Black issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Massimiliano Biancardi

Black issues

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 10:37 am

Hello everyone,
i'm having issues with my super new URSA Mini pro. In particular i noticed vertical colored lines on blacks. I shooted some test at 800 iso and the result it's really barely acceptable.
Wondering if it's my camera sensor problem or a general BM sensor problem. Even after black shading the probblem it's not solved.

Suggestions, solution, ideas are well accepted.

Greetings from milan

Max

rick.lang

Re: Black issues

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Sometimes a thread gets lost and no one sees it for a day or two. Congratulations on being one of the first to own the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K camera. You should include a raw DNG frame shot with the full sensor to illustrate what you are experiencing.

It might be that you did not perform the Black Shading Calibration correctly and it wouldn't hurt to redo that anyway. Remember to let the camera stabilize for several minutes before a shoot. You may get away without that, but since we're trying to keep any noise to a minimum, that's a good practice. I use a 270 WH battery and turn the camera on before shooting and only turn it off to change a lens or at the end of the shoot.

These steps might help:

Perform this in a room with low illumination.
Set the camera to raw full sensor to play it safe (step may not be needed).
Turn the camera off.
Remove your lens.
Place the body cap on the camera.
Turn the camera on and let it stabilize the sensor temperature by leaving the camera on for at least ten minutes. (You could even record nothing for ten minutes if you wanted to exercise the sensor and camera but that shouldn't be needed.)
Perform the Black Shade Calibration which takes a second or less.
Record some raw full sensor footage with the body cap on if you want to see what fixed pattern noise you'll get although what you see will certainly be noisy.
Turn the camera off.
Mount your lens and carry on with your testing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

thomas bruegger

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I havent seen your images, but I didnt see a 4.6k without fpn in dark areas and i had 3 replacement cameras due to crosshatching problems, they all suffered from fpn. black shade doesnt help on mine. After sendimg Raw files, BM Support says: "the camera is functioning to our manufacturing standards".
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Dara O'Neill

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 12:16 am

Hi Rick,

I was having the same issues with thin vertical navy FPN lines in my blacks on my Ursa Mini Pro. Your stabilize steps above cured that problem but seemed to make similar FPN noise worse in the lit areas. Take a look at the attached screen grab at ISO 200 (footage looked bad also at ISO 400, 800 & 1600). Any help much appreciated.

Must download for full resolution: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B49FU ... TVVbC02d2M

Don't know how to make sure it's a sensor problem and not just a newbie exposure problem. Thanks for all your informative posts on this forum.

All the best,
Dara

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:00 am

Dara, been swamped with video editing and off to an all-night Dry Grad party in an hour. I'll try to review the post tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Dara O'Neill

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:18 am

No problem Rick, I've actually gone much further down the rabbit hole on the issue over on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57403

Thanks,
Dara

Return to Cinematography