Thank you Black Magic!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Ballew

Thank you Black Magic!

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 am

I just wanted to stop for a moment and give a big thank you to Black Magic. You guys are waaaaay beyond awesome. What you did with the BMCC is amazing. There have been people complaining about this and that, but honestly I think you guys did an exceptional job with your first camera. I never thought I would be able to own a camera that shot RAW video and figured I would be shooting on my 5D MKIII the next few years.

However you guys came out of no where and presented the world with the deal of a lifetime. A RAW shooting camera bundled with Resolve for $3,000! On top of that you actually communicate with your customers and use their feedback to improve your product regularly!

It has been a joy using your camera and I just wanted to take a moment and let you know how much your work is appreciated. If all companies could be like you guys the world would be a better place. ;)
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Randy Walters

Re: Thank you Black Magic!

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 am

As far as I'm concerned, this post has the highest signal-to-noise ratio of anything I've seen for a few weeks. +1.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:52 am

Hi brad12d3,

Thanks a lot for the kind words. This means a lot to us. I'll definitely pass this along to the whole team.

Joseph Ciccarella

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 am

Hey Brad,

Wow, great post!

But I think you're on the wrong forum, this one is just for bitching and moaning.
;)
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

earl riddick

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:04 am

you know what brad123d. im glad you posted this. i to was going to post something simalar a while back but for my sins i was to f-ing lazy and honestly i hate getting drawn into forum chat (it nearly always ends up off topic and harsh). the fact is that yes there are a number of things wrong with this camera, so much so to the point where i feel (as much as i want to support bm in this bold veture) that the camera may not be right for me and i may need to cancel my pre order. however i think bm have as you rightfully say bradd done the right thing here. they have taken a bold leap here and given the low budget film maker a really great high spec camera. . if people want all the bells and whistles they have to pay alot more than the frankly incredible £2000. for what its worth bm keep doing the great job and although as i have admitted im not sure the camera in this current build is right for me i fully agree with and commend you decision to keep the cost right down and i can only hope you do the same in version 2. to all those who have bitched about moire, flange issuse firmware etc please note one major thing, at least bm have the grace and integraty to recal and put it right. i didnt see canon or sony doing that at any point. when you buy into a fledgling company then you have to expect teething issuse and delays just as red and many other companys have had. cheers guys and girls at bm for all the hard work levelling the playing field and honestly at this price point (not even taking recalls into concideration) i dont even know how your turning profit.

Bill Rich

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 am

I'd like to echo that statement! I LOVE my BMCC!!!!
Blackmagic design ROCKS!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 am

Thanks for posting this. I have a nice Shape cage and shoulder mount already awaiting a BMCC, a Lanparte matte box on its way, and a Sound Devices MixPre-D also en route... Plus a set of XLR to 1/4 inch balanced cables specifically for recording sound to the BMCC that I'm waiting for. :)

I've reserved my retailer's demo model so I'll get a chance to do a little shooting with it before they head for NAB. I'm also on tap to shoot a documentary, probably in May, so I'm hoping to have my MFT model by then.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Brad Ballew

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:41 am

You know,.. this isn't a perfect camera. Of course what camera is? There are things I wish it had, things that were different about it, etc..

However, the strengths of this camera are pretty awesome strengths, and in my opinion... they far out weigh the weaknesses.

What I think is the ultimate slice of fried gold (thank you Simon Pegg) is Black Magic themselves. The fact that they are communicating with us and that they take action in response to our feedback gives me confidence that this camera will only get better and better. There is a lot of potential here and I wholeheartedly believe the Black Magic will continue to work to make it the best camera it can be.

Being able to have confidence in a company's support is a nice change from the norm. :)
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 am

+1 to everything Brad said in the first post!

Thanks Blackmagic Team! :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Klaus Erharter

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 am

You said it!
+1

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am

+1

They need the stick and the carrot!

:mrgreen:
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

steve connor

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 am

+1 for me as well. In my mind it's the low cost Cinema Camera that others promised, but never delivered. Well done guys.

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 am

Copy that! +1
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 am

I seem to have lost my Mini Violin but yeah, I would agree that this company and the support they have
showed us is phenomenal, and I would sing a song if I could sing, But I can't, so I won't, But In my final thoughts I would like to say... It's about time we have a camera and company that stands behind us with a smile, even though we whine and moan, we need you Blackmagic as of now you are the King of RAW, and you OWN the sub $3000 throne.
:mrgreen: :ugeek:

Dennis Nomer

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 am

Yeah, I will echo this sentiment. I keep beating on the firmware guys to finish the audio meters, but I have to say, this camera has enabled many of us to take our work to a whole new level. We have to bite off learning Resolve, true, and build a nice edit box with substantial storage arrays, but for that we get to play in the big leagues for relative chump change! I think BMD hit the sweet spot in resolution right on the head, the DR of course is the huge draw, the noise is lovely, the lens mount is right in there for this market, and I even like the sensor size, even though I am well aware that there is a huge fad going on right now favoring super shallow DOF.

And I would like to add, your collaborator John Brawley has been a huge help in this forum (and others) posting spot-on perfect posts time after time after time. He sets an example for the rest of us!
Dennis Nomer

John Richard

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

And another +1.

Spend a week with it and time in basic Resolve and you will love it.

The BM team and the folks they worked with in development deserve massive kudos!

Whitehorsevideo

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 6:29 am

BUMP!!!!
If you were crazy enough to pre-order one of these beasties, I'll bet it was because of that 13 stops of dynamic range. That's what it's all about. Not as good as good film, but so way better than what passes for video that it becomes a Holy Grail. Like Lancelot, ya just gotta have one. Now I have a list of 152 things I would have done differently on this thing, but for now I'm willing to work around all that just to hold exposure in the sky behind my subject. I'll probably be starting a "Video Guys" thread about what Broadcast professionals would like to see on this sensor, but the fact that the BMDCC exists at all is a miracle. Thank you crazy Aussies for paying no mind to common sense. Now let's go catch an 18 foot salt water crocodile on light tackle while standing in an 8 foot aluminum skiff....

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 9:15 am

Whitehorsevideo wrote:BUMP!!!!
If you were crazy enough to pre-order one of these beasties, I'll bet it was because of that 13 stops of dynamic range. That's what it's all about. Not as good as good film, but so way better than what passes for video that it becomes a Holy Grail. Like Lancelot, ya just gotta have one. Now I have a list of 152 things I would have done differently on this thing, but for now I'm willing to work around all that just to hold exposure in the sky behind my subject. I'll probably be starting a "Video Guys" thread about what Broadcast professionals would like to see on this sensor, but the fact that the BMDCC exists at all is a miracle. Thank you crazy Aussies for paying no mind to common sense. Now let's go catch an 18 foot salt water crocodile on light tackle while standing in an 8 foot aluminum skiff....

What a Croc! Oh wait! I mean an 18 foot Salt Water Croc? there is no such animal, But the biggest croc of sh*t is a 13 Stops of Dynamic range cinema camera for $3000.00 yeah Horse snot, never gonna happen.

metaljesus

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Sub $3,000 throne?

Sub $10,000 throne more like.

Eric Mc Guire

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah I just received my BMCC and it surpasses my high expectations. I had no idea how heavy (yes the weight) this thing would be and it really feels like a cinema camera.

If you complained, you don't see very far. If you think one can come and play in the Nikon / Canon cartel without expecting any problem you're a very candid person.

I understand more and more today that the day I downloaded Resolve light was one of the best day in my young career. I am very very happy with my BMCC that I received earlier this week. What a great product.
Last edited by Eric Mc Guire on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Waldorff

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 7:14 pm

+1
I'm a 100% admirer of the vision and dedication the creators brought along when going for the BMCC.

Filmfish

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

+1!! 8-)

This give us as filmmakers the ability to compete. I can now shoot a feature that is theatrical quality for the DVD budget I have. You helps us all change the game!! Thanks

jeremyhughes77

PostSat Mar 09, 2013 7:31 am

I'd like to,say thank you as well. For a $3k camera, it's a great tool. It works well and the raw footage is fantastic to work with. I think online/offline is easy and the camera just works. I know it will continue to get better. It means I work differently, yes, but it only takes a few moments behind it and I don't care that I'm using an 8-16 or 16-35 rather than other traditional lengths. The falloff is gorgeous in the highlights. Having worked with Red and Alexa a great deal, this little guy I think sits in there nicely. I honestly like the highlight falloff better than epic. It's clean and pure. All our tools apply with this camera and it's easy to mod. I get DOF I'm happy with. It's a lot of fun. I'm excited to put it on a major upcoming job over the other choices we have.

Return to Cinematography