Short Movie - Hello Imagination

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Hello Frank

Short Movie - Hello Imagination

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 am

This has been shot two weeks ago, but we only found the time to finish it up this weekend. We've learned a lot by doing this, and hope we'll continue to find new ways to put this amazing camera to work!

http://hellofrank.com/presents-hello-imagination/

"Hello Imagination" follows a young woman who is discovering objects around her in a trendy coffee shop. She talks to each object she finds intriguing, until ... well you'll have to find out for yourself

Shot on location at the beautiful "Le Jardin Bohémien" in Ghent, this was apparently the first short movie shot on a Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera in Belgium - it was certainly one of the funniest projects we worked on.

Over at BMCUser some questions were asked - and I'll include them as well here:

* The graphics were done in After Effects
* We converted the RAW footage to Cineform first, as we wanted to see if this workflow matched better with our current workflow - and it does, working with Cineform speeds up the process quite a bit, but it feels like we're back to the 5D/7D days of converting footage before being able to use it.
* This camera eats SSD's and backup space - I can't imagine the work involved using the CinemaDNG format for a feature length movie.
* We had some weird problems with the camera - the SSD's became very hot while shooting for 2 hours, and then suddenly the record function would shut off as well. Starting recording would make it run for one second and it would shut off again. Changing SSD's didn't work. Rebooting the camera worked, so that was a bit weird.
* Our Tokina Canon mount didn't focus to infinity - we didn't try the modification yet.

It's a great camera for anyone who loves to get the bare minimum of comfort and make the most out of it, so lots of indie productions will feel right at home with this camera. We didn't use ProRes yet, but will soon - so I imagine this camera will be perfect for TV productions as well.

rick.lang

Re: Short Movie - Hello Imagination

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Hello Frank wrote:This has been shot two weeks ago, but we only found the time to finish it up this weekend. We've learned a lot by doing this, and hope we'll continue to find new ways to put this amazing camera to work!

http://hellofrank.com/presents-hello-imagination/

"Hello Imagination" follows a young woman who is discovering objects around her in a trendy coffee shop. She talks to each object she finds intriguing, until ... well you'll have to find out for yourself

Any chance you can post a version that does not require Flash Player to view on an iPad? Although if necessary I am certainly willing to view this on the iMac that supports Flash, but the iPad's excellent screen is my screen of choice for viewing graphics. Thanks and no worries if you can't go Flash free.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

adamroberts

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Cute story.

Some shots have some odd colour banding going on in the skin (simlare to how the Sony FS100 deals with highlights). Might be the Flash player compression.

As for shooting RAW vs ProRes. RAW is great when you need that extra headroom but the images coming from ProRes Film Log mode are really good. For longer feature work this would be my goto format.

Most of the stuff shot on the Arri Alexi is done in ProRes with Arri Log C.

Bill Rich

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 am

What a fun film! I really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing it! The ProRes film log is really great!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

adamroberts

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 am

Bill Rich wrote:The ProRes film log is really great!

+1

I think with the RAW capabilities of the camera ProRes Film Log mode has been a little overlooked. Having had my camera for a few months now I can see it becoming the main format for most jobs.

sean mclennan

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 am

That was a cute piece. Effective.

For the camera refusing to record...could it have overheated?

Brett G

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 5:10 am

sean mclennan wrote:For the camera refusing to record...could it have overheated?

I ran into this issue today as well. I was shooting RAW 24fps with a crucial m4 512. I had only been shooting for about 3 minutes of footage and had the camera on maybe 10 minutes. I thought maybe I had ran out of space because I hadn't wiped the card before I shot (I was shooting some tests at home). Powered down and took the SSD out and plugged it into my computer where I found I had plenty of space left. Plugged the drive back in the camera, powered on, and had no more issues. Not really sure of the cause but it seems powered down and back on solved it for me as well.

Brett

Robert RED

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm

"Hello Frank"

very cue.... I like the idea behind the film.

RED
Every Day is a drop of Life
Email: red@robertred.ch
Facebook: facebook.com/followRobertRED
Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/robertred
BMDCC Channel: Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/bmdcc

Return to Cinematography