable. They had apparently dropped frames galore. This only happened when switching from RAW to 3:1 in the same session. RAW and 3:1 only and separate is fine.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 Build 10
MSI B550, Ryzen 7 3700X, GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000, NVIDIA GeForce RTX3060 12GB, Win 10 X64, Sys Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD, Resolve Media: Inland Platinum NVMe M.2 2TB, Storage: Toshiba internal 5TB SATA

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 pm

It may not be necessary, but on a client shoot, I stick with the same codec throughout for consistency such as all raw 3:1 or all ProRes 444 Film. I can vary sensor frame rate, occasionally, but haven't varied resolutions either in a shoot.

No recording problems other than the issue that firmware 4.3.x no longer allows me to shoot at 4.6K 60 fps (48/50 okay). After the wedding shoot August 12th, I'll ship the cards back for a firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Fabián Aguirre

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 5:51 am

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I went through something similar (except with ProRes) and I was able to recover, after hours of trying, all my files-- perhaps this will help others.

We were on location yesterday filming an interview, as we so often do, with our UM46 in ProRes HQ UHD. I had read this thread in the past so I usually try not to let files roll onto the second card (even though I've done it in the past without problems), but I missed it this time, and the interview went over. I was using a Lexar Professional 3600x in slot A and a Lexar Professional 3400x in slot B. The UM46K is on the latest firmware.

We wrapped, packed up, and proceeded to transfer content using a Lexar CFast USB reader (I had left my Thunderbolt reader at home this time). The first card was transferred, as usual, and verified using ShotPut Pro. I ejected the card and inserted the second card. This time, the card did not mount and I received the heart-stopping dialogue stating the card was unreadable and to initialize, ignore or eject.

I ejected thinking it might be the reader, and reinserted. Same message. I then tried it inside the camera, but no files were playable and, in fact, the camera showed me a "format" button. I knew I was in trouble.

I waited to get home before trying the Thunderbolt reader and a new cable, restarting in Safe Mode, and subsequently re-reading the many threads and articles on unmountable CFast cards online.

Fortunately, I had a second camera (a BMMCC) recording the closeup, so it wasn't the end of the world. Still, the UM46 angle was my preferred composition, and I just love the image so much more.

I tried Data Rescue, Drive Genius, and even Lexar's now-discontinued Image Rescue 5, all to no avail. This process took almost 6 hours, and each program returned three .mov files (the only three I knew were present in the card as I stopped recording a couple times), but each of the files were a mere -1Mb in size.

The next morning, today, I continued the second day of the shoot (without the problematic card), and came home tonight with the intention of formatting it and accepting defeat. But before that, I decided to scour the internet once more, until I somehow came across an app called Disk Drill, from CleverFiles.

I read through the always-promising specifications and downloaded the free version of the program. What took about 2 hours for Data Rescue to accomplish (or not accomplish), took Disk Drill 15 minutes. Using its "run all recovery methods" option, the app was able to recognize the card, its partition, and the 215GB worth of files, in about 15 minutes. Recovery required one click, about another half an hour (and the purchase of the Pro version), but it was more than justified for me.

It is unclear whether my problem stemmed from recording spilling onto the second card, due to the USB reader, or the card itself. For the moment, I'm going to avoid use of all three until I can test it extensively, and try to record a simultaneous backup to my Atomos Shogun or my BM Video Assist.

Cheers,

Fabián
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Great endorsement for Disk Drill, Fabián. Thanks.

Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography