PWM(S.Bus)+LANC+DC BMMCC Angle Expansion Box Module

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dmitry Shijan

PWM(S.Bus)+LANC+DC BMMCC Angle Expansion Box Module

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 4:26 am

Hi there! As you may know i'm a developer of Angle HDMI Clamp Kit https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55124 and co-designer of SmallRig BMMCC cage. My next attempt in this line of projects was the camera handle, but it seems things moving slowly and i decide to release Angle Expansion Box Module first.
Box uses high quality connectors made by Lumberg (Germany). It takes months to test a lot of different connectors before choose proper ones, especially DC power which should work smoothly with BMMCC power plug same as with another more simple ones. Angle shape provides compact and secure cable management, no more mess of wires around camera. Fits perfectly to size and shape of BMMCC Angle HDMI Clamp Kit. 3D printed body. Compatible with SmallRig and Wooden Camera cages. Compatible with other BMMCC controllers.
3.5mm jack can be mapped to 2 PWM channels or to S.Bus. Other connectors are 2.5 jack LANC and camera DC power in.

Currently this project is in final stage of development. Hope expansion box will be available in month or so. Price will be $50. Worldwide shipping with registered air mail about $5.

For more details send me a private message or contact directly to radioproektor (@) gmail . com

Last edited by Dmitry Shijan on Mon May 29, 2017 4:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dmitry Shijan

Re: PWM(S.Bus)+LANC+DC BMMCC Angle Expansion Box Module

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 12:28 pm

work in progress . . .
Last edited by Dmitry Shijan on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmitry Shijan

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Currently i search a better way to manufacture a box body. At this Sunday my friends made test samples on usual FDM 3D printer and i don't like the results. It appears not too precise and material not strong enough for this kind of small things, also it takes too many time for batch manufacture. So i refuse my idea of simple 3D printed body.
Now i got few other more precise and professional manufacture options, like DLP/SLA 3D printers or CNC machined body sample for future molding. Need to test that things too...

Also i find a solution for more flexible pinout. Everything will be connected directly to D-sub pins with tiny Dupont Jumpers. Anytime you can just open the box and change pinout for example from S.bus to PWM or to anything you want.

This is final design of the cap. It inserts deeper as earlier versions into box body and improves rigidity, same time saves a lot of space and allow to use smaller length screws now.

Dmitry Shijan

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Also want to share a little chart after testing Lumberg/EST vs OEM China connectors comparison. DC power connectors are also different. I can't find a Lumberg DC power connectors in local stores yet, but already find another brand which is better quality than OEM.

Dwanehollands

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Hey Dmitry,

This is interesting! It looks tidy!

So when you say $25-$50 is that for the completed device or for the kit which would require assembly?
Dwane Hollands

Instagram
@dwanehollands
@dwanehollandsbts

Youtube
youtube.com/hollandsprint

Dmitry Shijan

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Sure it will be assembled and ready to use product. Currently i search the better way to print a high quality model with precision 0.05mm, and convert it to silicone shape for molding. Next, this box will be manufactured time to time in small batches (5-10pcs) from rugged material and assembled.

Dwanehollands

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Oh cool!

So you have a lanc the power and then a 3.5mm jack as well? What would you plug into that? Another lanc like device?
Dwane Hollands

Instagram
@dwanehollands
@dwanehollandsbts

Youtube

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 8:28 pm

I think the 3.5mm jack is connected to the SBus for a SBus based remote, or can be connected to a PWM pin connection to get ISO or WB remote toggle control.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmitry Shijan

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 8:28 pm

I plane to develop in future a grip with simple rec/stop PWM button to this box. 3.5mm jack is freely configurable you can map it to two PWM buttons and just connect a simple button to it. Or map to more complicated S.Bus protocol and use with any S.Bus controller developed last times for this camera.

As i wrote earlier:
Also i find a solution for more flexible pinout. Everything will be connected directly to D-sub pins with tiny Dupont Jumpers. Anytime you can just open the box and change pinout for example from S.bus to PWM or to anything you want.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (75.32 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
newproducts_aug13_04_lrg.jpg
newproducts_aug13_04_lrg.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

Tommaso Alvisi

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 pm

again, this is brilliant!

Dwanehollands

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Denny/Dmitry,

This is pretty cool! I'm watching with interest!
Dwane Hollands

Instagram
@dwanehollands
@dwanehollandsbts

Youtube

Dmitry Shijan

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 10:41 pm

In the final final version i decided to add extra elements around d-sub connector for better support and stability. Still searching for best 3D printer possible for master copy. Stratasys Objet30 printers looks great but very expensive, DLP printers are another option but needs more post processing handwork to finish. Also some sketches for future molding setup. It appears that manufacture of decent silicone shape will be the most complicated thing in this adventure.

Dmitry Shijan

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 5:18 pm

THE MASTER COPY is ready! This was printed on B9Creator DLP 3D printer.

Dmitry Shijan

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm

BTW if someone else potentially interested in this adapter P.M., me, send email of post messages here. This helps me to understand how many copies to produce in first batch and send them all together without delay.

Dmitry Shijan

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 am

OK people, some news here:
After long research i dropped the concept of DIY silicone molding and plastic casting because it appears too complicated, requires a lot of additional gear, results are not always predictable, and experiments may take many months. Also i find that those plastic casting materials are not too heat resistant and can deform under extreme sun. It is also problematic to get a neutral deep black color with them.
So i return to concept of 3D printed box. I tested few different FDM 3D printers and find that they can produce very different results depending of used material and printer brand. Also instead of unpredictable fragile ABS plastic i find Elastan D70 - new industrial material developed by local manufacturer. It is solid but same time slightly elastic and resistant to impact loads (95 Shore Type D). Usable in temps from -40 to +120 °С. Resistant to UV light, X-ray, wet, oils, fats and many solvents, safe for food contact, low shrinkage durable material.
Internal part of the box was also redesigned. It became much stronger now.
In day or so i'll get a first test sample of printed box so we can see how it looks, how it feels and do a crash test with heavy hammer.

v14-4.jpg
v14-4.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

Dmitry Shijan

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Printed on FlashForge Creator Pro FDM 3D printer with layer thickness 0.1mm with black PET plastic (aka coPET).
Sanded, painted with textured spray and black paint layer (RAL9005). Now i'm really happy with result and ready for batch manufacture.

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:46 am

Looks good.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmitry Shijan

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:14 am

All cables connected to D-SUB pins with tiny jumper plugs, so you can open the box and change configuration as you like just in few seconds.

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Good job with the strain relief on the soldered jack connections.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmitry Shijan

PostSun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

And first boxes will be shipped in few days.

Also if someone needs slim angle cables check these links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142179109943?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=441245745900&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRS-Short-Or-Long-Right-Angle-3-5mm-AUDIO-CABLE-Male-to-Male-you-choose-length-/142180832484?var=&hash=item211aa354e4:m:m2lOy-G78TDldJHyYjgGpcg
It seems this is the only one seller who sells them. They are thinner than normal cables, very slim and flex. You can see same cables connected to expansion box compared to normal sized ones in earlier posts here.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun May 07, 2017 2:13 am

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Currently this project is in final stage of development. Hope expansion box will be available in month or so. Price will be around $25-$50. Worldwide shipping with registered air mail about $5.

Very cool. I look forward to your finished product.

Dmitry Shijan

PostSun May 07, 2017 1:22 pm

PWM(S.Bus)+LANC+12V DC Angle Breakout Expansion Box Module developed by RADIOPROEKTOR for Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera (BMMCC) and Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K (BMMSC).
Angle shape provides compact and secure cable management without mess of wires around the camera. Box compatible with SmallRig and Wooden Camera cages, but can be used without any cage as well. Perfectly fits to size and shape of BMMCC Angle HDMI Clamp Kit.
Box uses high quality TRS connectors made by Lumberg/EST (Germany/Japan). Everything is connected with tiny Dupont Jumpers, so you can open the box and easily change cables configuration for your needs just in few seconds. This makes it compatible with any PWM and S.Bus camera controllers, allow for Composite video signal output, Genlock/Reference input or any other desired option.

Tech Specs:
1 x 3.5mm TRS jack socket for PWM, S.Bus or any other user selectable inputs/outputs.
1 x 2.5mm TRS jack socket for LANC input.
1 x 5.5x2.1mm (5.5x2.5mm compatible) 12V DC power input socket.
1 x DB-HD15 serial connector.
The housing is 3Dprinted from coPET material, sanded and finished with acrylic paint.
Dimensions: 34x34x29mm
Weight: 28g
Operating Temperature: -20°C to +70°C

Package includes
- Angle Breakout Expansion Box
- 2pcs #4-40UNC screws (Stainless Steel or Black Oxide Steel for your choice)
- 3/32 allen wrench hex key

Package cost total:
Angle Breakout Expansion Box = $50
Worldwide shipping by registered air mail with tracking number = $5
Payoneer funds transfer fee = 3%

Currently I can accept payments only with Payoneer Billing Service because PayPal don't works in my country for receiving funds.
Here are few links explains how the Payoneer Request a Payment service works:
https://www.payoneer.com/en/billing-service/
http://blog.payoneer.com/how-to-request-a-payment-with-payoneer/
https://payoneer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12280

For pre-order details send me a private message or contact directly to radioproektor (@) gmail . com

Also if you need additional Angle HDMI Clamp with Ugreen adapter i can combine the package. More info about it available here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55124

Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera Expansion Box Pinout:

Wires inside the box are marked with colors:
S.Bus power (tip) [BLUE]
S.Bus signal (ring) [GREEN]
S.Bus ground (sleeve) [WHITE]
LANC signal (tip) [YELLOW]
LANC power (ring) [ORANGE]
LANC ground (sleeve) [GREY]
Power +12V DC (center pin) [RED]
Power ground [BLACK]

Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K Expansion Box Pinout:

Wires inside the box are marked with colors:
Genlock (tip) [BLUE]
S.Bus signal (ring) [GREEN]
Genlock/S.Bus ground (sleeve) [WHITE]
LANC signal (tip) [YELLOW]
LANC power (ring) [ORANGE]
LANC ground (sleeve) [GREY]
Power +12V DC (center pin) [RED]
Power ground [BLACK]
Last edited by Dmitry Shijan on Sat May 13, 2017 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dmitry Shijan

PostThu May 25, 2017 4:24 am

Second batch of the boxes done today!

Last bumped by Dmitry Shijan on Thu May 25, 2017 4:24 am.

Return to Cinematography