EF or MFT?!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Tomek Pawlowicz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am
  • Location: Cisownica, Poland

EF or MFT?!

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi everyone.

I decided to buy the BMCC.
I'm building whole pack for it from scratch: I have no lenses/no riggs and so on.

I would like to hear advice about where to go: EF or MFT.
Camera will be for rent and for my purposes.

I would like to buy it as soon as possible, although I know that MFT will be some time later than EF.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
Offline

nivou

  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:27 am

Re: EF or MFT?!

Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 10118
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Dumarrus wrote:Hi everyone.

I decided to buy the BMCC.
I'm building whole pack for it from scratch: I have no lenses/no riggs and so on.

I would like to hear advice about where to go: EF or MFT.
Camera will be for rent and for my purposes.

I would like to buy it as soon as possible, although I know that MFT will be some time later than EF.

Thanks in advance.
Tom


If you are starting from nothing, you need to decide what you need. For example, the BMCC EF has an active mount that can be used to control the iris on an EF lens and can utilize image stabilization in the lens if it has that feature. These can be important in many situations but is that what you need? The BMCC MFT has a passive mount and is designed for completely manual lenses for which you are in total control but likely will require physical stability either from a tripod or other gear such as a shoulder mount or slider that helps to keep your shot reasonably steady.

Your need to get something quickly will point you towards the BMCC EF. Ordering it now may mean a wait of a few months as it is heavily backlogged (unless you live in Japan where someone posted they walked into a retail store and bought one over the counter). If you decide you rely need it quick, then you need to watch the Internet for people selling the camera privately. It seems every week there is one for sale at a premium price but most sellers don't want to ship worldwide so that can be a limitation.

If you don't need it that quickly and the BMCC MFT suits your needs, no one currently has any idea when that will even begin shipping in any quantity as BMD has said they want to clear to the backlog of early orders before starting MFT shipments.

Let's pretend you don't need it quickly and if you can reset your expectations, you'll be happier with whichever model suits your style of shooting digital film. Think about the lenses you want to use and that may help clarify your direction. For example, if you want to use PL mount ciné lenses, you likely need the BMCC MFT. This should give you something to think about and feel free to ask more specific questions but reading those threads identified in the previous post will help too.


Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 274
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Plymouth

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Personally for me I'd go with the EF. The MFT with ex add on and ex oaddon wil give you an unbelievable choice especially in the pro glass range but the ef with it's image stabilisers and lenses is more than good enough for my needs. I could name a lens set right now I'd be more than happy to shoot with in EF and I include a feature film in that, not just corporate.
Offline

Tomek Pawlowicz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am
  • Location: Cisownica, Poland

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks Nivou. I've read 3 of 4 of this topics before. 4th is great.

Rick, that was what I was looking for. I will stay with EF. My budget is to short too think about real cine lenses. I will have some budget for sliders and steadicam gear but with image stabilisation it will be even better. Additionally I don't want to wait forever for a MFT.
Thanks once more :-)

Michael, could you please name your lens set?
I'm planing to buy:
Sigma 8-16mm
Canon 24mm f1.4 LII
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.4
Canon 135mm f2.0
for start.

Thanks once more to all of You.
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 am

Dumarrus wrote:Thanks Nivou. I've read 3 of 4 of this topics before. 4th is great.

Rick, that was what I was looking for. I will stay with EF. My budget is to short too think about real cine lenses. I will have some budget for sliders and steadicam gear but with image stabilisation it will be even better. Additionally I don't want to wait forever for a MFT.
Thanks once more :-)

Michael, could you please name your lens set?
I'm planing to buy:
Sigma 8-16mm
Canon 24mm f1.4 LII
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.4
Canon 135mm f2.0
for start.

Thanks once more to all of You.


Hey Dumarrus I would swap that Sigma 8-16 for the Sigma 17-50 it has OS/IS
and get the Tokina 11-16, and as much as I love the Canon 135mm, If i were you
I would get the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L MKII with IS if you can afford it.

This is because the Sigma 8-16 is slow and has some distortion, and since you are getting the EF version and you may as well use the IS function, if it were the MFT my opinion on lenses would be much different.

With those lenses plus the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 & Canon 24mm f1.4 you will have a nice range of wide/fast and stabilized glass.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Offline

Tomek Pawlowicz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am
  • Location: Cisownica, Poland

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 9:41 am

Hi Darryl.

I read that this Tokina has problem with infinity focus, probably only for now, I guess.
I know Canon 70-200 L ver.2 but I cannot afford it for now unless I give up Canon 24mm and Canon 135, so it could be possible.
Thanks for bringin 17-50mm. This one is sharp, I will consider it.

Thanks for your 2 cents :-)

Tom
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 am

Yes everyone who has the BMCC is sending it in for the flange fix/calibration
but all BMCC's are now being fixed before they ship, So yours will likely not have the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4319&start=80#p34191

and

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4319&start=90#p34245

The canon 70-200 f/4 IS is nice and sharp and much cheaper, I have this lens.
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Tomek Pawlowicz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am
  • Location: Cisownica, Poland

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Yes everyone who has the BMCC is sending it in for the flange fix,
but all BMCC's are now being fixed before they ship, So yours will likely not have the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4319&start=80#p34191

and

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4319&start=90#p34245


Great :-)
So I will consider Tokina as well.

Thanks
Tom
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 am

Here is a nice little blog post with the Sigma 8-16 and the Tokina 11-16 comparison
http://hopperscott.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... -home.html
Offline

Tomek Pawlowicz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am
  • Location: Cisownica, Poland

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:Here is a nice little blog post with the Sigma 8-16 and the Tokina 11-16 comparison
http://hopperscott.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... -home.html


What about chromatic aberration?

I can see it is very big on Tokina, only on the corner and in the middle but even so.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... &APIComp=3
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz
Offline

nivou

  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:27 am

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

I would recommend the EF version especially if you are on a tight budget. I was on the same side few months ago, if I would change my early EF order for an MFT but I’ve decided to stay with the EF version for various reasons. First, I am on a tight budget too, so I cannot afford PL lenses. Second MFT version is Passive so the two buttons in the BMCC camera that control the IRIS and the FOCUS will not work and you’ll have to go with manual lenses only. EF version is active so you can control IRIS and FOCUS electronically and take advantage of the IS when applicable on a lens. Third, there are some pretty awesome lenses for MFT from companies like Voigtlander and SLR Magic but are pretty hard to find in some countries and they will not cover a full range in you lenses arsenal. Voigtlander come only in 17.5mm and 25mm (but at F0.95 which is pretty fast!) and SLR Magic 12mm (F1.6) and 50mm (F0.95). If you stick with the EF model I would recommend for start Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 then the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (previous problem fixed with recalibration) or Sigma 8-16mm if you need to go very wide and then the Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS II.
Offline

Tomek Pawlowicz

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am
  • Location: Cisownica, Poland

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks Nivou.

Do you own any of this lenses?

Tom
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 2451
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm

The SLR Magic 12mm lens seems to be getting a lot of recommendations; I think I'm going to put that on my list and hope for a wider lens that will fit my budget sooner or later. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Alienware M15 Hexacore + Radeon VII + Razer Core
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2232
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 5:37 pm

nivou wrote:... MFT version is Passive so the two buttons in the BMCC camera that control the IRIS and the FOCUS will not work and you’ll have to go with manual lenses only. ...


Since the BMCC-MFT isn't available yet we don't know for sure what function the IRIS and FOCUS buttons will have on the camera.

My guess is that the IRIS button will toggle zebras on/off, and FOCUS will toggle focus peaking on/off, similar to what they do on the BMCC-EF.

You're correct about the BMCC-MFT lens mount being passive (no electrical contacts), so its IRIS button can't affect lens aperture the way it does on the BMCC-EF.

The main difference between the cameras is the BMCC-EF's built-in support for lens IS and (most) DSLR EF lenses. There are extra-cost, 3rd party solutions announced to add this support to the BMCC-MFT, e.g.: "active" lens mount adapters that can power IS, electronic control of lens aperture, etc. So, the BMCC-MFT is perhaps ultimately more flexible, but depending on how one configures it, may cost more than the BMCC-EF.

Myself, I initially plan to use my BMCC-MFT (when it eventually arrives) with my classic Nikkor F SLR prime lenses (I already own an inexpensive F-to-MFT lens adapter). Maybe get a SLR Magic 12mm ultra-wide prime MFT lens. The Metabones SpeedBooster adapter for F-to-MFT -- if/when it becomes available -- is also interesting.
http://www.peterdv.com
https://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/lighting-notes-for-beginners/
Offline

nivou

  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:27 am

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
nivou wrote:... MFT version is Passive so the two buttons in the BMCC camera that control the IRIS and the FOCUS will not work and you’ll have to go with manual lenses only. ...


Since the BMCC-MFT isn't available yet we don't know for sure what function the IRIS and FOCUS buttons will have on the camera.

My guess is that the IRIS button will toggle zebras on/off, and FOCUS will toggle focus peaking on/off, similar to what they do on the BMCC-EF.

You're correct about the BMCC-MFT lens mount being passive (no electrical contacts), so its IRIS button can't affect lens aperture the way it does on the BMCC-EF.



If you download the official BMCC manual you will notice that for the MFT model there's no applicable action for those buttons, so I doubt that will change the button function for the MFT model, time will show! My suggestion for the EF model was on the fact that Dumarrus is on a tight budget. Yes MFT seems more flexible but you need more money to make it flexible (if metabones speedbooster work well it will be awesome for the MFT model!). Dumarrus, the EF-S 17-55mm it's awesome and it woks great with my current canon crop sensor. The only issue? is not future proof (will not work on full frame cameras) and the small focusing ring. Overall, it's an inexpensive zoom lens that has the quality of an L lens. I don't own Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II but it will be my next buy, and doing a thorough research I learned that many professional photographers and filmmakers believe that this is a must have lens. Regarding the wide lens choice Tokina 11-16mm has a more robust and quality structure than the Sigma 8-16mm but then the Sigma goes wider (8mm x 2.3 = 18.4mm) than Tokina (11mm x 2.3 = 25.3mm). Moreover Tokina is faster and has a constant aperture (f2.8) and the Sigma is relative slow (f4.5-5.6) and non-constant aperture. So, it's up to you! (and your needs of course!)
Offline

Steve Lee Jean

  • Posts: 233
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 am

I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. If you've invested in a lot of EF glass, it makes sense to go the EF mount option, however, even if you haven't (which appears to be the case here) The EF lens market has the most variety and IMO the best prices. Since BMD has worked out the flange issue for infinity focus, you can go with all the practical players, Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokino, etc.


HOWEVER....

In the end, if the BMCC is something you'll use as you grow as a videographer/DoP. I think MFT is the only way to go. Better choice in glass and iris/electronic control be damned. S4/PL and other Cine Lenses wont have any auto features regardless, and many of us here (me included) have used DSLRs without investing in ANY electronic glass. The video way!

Didn't even mention the Metabones Speed Booster. With .71x focal reduction, you'll get 1.6 cropping making lens selection so much more viable since the size is so close to S35.

Good luck.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 6:00 am

innerspark wrote:I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. If you've invested in a lot of EF glass, it makes sense to go the EF mount option, however, even if you haven't (which appears to be the case here) The EF lens market has the most variety and IMO the best prices. Since BMD has worked out the flange issue for infinity focus, you can go with all the practical players, Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokino, etc.


HOWEVER....

In the end, if the BMCC is something you'll use as you grow as a videographer/DoP. I think MFT is the only way to go. Better choice in glass and iris/electronic control be damned. S4/PL and other Cine Lenses wont have any auto features regardless, and many of us here (me included) have used DSLRs without investing in ANY electronic glass. The video way!

Didn't even mention the Metabones Speed Booster. With .71x focal reduction, you'll get 1.6 cropping making lens selection so much more viable since the size is so close to S35.

Good luck.


I agree with innerspark again, I already have the EF, But I will probably be buying the MFT...Maybe? still hoping for Active mount in the next version, I like working with 2 or 3 camera's anyway, and for $3000 It's simple math, 2 Cameras will simply make me more money.
Offline

Samjack

  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 am

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 am

Metabones Speedbooster makes more sense for EF lens owners opting for MFT.
Offline
User avatar

MaxEmanuel

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 am

Speedbooster from MFT to PL would be great :D
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany
Offline

robmneilson

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

@max Steve Morton at Cinemods.com was talking about trying to make a speed booster that's compatible with OCT-19 lenses. If he can make that happen, a PL mount version should be pretty simple.
Offline
User avatar

MaxEmanuel

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 3:56 pm

robmneilson wrote:@max Steve Morton at Cinemods.com was talking about trying to make a speed booster that's compatible with OCT-19 lenses. If he can make that happen, a PL mount version should be pretty simple.


Wow, thanks for the info rob. that would be really awesome - imagine a zeiss prime with T0.5 :P
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany
Offline

robmneilson

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I hope it happens, we just need for him to get his MFT version of the camera so he can start work!
Offline
User avatar

MaxEmanuel

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm

As much as I've heard the MFT Version will still take a while till it will be delivered finally. The only person who has one already is John. However, I hope I'll get my own MFT until summer and I hope it will be a passive one still.
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany
Offline

Scott Pultz

  • Posts: 556
  • Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36 am
  • Location: Seattle

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm

From what I understand, the Focus button just turns on peaking. It doesn't actually focus the lens for you.
Offline
User avatar

MaxEmanuel

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm
  • Location: Bavaria / Germany

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Scott Pultz wrote:From what I understand, the Focus button just turns on peaking. It doesn't actually focus the lens for you.


Same as on the EF as fas as I know...
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany
Offline

Gilly

  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm
  • Location: South Georgia, USA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 3:08 am

in respect to comparing how the MFT vs the EF glass will be in distance to the sensor. Wont the MFT allow for better wide angle shooting? I tried scimming thru the posts on the difference in crop factors between the two designs, and could not find any info.

The EF seems to pitch getting wide angle shots unless you really have an extreme wide angle lens, yes?

Anyone have insight into this or a link?

thanks

gilly
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)
Offline

Steve Lee Jean

  • Posts: 233
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 am

This is because of the distange between the flange and the sensor. Lenses like the tokina 11-16 ot sigma 8-16 only work on APS-C sensors and wont cover a full frame. You'd be hard pressed to find an ultra wide angle lens wider than 14mm that will still cover FF, and not suffer from severe distortion, fisheye.

The smaller MFT sensor, the smaller flange distance, allows greater lattitude for optics to be implemented. Hence lenses like the slr magic 12mm, or even wider ones that are in the works.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA
Offline

Gilly

  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm
  • Location: South Georgia, USA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks for the reply...

So the MFT will be more forgiving on the wide angle side due to the nature of the 4/3 lens market?
Am I correct that there have not been any EF / MTF same lens comparisons to show field of view?

I have no issues with not having auto iris/focus and am leaning towards the MFT.

gilly

PS Im not waiting in line, Im waiting for you guys n gals to get yours first. Once things start cooking with the production line, it will all be fine..... patience!!!
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)
Offline

Steve Lee Jean

  • Posts: 233
  • Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 am

Correction, not due to the M43 market, but because of the M43 mount/sensor design. There are lenses by Panasonic, Olympus, voigt, slr magic etc, that make lenses specifically for this mount, and can therefore be optimized for such a system.

If you look at philip bloom's BMCC review, you'll see him demonstrating the crop factors between a FF, APS-C, M43 2x, and BMCC 2.3x.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2232
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm

innerspark wrote:Correction, not due to the M43 market, but because of the M43 mount/sensor design. There are lenses by Panasonic, Olympus, voigt, slr magic etc, that make lenses specifically for this mount, and can therefore be optimized for such a system. If you look at philip bloom's BMCC review, you'll see him demonstrating the crop factors between a FF, APS-C, M43 2x, and BMCC 2.3x.


The crop factor is identical in the BMCC-EF and BMCC-MFT. The lens mount is different, but the crop is the same (2.3x). The sensor is identical in the 2 models. The BMCC-MFT has a passive MFT mount, but has the same size sensor as in the BMCC-EF; neither are the size of the sensor used in other popular MFT cameras.
http://prolost.com/storage/post-images/ ... 5660764902

For example, a 8mm lens will have the same FOV on the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT.

The announced BMCC-MFT lens mount is passive, a purely mechanical design with no electrical contacts. That means the BMCC-MFT will provide direct support for fully-manual, non-electronic MFT lenses. Electronic MFT lenses such as Panasonic Lumix & Olympus can't be used on the BMCC-MFT, because they require power to support most features, including focus, aperture, IS, and lens distortion correction.

There are 3rd party electronic lens mount adapters available for the MFT mount (including a passive MFT mount) that enable using electronic EF lenses, and I suspect more "electronic" adapters will be announced at the NAB expo next month, possibly including support for electronic MFT on EF.

Whether there are more or fewer relatively wide lenses available for use on the BMCC-EF or BMCC-MFT depends on what compatible lenses (either directly compatible or via an adapter) are available on the market. It has nothing to do with crop factors, because the crop factor of the two BMCC models is identical.
http://www.peterdv.com
https://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/lighting-notes-for-beginners/
Offline
User avatar

Trevor Zuck

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: the 515

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
innerspark wrote:Correction, not due to the M43 market, but because of the M43 mount/sensor design. There are lenses by Panasonic, Olympus, voigt, slr magic etc, that make lenses specifically for this mount, and can therefore be optimized for such a system. If you look at philip bloom's BMCC review, you'll see him demonstrating the crop factors between a FF, APS-C, M43 2x, and BMCC 2.3x.


The crop factor is identical in the BMCC-EF and BMCC-MFT. The lens mount is different, but the crop is the same (2.3x). The sensor is identical in the 2 models. The BMCC-MFT has a passive MFT mount, but has the same size sensor as in the BMCC-EF; neither are the size of the sensor used in other popular MFT cameras.
http://prolost.com/storage/post-images/ ... 5660764902

For example, a 8mm lens will have the same FOV on the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT.

The announced BMCC-MFT lens mount is passive, a purely mechanical design with no electrical contacts. That means the BMCC-MFT will provide direct support for fully-manual, non-electronic MFT lenses. Electronic MFT lenses such as Panasonic Lumix & Olympus can't be used on the BMCC-MFT, because they require power to support most features, including focus, aperture, IS, and lens distortion correction.

There are 3rd party electronic lens mount adapters available for the MFT mount (including a passive MFT mount) that enable using electronic EF lenses, and I suspect more "electronic" adapters will be announced at the NAB expo next month, possibly including support for electronic MFT on EF.

Whether there are more or fewer relatively wide lenses available for use on the BMCC-EF or BMCC-MFT depends on what compatible lenses (either directly compatible or via an adapter) are available on the market. It has nothing to do with crop factors, because the crop factor of the two BMCC models is identical.


Crop factor is the same on the MFT and the EF, however if you compare the EF with an 8mm lens and an MFT with the same 8mm lens with the camera mounted in the same exact location, the MFT will give you a slightly wider view.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios
Offline

tnwonder

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Slightly wider? Due to? Sorry, same crop factor (same sensor), same lens. There's something I don't get. Can you explain it to me, please?
Thanks
Offline
User avatar

Trevor Zuck

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: the 515

Re: EF or MFT?!

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 8:35 pm

tnwonder wrote:Slightly wider? Due to? Sorry, same crop factor (same sensor), same lens. There's something I don't get. Can you explain it to me, please?
Thanks

What's the classic way to get a wider view from a lens? back up. the MFT has a shorter mount. so an 8mm lens on an EF sticks out further than on the MFT. I guess i could have confused people by saying "same lens." I meant same focal length lens.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elideadeye, pulalis and 18 guests