Ursa Mini: clip continuing on second card, not there?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Janne Laiho

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello,

just recorded a clip on the Ursa Mini 4.6K so that one card became full mid-clip (Raw 4:1 compressed). The recording seemed to continue onto the second card, as advertised. When I bring all clips into Resolve, however, the said clip is cut where the transition to the second card happened, i.e. the tail end is missing. I can't find the tail in its own file either.

Where can I find the entire last clip in cases where one card became full mid recording? Thanks.

cheers
Janne

rick.lang

Re: Ursa Mini: clip continuing on second card, not there?

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Looking at the time stamps on the recordings to the second card, you should notice the clip that contains the DNG files that are the continuation of the first card's last clip. You can then copy the all DNG files within the second card's clip folder to the last clip folder of the first card. Or are you saying the second card is empty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Janne Laiho

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Hello,

thanks for the reply. I found the tail end. For some reason, Resolve will not show that DNG folder as a clip thumbnail in the media window - it shows a folder icon, and in that folder I can find the clip. If I move the DNGs from the tail end of the clip to the previous clip's folder, I get two folder icons (rather than a single clip thumbnail, as one would expect) and there's no audio (Resolve will not link the DNGs and their respective WAVs correctly).

The way Resolve displays compressed Raw icons (clip thumbnails vs. folder icons) seems broken, or then I'm not understanding something. My earlier version of Resolve (12.5.something) displayed all DNG folders as folder icons rather than clip thumbnails (in thumbnail view). I upgraded to the latest version (12.5.4.019) and now Resolve diplays clips correctly (as thumbnails) except for at least clips that are split over two cards.

This is workable but not the way it's supposed to work. Or again, I'm missing something.

cheers
Janne

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Janne, it's been quite a while since I tested the overflow of a raw recording from one card to another. Apologies if I may have given you bad advice.

The clips on both cards will contain a .wav audio recording. What I can't remember is the duration of audio within the respective clips. It might be that you can simply leave things alone, not worry about merging the video clip in a single folder.

Add Card1 to your media pool. Add Card2 to your media pool (which is the overflow or continuation of the clip on Card1). On your timeline, append both clips. You should see the audio portion of Card1 with its respective video and then the audio portion of Card2 with its continued video. When you hit Play on the NLE, you should have everything. Do you want to try that? Or want me to investigate further?

Rick Lang

Janne Laiho

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Rick, thanks but I think I'll investigate this myself. I do a lot of interview stuff and will likely run into this quite often.

The thing is that the Resolve media page will not display the tail end of the overflow clip correctly (it displays a folder, rather than a clip thumbnail as it's supposed to, when in thumbnail view). This is why I didn't add the tail end to the media pool at first and thought it's missing from the card. It's on the card, it's just not displayed correctly.

I attach a screenshot of my resolve media pool. The folder icon is the folder with the DNGs and the WAV of the tail end. Everything is there - the WAV in the folder is the length of the DNG sequence, as it's supposed to be. The clip thumbnails are clips that are not continued from one card to another. I suspect the reason why Resolve display the folder icon rather than a clip thumbnail is the folder name: the folder containing the tail end doesn't follow the regular Ursa Mini file naming convention. Here, the tail end is "A004_01201030_C011-1", whereas the standard naming convention is "A004_01201030_C011" (which is the beginning part of the split clip). By going into the folder, Resolve will display the clip thumbnail. I can then add that clip, and append the first part of the split clip with the tail.

The ideal situation would be that a split clip was displayed as one clip thumbnail (or line item when in that view), i.e. that a split clip would be just another clip, similar to any other clip.

Thanks, cheers,
Janne
Attachments
overflow.jpg
overflow.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Yes, that's what I recall for the naming convention. It's keeping the same name, but adding the -1 suffix to make it unique for the filesystem to manage it. I think you're right that it could be managed a little more elegantly by Resolve, but at this point, it's a somewhat manual process.

If your interview extends beyond the two cards you have mounted, remember you can hot swap another card in slot 1 anytime the camera is recording to slot 2.

You'll want to offload (and then reformat the original card with a new name) from slot 1 if you're like me and only have two cards. And lock down and physically steady the camera as it's going to want to move when you press on the card release.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography