No SSD - Error

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JackEzra

No SSD - Error

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 am

Came across a rather large issue using a 512gb "Crucial" SSD with the BMCC.

Yesterday we had a successful morning shooting on a functioning 256gb SSD.

In the afternoon we had shot roughly 150gbs of RAW 2.5k on the 512gb drive, reviewing as we went. We moved the camera to a new location, turn it back on, and the camera refused to register the SSD.

We connected it into the Macbook Pro through eSata-usb3, it could see the SSD in Disk Utility, but it refused to mount it, it was and is grayed out. We did a disk image, which hung after 3 hours. We did a Unix copy and it ran up to 300gbs - 12hrs in the Unix copy's file size was 0. 24hrs later and we are still failing to access any of the RAWs on that SSD.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any information on this would be awesome.
Thanks!

Marcel Beck

Re: No SSD - Error

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 am

Hello Jack,

One error I had was early on when I pulled out the SSD and connected it to my iMac via a dock. After copying the files I shot on the day I removed (did not eject) and put it back in the BMC, which then presented a NO SSD warning. I'm not used to working with SSD, so I contacted the dealer and he then told me to eject and power down the dock before removing it from the Mac, (Basically the same as you would with a USB.)

Another error was when I turned on and off the BMC, it also couldn't register the SSD. But that was fixed after I powdered down and left it for 5 minutes and rebooted. If this happens to you on set, make sure you got your DIT on standby with the dock where you can plug it in and do a "safe eject".

Why the SSD couldn't get recognised after your moved location is a mystery to me.

Cheers
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Return to Cinematography