Using 5" Video Assist on Ursa Mini as Proxy Backup?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SohrabMirmont

Using 5" Video Assist on Ursa Mini as Proxy Backup?

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi there,

I've been using the 5" Video Assist as part of my Ursa Mini 4.6k Setup.

It's used as my monitor for my 1st AC, but the main reason I purchased the 5" Video Assist was to create ProRes Proxy files on the fly.

I.E> My Ursa Mini is recording my RAW or ProRes 444 Files on the CFast Card, and my Ursa Mini 5" is recording Prores LT or Prores Proxy onto the SD Card.

This way, I can simply give the client his/her full resolution files via the CFast card, and the proxies via the SD card without having to render anything additional.

THIS WORKS....To an EXTENT. I have to manually rename either all the 5" video files or the CFast files, so they match each other and can re-link via my editing software later.

My question is this.... Is there a way to have the camera or the video assist mimmic the recording file name of the camera / video assist, so I don't have to manually rename everything after every shoot?

This would save so much time, and I'm sure will introduce a whole new way of using the 5" and 7" video assists. Thanks for your time!

Sohrab
Mirmont.net

rick.lang

Re: Using 5" Video Assist on Ursa Mini as Proxy Backup?

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 5:38 pm

You're not alone in wanting that option, but BMD rarely comments on future features. They may indicate they're looking into though. Seems a no-brainer that everyone would use the option and most people would use that capability in a similar manner or simply to have a second video/audio recording for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Yes, it would be nice to have matching file names and/or time code one bothmthe camera and the VA. But currently, this is not an available option.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

roger.magnusson

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Doesn't the 5" Video Assist record timecode? This is already a viable workflow on the 7" 4K using the timecode embedded in both the Ursa Mini and Video Assist media.

DaVinci Resolve doesn't require the media to have the same filenames, it can use timecode only. Instructions for DaVinci Resolve are available here, unfortunately not free: http://moviola.com/webinars/creating-rawproxy-workflow-blackmagic-video-assist-4k/

Rolands Briedis

PostSun May 07, 2017 8:58 am

Is there any updates on question about- Video Assist on Ursa Mini as Proxy Backup?

Return to Cinematography