DNG Problems From Kingston 120gb SSD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ned Soltz

DNG Problems From Kingston 120gb SSD

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Did a day's shooting with both a Kingston 120GB SSD Now 200 V+ (on appoved list and actually BMD's SSD) and a SanDisk 480GB (my own).

No issues with the footage on the 480.

The 120SSD files do not develop properly in Resolve 9.1.1 (tried it in both Lite and full Resolve). Instead of displaying the thunbnail, just displays a folder. I open that folder and get the individual DNG files plus a separate audio file). Can drag everything to the media pool. Want to export ProRes but even if I check audio in the Deliver page, it only exports the video. Is there any way just to export the video and then relink in NLE?

What could have caused this? As far as I know, the operator powered down the camera before removing SSD.

Any fix?

The images, by the way, are amazing and for those still waiting, it's worth it!

Ned Soltz

Albert N. Romero

Re: DNG Problems From Kingston 120gb SSD

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm

If you have a folder, you have dropped frames
if the REC text when you are shoting in RAW, blinks, then u have dropped frames.

I can tell you (i had a Kingston SSDNOW V200+ 120gb for one month) that this one only works the first week. No patches or Trim can fix it.

Now i have Sandisk 240 (same speed than the 480) and is working

Ned Soltz

Re: DNG Problems From Kingston 120gb SSD

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 2:56 am

Indeed it is a dropped frame problem-- on every clip on that SSD. I even shot a few additional clips, all of which dropped frames.

I have not seen the footage, but editor was able to salvage the shot. Just created a QT from the partial clips and added the wav audio-- all in FCP 7. There were something like 10 takes with a consistent professional actor. So I think he was able to put a couple of takes together where there were no dropped frames or audio sync issues and the shot is saved.

Return to Cinematography