Using a SmallHD AC7 monitor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Loch Phillipps

Using a SmallHD AC7 monitor

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 pm

I love my SmallHD AC7 monitor and want to use it with my new BMCC. To do so, I'll have to spend $300. to have SmallHD add an SDI converter. Is this worthwhile? I want to be sure the picture quality will still be as good and that I'll be able to have all the screen information I want on it, like f-stop, shooting specs, etc. (all that I can currently see in the BMCC monitor.
Loch Phillipps

cajunrory

Re: Using a SmallHD AC7 monitor

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 8:55 pm

I have the EVF or 4 inch monitor everything that you see on the BMC screen you see on the monitor.

John Waldorff

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm

I wonder if I should get the OLED version or not.. it seems to be really cool this monitor.

m.snell-callanen

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 pm

I thought AC7 already had SDI ?

Benton Collins

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 12:36 am

For $50 you can get this outboard SDI to HDMI adapter which has gotten decent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Lenkeng-Converter ... +converter

You will have to power it with an external battery.

Keep in mind that you can only view the flat "film" image on any external display via the SDI output without an LUT color correction file feeding or built into the monitor. The simulated "video" image with added contrast and color is available in the on camera display only. I have read here on this forum that the BMCC currently does not output the "video" look only the flat "film" look. It's a bummer, because I like evaluating the on screen image with a "generic grade" knowing that I am still capturing much more in the extremes than is shown on screen which I can fine tune in my final grade.

Steve Lee Jean

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 am

SmallHD monitors are the best in the business and have prices that are insanely competitive for their quality/features.

I say get it upgraded. The hassle of an EXTRA sdi converter (in case you choose not to upgrade the AC7) that needs its own battery source is a headache worth living without. Less is more IMO.

On top of that, all SmallHD products, in good operation condition will hold their value pretty well. In case you wish to part with it, there will always be those interested.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 am

I agree with innerspark,
You will end up spending more than $300 buying a decent converter and battery solution, you may as well upgrade the AC7.

I was going to get the Alphatron EVF or the Cineroid but now
I'm going the converter route since i have the DP4/EVF, but I'm going to use the HyperDeck, So I'll have a recorder and SDI to HDMI converter, At least for now, Maybe later I'll get the Alphatron, but I found a few decent ways to mount and power the Hyperdeck.

Here are a few
Since I have the Switronix powerbase 70 my first choice is this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330849424873?ss ... 1438.l2649

My second choice just for the Hyper Deck is this DIY solution
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/877169

And a cheaper battery plate with power cords
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300820341983?ss ... 1438.l2649

We need to start a "Show us your Rig" Thread soon :ugeek:
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benton Collins

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 am

pfrizalone posted this $10 battery solution for the $50 external SDI to HDMI converter:
It's 9 volts and the unit takes 5V but he says it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-9-VOLTS-DC- ... 3f22215bdd

But I agree that just to keep things simple I would spring for the $300, but if you really need to keep the money tight, it apparently is a cheap solution that works. $250 savings can buy a nice lens on Ebay!
Last edited by Benton Collins on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 am

Benton wrote:pfrizalone posted this extremely cheap battery solution for the external SDI to HDMI converter:
It's 9 volts and the unit takes 5V but he says it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-9-VOLTS-DC- ... 3f22215bdd

But I agree that just to keep things simple I would spring for the $300, but if you really need to keep the money tight, it apparently is a cheap solution that works. $250 savings can buy a nice lens on Ebay!

Absolutely, and as much as I love DIY type devices and deals, I get paid to shoot,
and I can't have a plastic "consumer" looking object Duct taped/Velcro strapped to my rig that could fail at anytime.
I would consider DIY for the mount option I posted above for the HyperDeck since it looks solid
but the Converter for $59 is plastic and has vent holes, probably not good if a drop of rain hits it.

Anyway for a temporary solution I guess I would try it, But on a paying gig..No Way!

Loch Phillipps

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 pm

All the excellent feedback much appreciated. I will go for the upgrade. Looks like the BMCC will require so much outboard gear that I don't want to complicate further with an SDI to HDMI converter. Still wondering about the audio, adding phantom power and easy access level controls, and a rig to hold it all.

Bummer about the film "image" output only though. Is that possibly something a firmware upgrade could address later?
Loch Phillipps

Benton Collins

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 4:15 pm

loch@offrampfilms.com wrote:All the excellent feedback much appreciated. I will go for the upgrade. Looks like the BMCC will require so much outboard gear that I don't want to complicate further with an SDI to HDMI converter. Still wondering about the audio, adding phantom power and easy access level controls, and a rig to hold it all.

Bummer about the film "image" output only though. Is that possibly something a firmware upgrade could address later?

I asked about the "flat film look" only through the SDI output to BMD support this morning. I am waiting on an e-mail response from them confirming the status of this and also if there's a workaround or if they can address this in a future firmware upgrade. Not being able to see something close to "normal" contrast and color on a high quality external monitor is a big hinderance. I really hate saying, "don't worry, it'll look great once it's fixed in post". I want to see and share great on the spot!!

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 am

I've had the AC7 OLED for a few weeks now and it's worth getting the SDI version. All of your display is there. Just be aware if you're recording to an external device you will need to turn off the display.
gek, jr.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 am

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:I've had the AC7 OLED for a few weeks now and it's worth getting the SDI version. All of your display is there. Just be aware if you're recording to an external device you will need to turn off the display.

Do you mean turn off SDI overlays? or the OLED Display?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 4:54 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Do you mean turn off SDI overlays? ...

Yes.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Do you mean turn off SDI overlays? ...

Yes.

I figured as much but clarification is always nice.

Thank you Peter

Benton Collins

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 am

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:I've had the AC7 OLED for a few weeks now and it's worth getting the SDI version. All of your display is there. Just be aware if you're recording to an external device you will need to turn off the display.

Hi George,

Does your new AC7 OLED display just the flat "film" look or can it display a "normalized" video look that can be selected and displayed on the built-in camera screen? How is the accuracy of color on the AC7 OLED, do the reds shift to orange as they do on the built-in screen? Thanks for your feedback!

Benton

EVOSHOOTER

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 am

SmallHD AC7

Drop kick tests?

:D

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 am

Benton wrote:For $50 you can get this outboard SDI to HDMI adapter which has gotten decent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Lenkeng-Converter ... +converter

Don't use those. They are crap!! I have 1 of those converters with my Atem set because i ran out of converters and had to buy something.

It seems that this converter has no build in Re-Clocker. You will end up with green spicks / lines or even a complete green distorted image. (depending on how long the cable is between the source and converter) :cry: So just buy a BMD or any other respected brand.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

CBFa

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Can you recommand the AC7 monitor for a Canon 5D mark III?
And can it be bougth in the Netherlands?
I'm searching for a good monitor with focus assist.

Jason Hinkle

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 am

I have a SmallHD DP6 that I sent back and got the SDI input. Of course it's a chunk of change, but as they say - buy once, cry once.

As for the image - an earlier poster was talking about the "look" of the video (film vs video). But - your original question I think was regarding the overlays, like aperture, etc? The answer to that is yes - there is a menu setting for SDI overlay and you can choose what you want to appear on your external monitor. You can choose to see the f-stop, how much battery remains, framing marks, etc.

Basically it's awesome. Especially for those of us who have been shooting on Canon DSLRs - plugging in the external monitor shuts off the on-board LCD. I'm so glad the BMCC doesn't do that. I don't have to deal with HDMI splitters and carry around 2 external monitors. I would always curse that camera, with it's empty black on-board LCD screen just mocking me.

Also - SDI cables have been used in broadcast for years and I find the quality much more substantial and pleasing to run, wrap, etc. I totally understand the financial need to choose an HDMI adapter instead, but I should just say that I don't miss the hassle one bit.

Milen Mladenov

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 am

John Waldorff wrote:I wonder if I should get the OLED version or not.. it seems to be really cool this monitor.

If you have the money, definitely. To my knowledge till now only Sony makes oled displays and the price is much higher. The technology of oled far is superior in terms of color and dr reproduction. If you have the money go for the oled, that's the future!

Cheers,
Milen

Return to Cinematography