Ursa Mini 4.6K to Pro Upgrade!?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Silver

Re: Ursa Mini 4.6K to Pro Upgrade!?

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 am

I got very lucky. I purchased my URSA Mini 4.6k from B&H in late December. When the Pro was announced, I was really disappointed. No upgrade from BMD. I called B&H and asked if they'd be willing to take my camera back, so I could order the pro. B&H's return policy is 30 days. It was already over 60 days.

At first, they said they couldn't do it. I asked them to review my purchases over the many years I've been buying from them (almost 20 years). After a minute, the customer service guy came back and accepted the return of the camera. I got my Mini Pro a few days ago. Very happy.

I'm more of a run and gun guy. The audio is MUCH better. The monitoring of the audio could be better, but the sound is good now.

Adam

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Now that's a real loyalty reward, Adam!

My UM46K PL will be one year old in two weeks. Nothing has gone wrong with the camera since purchased and the original magenta issue has 99% evaporated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Adam Silver

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm

rick.lang wrote:Now that's a real loyalty reward, Adam!

My UM46K PL will be one year old in two weeks. Nothing has gone wrong with the camera since purchased and the original magenta issue has 99% evaporated.

Rick,

My URSA Mini 4.6k didn't have the magenta issue. I don't believe my Pro has it either. I think BMD has done a great job at eliminating or at least minimizing the issue.

I have to admit that I am not a super technical guy when it comes to shooting, so I didn't put my camera through any tests shooting white walls at f/8, etc. I just see amazing images come through, and that makes me happy.

Adam

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Adam, there isn't a white wall in Victoria so I would try to point it at an evenly blue sky. We get that cloudless pure blue sky about three days a year here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Adam Silver

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 am

rick.lang wrote:Adam, there isn't a white wall in Victoria so I would try to point it at an evenly blue sky. We get that cloudless pure blue sky about three days a year here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea, Rick!

chris.white

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Just keeping the dream alive ;)

Norbert von der Heidt

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

The way I see it, the new added UM4.6K Pro features do not make it any less of a cinema camera but do a hell of a lot for making it a more than acceptable ENG/EFP camera now. It is what should have been released in the first place especially since there was the year long GS/RS shutter debacle we had to endure.

These technical developments didn't happen in a vacumn over a weekend, so if BMD was going to be fair dinkum to their loyal customers and knowing how many had been clamouring for a ND filter wheel, ext power switch, interchangeable lens mounts, etc, etc, etc, ...... they should have been straight up with us and said "hey gang, there's an upgrade in development that would address these issues but albeit at a higher price".

Hell, I would have waited another year and paid some more too! Unfortunately, communication isn't one of BMD's strong suits! :(

P.S. - they still insist on calling any power that comes in from the rear XLR4 as A/C with no voltage display ..... which is useless when doing Steadicam and getting power from the sled batteries. :?
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES
www.electricimages.com.au

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Norbert, the manual text on page 11 refers to the 12-20VDC connector at the rear of the camera. The diagram is poorly labelled though.

Rick Lang

Taylor Cahill

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 pm

Norbert, it feels a little like getting burned especially considering my camera was not even usable for four months due to the severe cross hatching caused by a glitch in the debayering.

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 12:07 am

Either way, I'm still happy with the URSA Mini 4.6K. I'm looking forward to what's next. Fingers are crossed for Wi-Fi in the next model.

Now, I'm excited for NAB because DaVinci Resolve 13 and any new editing features.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Michael Moore

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Sorry if i am little offtopic here. I am a ursa mini 4K EF owner and i thinking at upgrade but my budget is very small. I find a owner with new unopened ursa mini 4.6K EF at 3700$ but without invoice and warranty. Worth to sell my ursa mini 4K and buy it? In the store ursa mini 4.6K EF with invoice and warranty the price (with VAT) is 5200 $. Or worth to not sel yet my ursa mini 4K and to wainting moore time for upgrade directly at ursa mini pro? Now in the store the ursa mini pro (with VAT) is 6500$.

chris.white

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Michael Moore wrote:Sorry if i am little offtopic here. I am a ursa mini 4K EF owner and i thinking at upgrade but my budget is very small. I find a owner with new unopened ursa mini 4.6K EF at 3700$ but without invoice and warranty. Worth to sell my ursa mini 4K and buy it? In the store ursa mini 4.6K EF with invoice and warranty the price (with VAT) is 5200 $. Or worth to not sel yet my ursa mini 4K and to wainting moore time for upgrade directly at ursa mini pro? Now in the store the ursa mini pro (with VAT) is 6500$.

I'd be very concerned about buying a "new" unused camera not covered under warranty unless the seller would allow you to return it if it's defective within a reasonable timeframe. Guessing that this is a private seller though, and that's not likely an option.

Given the issues that some have seen with these cameras, there's no guarantee that you'd get a "good" one, and without warranty, you'd could get stuck with a dud with no recourse or path to replace due to manufacturer defect without spending more anyway. So, I'd say stay away and keep saving your $$$.
---
c

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 pm

The first question you need to get an answer to Michael, is when was the camera originally sold, if less than 12-months, then it is still under BM warranty, which is tracked by ser.no. and is transferable.
The 4:6K could give you the clean looking images you want at ISO 800.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Michael Moore wrote:... I find a owner with new unopened ursa mini 4.6K EF at 3700$ but without invoice and warranty. Worth to sell my ursa mini 4K and buy it?

Has the seller given you the story how they came to have an unopened camera that technically cannot be a year old but does not have a warranty? Red flag alert:
Either the dog ate the warranty or the property was stolen during delivery and the invoice intentionally destroyed and they don't want you calling BMD with the serial number or BMD will be calling the local police.

Just let it go to someone without principles.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 am

Yes Rick, new unopened camera and not invoice? Hum.... :roll:
Michael, you should try to get the Ser.No, ask for a photo of the box end with the number on it, and call BM to see if it has been report d stolen, or when the original date of the camera sale or when it was shipped. This would answer most of these questions, especially if the camera has been reported stolen or missing :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Moore

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for yours suggestions! I will be vary careful about this seller. Now return to to topic, worth to buy a ursa mini 4.6K or worth to wait and buy ursa mini pro?

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 4:54 pm

In my opinion, if you need the ENG-like qualities of the Mini Pro particularly for documentary and run-and-gun, the Pro is a better choice. If you are in more controlled shooting situations and especially if you will be tripod mounted much more than shoulder mounted, the Mini 4.6K is fine.

One wrinkle is if you need new neutral density filters. A complete set of IRND filters will cost over $1,000. But that does give you more control of light for the same aperture and shutter angle than having the 3 built-in filters. If you have a matte box, having a full set is good in controlled situations.

When you think about the gear you have or will need and you think about how you work 90% of the time, it's a decision you can make.

Owning the Mini 4.6K, I do think having the built-in IRND filters is a big plus on the Pro. Especially if you don't need to buy other gear. But since I've bought the matte box and the IRND filters anyway, I don't need the Pro except as a convenience. I'm on a tripod almost all the time and do miss some shots when I'm changing IRND, but just changing the aperture may work well too.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Michael, you could also use the VND you are using in your 4K camera, or buy a good 2, 4 and 6 stop ND, like the Firecrest or Nano IRND filters will be sorting $500. But formthe wedding shooting you want to do, the Pro might be a better choice. Think about it for a while, no rush here.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

PK Simone

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Haven't seen anything on this for a while but I asked at NAB at BM booth if new SSD recorder would be compatible with Ursa Mini as well and 2 guys said No and 1 said Maybe they are still working on it.

Taylor Cahill

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 pm

In 2015 the Ursa was on sale for $2000 during black friday. Which would get you a new Ursa Mini Pro for $3495 to $2495 if you sell the original ursa for 3 to 2K.

:evil:

Way to screw over your customers

Taylor Cahill

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

So here is an interesting story, I saw a guy on Craigslist selling the UM4.6 and he missunderstood the Ursa to UMP upgrade offer to include the UM4.6K. He was literally going to sell it and be stuck without a camera or a way to upgrade! I hope this has not happened to other customers!

Last bumped by Taylor Cahill on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm.
Previous

Return to Cinematography