DR-701D and BMCC 2.5K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jonatan Lyssens

DR-701D and BMCC 2.5K

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Hey,

I was planning on making an upgrade of my tascam. I have been working with a Tascam DR100 MKII for quite some time now in combination with my BMCC 2.5K. Using the line out of the tascam to get a reference track on the BMCC, to sync on audio. I was looking to upgrade to the DR701D. I was wondering if anybody had any experience, especially with the timecode in on the DR701D.

I was thinking to hook up the SDI-out to the TC IN on the DR701D. For easy timecode sync, using the timecode of the bmcc as the base and patch that through to the DR 701D. Does that work has the SDI-out timecode on it, or is it just the video signal?

In addition to that if i would loop the sdi signal through a EVF like the alphatron would I still be getting the timecode in to the DR701D? It would be great if someone could share their experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Jonatan

Denny Smith

Re: DR-701D and BMCC 2.5K

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Yes, the BMCC does output T-C via the SDI. However, not sure if your EVF will end up stripping it off, something you will need to test out. If the Aphateon has a true "pass through" (SDI in/out looped without reclocking or any processing) then the T/C should make it through the EVF.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jonatan Lyssens

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks,

I contacted Alphatron and they say, they tested it and it passes through TC.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Good news, now to test and see if the Tascam will lock to the camera T/C. Good luck
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jonatan Lyssens

PostWed May 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Hey,

When I plugged the sdi output directly into the DR 701D. I didn't get any timecode. I didn't go for the Alphatron but for the cineroid EVF 4 RVW. When I plug the sdi output from BMCC into the Cineroid, he displays timecode. So now i'm waiting for an extra sdi cable to test if the cineroid will output that TC to my Tascam.

I'll keep you posted.

Denny Smith

PostWed May 03, 2017 4:37 pm

The TC in on the Tascam, is looking for a time code signal from a TC clock, not embedded TC in a video SDI stream. The BNC on the Recorder is not a SDI imput, you need to get a Converter box that wil, strip out the TC from the SDI stream, and output it as a TC clock signal, the Tascam is looking for. The Cineroid EVF will just pass through the entire SDI video stream. Do a search on syncing a Cinema camera with audio recorder, this has been discussed in the past.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert DelTour

PostSat May 06, 2017 8:47 pm

The BMCC and BMPC (which I use) aren't exactly super timecode friendly. There are a number of work-arounds, but they are for the most part pretty pricy. My setup is mainly for working with a sound recordist and camera operator working separately, but it should work for you. I have the BMPC and the Tascam DR-701D each receiving timecode from a tentacle sync system. I have two, but you can do it with one. You first jam the timecode to the audio recorder, then switch the tentacle sync to output audio timecode. You then use a 1/4" cable to plug it in to one of the audio inputs on the camera. This adds an audio track that is full of beeps and blips that are really loud to one channel. Then you open the clips in DaVinci, and in the media browser you click "Update Timecode from Audios-LTC" and boom, your BMCC footage has synced timecode. If you have the recorder on the camera rig, you could also feed the audio out into the second audio channel on the camera to have a mix down since the internal audio recording is worthless. Hope this helps.

Return to Cinematography