Problems with the URSA 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mark Hofmann

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 8:48 am

Hi Fellow Filmmakers,

i recently bought a used URSA 4K wich seems to work just fine. But i have experienced a few things i can find no answer for, maybe one of you guys knows about this:

1. Sometimes, and only sometimes, when i shoot a clip in RAW, my adobe CC says the files is corrupted or unsupported. No Adobe program (AE, PP, PSD) then opens the file, eventhough Resolve opens the file just fine. With the files that do work fine in CC, i can open single Images in Apple preview. But the files that do not work in CC i can open in Apple preview but the images appear to be straight black. But again, they open fine in Resolve and the images are in facto NOT black they do contain images. I have did several tests and i couldn´ find a pattern behind this behaviour. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The only thing i noticed it mostly happens with RAW 3:1 eventhough that hast worked a few times as well... no clue...

2. The URSA 4K creates a lot of FPN. Eventhough it´s been said it wouldn´t appear when set to ASA200 i realized it still does. Any chance this ends when upgrading to the 4.6K Sensor?? Did anyone do the upgrade yet and has any experiences to pass on?

3. the last problem i have is with the meta data. I tried to read out the meta data i have typed into the camera. But i can´ find them anywhere in premiere CC. I thought this was a useful tool, but since i don´t see anything of this im my editing suite it seems kinda moot there...

Can anyone help me?
cheers
mark
No, the instrument is not broken, it is Jazz!

rick.lang

Re: Problems with the URSA 4K

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Mark, I don't think any NLE supports BMD raw 3:1 except DaVinci Resolve 12.5 at this time. I could be wrong as Adobe issues frequent updates, but I use Resolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

VicHarris

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 pm

All of what Rick said. I'd take a look through the manual on how to correctly process the footage from your camera. These aren't plug n play DLSRs.

As for the FPN, you need to post examples. Just telling us you have it doesn't help us determine if theres a problem with the camera or elsewhere. A DNG uploaded somewhere is best if you shot a flavor of RAW.

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 pm

Mark Hofmann wrote:Hi Fellow Filmmakers,

i recently bought a used URSA 4K wich seems to work just fine. But i have experienced a few things i can find no answer for, maybe one of you guys knows about this:

1. Sometimes, and only sometimes, when i shoot a clip in RAW, my adobe CC says the files is corrupted or unsupported. No Adobe program (AE, PP, PSD) then opens the file, eventhough Resolve opens the file just fine. With the files that do work fine in CC, i can open single Images in Apple preview. But the files that do not work in CC i can open in Apple preview but the images appear to be straight black. But again, they open fine in Resolve and the images are in facto NOT black they do contain images. I have did several tests and i couldn´ find a pattern behind this behaviour. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The only thing i noticed it mostly happens with RAW 3:1 eventhough that hast worked a few times as well... no clue...

Adobe doesn't currently support BMD raw 3:1 and 4:1. Uncompressed raw is supported, though even with these files I personally find the editing more fluid in Resolve than Premiere, even on the same machine.

Mark Hofmann wrote:2. The URSA 4K creates a lot of FPN. Eventhough it´s been said it wouldn´t appear when set to ASA200 i realized it still does. Any chance this ends when upgrading to the 4.6K Sensor?? Did anyone do the upgrade yet and has any experiences to pass on?

All sensors have FPN at some level, though many digital cameras hide it to varying degrees of success by adding noise reduction to their signal chain before the files are recorded. This makes it appear that they have little noise, but it comes at the cost of scene detail. BMD (to my knowledge) does not add any noise reduction to the recorded signal.

BMD's 4K sensor is relatively light hungry and doesn't tolerate underexposure very well at any ISO. However, with a well lit scene you should not get fixed pattern noise (assuming that you are not raising the exposure or stretching your shadows in post). The 4.6K sensor, in my experience, can function with somewhat less light and tolerate more pushing and stretching in post before FPN is revealed.

If you feel that your camera is not functioning as it should, post some DNG files here for evaluation and I'm sure you will get some responses. Better would be to contact BMD support.

Mark Hofmann wrote:3. the last problem i have is with the meta data. I tried to read out the meta data i have typed into the camera. But i can´ find them anywhere in premiere CC. I thought this was a useful tool, but since i don´t see anything of this im my editing suite it seems kinda moot there...

Unfortunately, Adobe does not currently support BMD camera metadata. They take feature requests. I believe there is a recent thread about this that includes the link for submitting them.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 10:23 pm

If convenience is important, hard to beat even the free Resolve as an NLE which may manage a lot of editor's needs. If features are important, Resolve is always improving. And they throw in this professional colour grading capability too! With the URSA and some other BMD cameras, the full version of Resolve is yours with temporal noise reduction and so on included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 12:41 am

Also, the 4.6K upgrade for the Ursa is not available yet, still in development at a BM, so no users will be able to test this yet.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography