Frames dropping in ProRes & DNxHD, but not RAW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Zack Wilson

Frames dropping in ProRes & DNxHD, but not RAW

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Seems like SSDs are becoming the new issue in the never ending BMCC saga...

I'm using Crucial M4 512GB SSDs with the 040H firmware. After three successful shoots in both ProRes and RAW, I'm now having dropped frames with ProRes and DNxHD recording, but not RAW for some reason. Usually the dropped frames come in between 2-5 minutes into the recording with ProRes and DNxHD.

I've been testing different variables for the last two days trying to figure out what the issue may be.

Here's all of the things I've tried to see if any of them solved the dropped frame issue. None of them did.

Initiated Garbage Collection on M4 SSD (had it sit overnight in a powered enclosure, which Crucial told me would make it run GC)
    Erasing SSDs in Disk Utility via powered USB 3.0 dock (not full format)
    Recording in Film or Video Log (no difference)
    Brought BMCC to Firmware 1.1 (didn't work), brought it back up to 1.2 using a new download (didn't work).
    Various frame rates (23.98, 24, 29.97 - all dropped frames)

Is anyone else having any issues like this? It seems strange that it is ProRes/DNxHD that's having issues while RAW is fine - which makes me think it might be an issue with the BMCC and not the SSD. Any tips besides ripping apart a MBP to run TRIM?
Last edited by Zack Wilson on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am the one

Re: Frames dropping in ProRes & DNxHD, but not RAW

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Zack, I would never do a full format of the drive, always do a "quick format". If there is a performance problem with the drive I would run a sequential write performance benchmark. This will help uncover and document any flaws in the drive in order to request a replacement from the manufacturer.

Zack Wilson

Re: Frames dropping in ProRes & DNxHD, but not RAW

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Ah yes - that's what I've been doing - just the Quick Erase - I should have made that clear.

Return to Cinematography