Ursa mini pro and shutter sync.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Tritschler

Ursa mini pro and shutter sync.

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I'd be surprised if this hasn't come up before, though I have searched the boards.

I'm staring down the barrel of needing a new camera. As part of my due diligence before I commit to the capital outlay I am researching the operational differences between the Ursa MP and the FS7.

I've looked at the specs and can't see any mention of a 'sync' shutter systems on the Ursa MP. Sony have ECS which allows you to tune the shutter speed to sync with among other things, a monitor screen you need to film. Also useful when shooting practicals that would otherwise flicker.

I've recently returned from the mobile world congress in Barcelona where I was constantly 'tuning out' flicker form monitors and other kinds of displays in shot.

My other query is how clients perceive a black magic versus (what they may view as) the safe reliable brand of Sony. One client has already expressed concerns at replacing the use of a hired-in FS7 with the BM UMP. This is due to him reading of BM's (not always fantastic) reliability and customer service record.

It feels to me that if a FS7 went down on one of his shoots he would see that as 'one of those things', but if the same happened to a BM camera product then that would be my fault for buying it in the first place.

Best,

Chris.

John Brawley

Re: Ursa mini pro and shutter sync.

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I've never used it but you can "sync" the camera using the reference input, but you're asking a slightly different question.
Sony call that feature syncro scan.

The short answer is not really, but kind of...

You can adjust the shutter angle / shutter speed. But you don't typically have the range of fine controls to eliminate a monitor roll bar completely.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Chris Tritschler

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks John - that's as I feared.

The term I was looking for was indeed 'Syncro scan'.

Not sure I could live without it now ! That's a huge tick for the FS7.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 am

John, you might have missed this feature then:
When you are in the shutter settings you can double tap the current shutter: <180°>

This opens a setting where you can type in any shutter setting you want.

You can even define the shutter up to two decimal places.

The fastest shutter you can set is 5°, that is 1/1800 for 25fps, 1/1728 for 24fps, and 1/2160 for 30fps.

Formula for converting shutter angle to shutter speed:

shutter speed = 1 / (360 x fps : shutter angle)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to Cinematography